« 1760 feetaerial fiber »
This is a sub-selection from pathetic

AnonFTW

@rr.com
reply to ArrayList

Re: pathetic

said by ArrayList:

only 305mbps over fiber? wtf is that?!

"Only 305Mbps?" They still have to have sufficient bandwidth at the aggregation points (POPs) where all these last mile connections are muxed.

What irritates me is they are still providing an asymmetrical speed. Just make it symmetrical 305Mbps Comcast.

Regardless, this looks like a knee-jerk reaction to FiOS and not a long term solution since it's delivered over Metro-E.

DaSneaky1D
what's up
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-29
The Lou
What would they use in place of Metro Ethernet?

JTR

join:2012-05-19
Carbondale, IL
Reviews:
·Mediacom
said by DaSneaky1D:

Actual fiber? Although I suppose it doesn't make a difference at these speeds and distances. And it isn't clear if they're using fiber or ethernet for their metro-e installs.

metroman

@pvusd.net
metro ethernet is delivered over fiber

DaSneaky1D
what's up
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-29
The Lou
Reviews:
·Charter

1 recommendation

reply to JTR
Ethernet is just the layer 2 protocol used to transport traffic. Fiber would just be the physical medium to connect the service.

Metro Ethernet is a very common (and still progressing) protocol being used to deliver a very wide variety of services these days. This is happening in place of using SONET or some other TDM infrastructure.

I just ask my question because the anon poster made it sound as if Metro-E was some sort of backwards technology.

tanzam75

join:2012-07-19
reply to JTR
Metro Ethernet is what businesses get when they buy 100-megabit dedicated connections for $2000 a month.

To get access to it as a consumer for $300 a month is a pretty good deal. (Granted, it comes without bandwidth guarantees.)

iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to JTR
+1 to what DaSneakyID said. You can't deliver 305 Mbps down and 65 Mbps up over copper twisted pair 1/3 of a mile. This is definitely Ethernet over a glass light pipe.

The cost per megabit is great, too. A 50M MetroE circuit is well over $1000 per month in 99.9% of places.

rradina

join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO
reply to AnonFTW
Why do you consider Ethernet over fiber a knee-jerk reaction to FIOS?

They are matching Verizon's FIOS product which is also asymmetrical. I do agree that the upload could be symmetrical but Verizon (and probably Comcast too) probably doesn't want cost comparisons from those who currently pay thousands per month because they need that type of upload capability.

skuv

@rr.com
reply to JTR
said by JTR:

said by DaSneaky1D:

Actual fiber? Although I suppose it doesn't make a difference at these speeds and distances. And it isn't clear if they're using fiber or ethernet for their metro-e installs.

Actual fiber? What does that even mean? You have to have a layer 2 network technology to carry it over the fiber.

Be it Ethernet or SONET or whatever. You just don't magically connect fiber and make a network.

tommy2text0

join:2011-05-24
Stratford, CT
reply to JTR
said by JTR:

said by DaSneaky1D:

What do you think they are doing? Do you think they are running Cat-5 cables on the telephone poles lol?