spc
uniqs
sc30002
join:2002-08-15
Springfield, VT

sc30002 to Zizoo

to Zizoo

Re: Speed increase for businss starter - northeast

With speed test its reporting on what you get with PowerBoost. Here in VT mine show's 87-130 with PowerBoost active. For a true test run ShaperProbe
»www.cc.gatech.edu/~parth ··· obe.html
medbuyer
join:2003-11-20
Memphis, TN

medbuyer

said by sc30002:

With speed test its reporting on what you get with PowerBoost. Here in VT mine show's 87-130 with PowerBoost active. For a true test run ShaperProbe

I think that's what the OP and SeattleMatt See Profile are seeing....
JazzJRabbit
join:2003-09-27
Wheaton, IL

JazzJRabbit to sc30002

to sc30002
said by sc30002:

Exactly. I'm on the 12/2 plan and speakeasy speedtest shows 70/30, however any sort of sustained transfer slows down after 10 seconds to the rated 12/2. It would be nice to get a speed boost, 12/2 for $67 is highway robbery, but I'll believe it when I see it.

A question, assuming the speed boost is coming: are business customers going to be upgraded automatically mid-contract, or do we have to wait until our contract ends to "renegotiate" a new one with higher speeds?
medbuyer
Memphis, TN

medbuyer

said by JazzJRabbit:

It would be nice to get a speed boost, 12/2 for $67 is highway robbery, but I'll believe it when I see it.

12/2 for $67 in my area isnt that bad since comparable resi accounts are just $5-10 difference.

you need to consider other things when paying a fee like support / service etc. to justify your cost.
JazzJRabbit
join:2003-09-27
Wheaton, IL

JazzJRabbit

said by medbuyer:

12/2 for $67 in my area isnt that bad since comparable resi accounts are just $5-10 difference.

you need to consider other things when paying a fee like support / service etc. to justify your cost.

I used to have WOW before I moved. They have 15/2 plan for $50/month, month to month no ETF fee, no installation fee when I signed up, modem fee is waived if you bring your own modem. Comcast that I have right now is more expensive, slower, and I'm locked into contract with hefty ETF. So yes, it is bad, and I'm being hosed because I have no choice...
medbuyer
Memphis, TN

medbuyer

said by JazzJRabbit:

I used to have WOW before I moved. They have 15/2 plan for $50/month, month to month no ETF fee, no installation fee when I signed up, modem fee is waived if you bring your own modem. Comcast that I have right now is more expensive, slower, and I'm locked into contract with hefty ETF. So yes, it is bad, and I'm being hosed because I have no choice...

you have a hefty ETF?

I asked my sales guy to put in a no ETF clause in mine, no install fee, but have to pay modem which I chalk it up as insurance that if the service fails they cant blame me or the modem...

besides, my 2 year agreement isnt that bad considering I will really be using it for that period with no thoughts of jumping service here and there....
rmdir
join:2003-03-13
Chicago, IL

rmdir

You have to go to »testmy.net and do a couple of tests with 200 meg download sample size to see what you are truly pulling. Mine is smoking with the speedtest.net test, but reality sets in with testmy.net since it negates Powerboost. I get what I am paying for, nothing more. Even Comcrap tech support admitted the comcast.speedtest.net reading was pure fantasy when I pressed them on it. I wish I'd get 55 Mbps down on our 12/2 connection like their test says.

2nd test was 200 MB, not 20.
rmdir

1 edit

rmdir to medbuyer

to medbuyer
oops, double posted.

ropeguru
Premium Member
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

ropeguru to rmdir

Premium Member

to rmdir
Not sure that I trust testmy.net. I am on a 1Gb connection and they could only serve up 24Mbps to my location.
medbuyer
Memphis, TN

medbuyer

said by rmdir:

You have to go to »testmy.net and do a couple of tests with 200 meg download sample size to see what you are truly pulling. Mine is smoking with the speedtest.net test, but reality sets in with testmy.net since it negates Powerboost. I get what I am paying for, nothing more. Even Comcrap tech support admitted the comcast.speedtest.net reading was pure fantasy when I pressed them on it. I wish I'd get 55 Mbps down on our 12/2 connection like their test says.

shaperprobe is still the best way to go....
said by ropeguru:

Not sure that I trust testmy.net. I am on a 1Gb connection and they could only serve up 24Mbps to my location.

I dont trust any speedtests sites at all...

Extide
join:2000-06-11
Salt Lake City, UT

Extide

Shaperprobe isnt much different than a speed test site... It still downloads data from some server on the net and times it...

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ

EG

Premium Member

said by Extide:

Shaperprobe isnt much different than a speed test site... It still downloads data from some server on the net and times it...

Huh ???
medbuyer
Memphis, TN

medbuyer to Extide

to Extide
said by Extide:

except shaperprobe doesn't count powerboost as data bursts....

the concept maybe the same, but the implementation or process isnt...