share rss forum feed

markofmayhem
Why not now?
Premium
join:2004-04-08
Pittsburgh, PA
kudos:5
reply to Jan Janowski

Re: [WIN8] Windows 8 --- What benifits over W7-64?

Windows 8 has significant and noticeable technical/performance improvements and enhancements over Windows 7; to claim "none exist" is just a display of not searching, looking, or worse: denying they exist. One of them is the noticeable speed and accuracy in rendering, such as "crisper colors" due to:

Windows 8 includes WDDM 1.2 and DirectX Graphics Infrastructure (DXGI) 1.2. The Desktop Window Manager now runs at all times (even on systems with unsupported graphics cards; where DWM now also supports software rendering), and now also includes support for stereoscopic 3D content.

Other major features include preemptive multitasking with finer granularity (DMA buffer, primitive, triangle, pixel, or instruction-level), reduced memory footprint, improved resource sharing, and faster timeout detection and recovery. 16-bit color surface formats (565, 5551, 4444) are mandatory in Windows 8, and Direct3D 11 Video supports YUV 4:4:4/4:2:2/4:2:0/4:1:1 video formats with 8, 10, and 16-bit precision, as well as 4 and 8-bit paletted formats.

I have a question, though: what does it take for one OS to "have benefit" to another? Should I not have the answer to THIS before comparing two OS's??? Personally, I find little reason to upgrade from 7 at this point, due to budget and time. But Windows 8 does have reasons to upgrade.

Some good reads on the topic:

Wikipedia: New/Improved Features to Windows 8
Technet's list of new/improved Win 8 applications/features(*)
Anandtech: more on the WDDM
Benchmarks: better for games(*)
More Resource effecient than Win 7
Windows 8 best OS ever for musicians?
Audio/Video performance enhancements (*)

(*) = possilbe MS source PR

And more, plenty of information out there. For the negative/critical stuff just search "windows 8" and click anything on the first page of results. As the rule of internet goes in 2012: negative trumps positive.
--
Show off that hardware: join Team Discovery and Team Helix