join:2010-01-07
Evans, GA
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Comcast

2 recommendations

reply to drew

Re: Business Plan

I think the first thing that needs to be addressed is the profession of journalism. Something needs to change. It used to be about getting the story out first (breaking the news coverage), and then "asking the tough questions". With the advent of the blogosphere, reporters cannot be the first to break the news story, so they run with whatever is going viral and try to be the first to either "ask the tough question" or "sensationalize it into entertainment". I'd like to see the profession of journalism step back from being the "first to break the news" and return to fact-checking and closing up the headlines and viral videos.

The news media could do with more analysts and fewer "reporters" in my opinion, especially given the mass group-think that goes on. The network that can provide the most complete picture of "what is going on" will be top dog... the rest will be regarded as equal to tabloid media operations. I'd pay a monthly fee for credible analysis... but the industry hasn't demonstrated proficiency in this regard yet.

As this money dries up, we'll see more polarization of media outlets as each seeks political favor in hopes of a guaranteed bottom line. This country is extremely paparazzi friendly, so we might also see that cancer experience some rapid growth.
--
Guild leader of Pride and Ego
Immergruen (resto/boomie) on Nathrezim Server (US)
Malanorei (discipline/holy); Esclavizado (blood/unholy)

Intelligence is no substitute for Character.

drew
Automatic
Premium
join:2002-07-10
Port Orchard, WA
kudos:6

said by Immer:

I'd like to see the profession of journalism step back from being the "first to break the news" and return to fact-checking and closing up the headlines and viral videos.
*snip*
The news media could do with more analysts and fewer "reporters" in my opinion, especially given the mass group-think that goes on. *snip* I'd pay a monthly fee for credible analysis... but the industry hasn't demonstrated proficiency in this regard yet.

You value fact-checking. I'd wager that the large majority in this nation does not. Niche markets survive, but typically not at the level of, say the WSJ or NYT.

Someone will have to be the *first* to do this. They have to convince some investors that it's a good idea and I'm not sure we're there yet.
--
flickr | 'Cause I've been waiting, all my life just waiting
For you to shine, shine your light on me