Search similar:

uniqs

jseymour
join:2009-12-11
Waterford, MI

4 recommendations

jseymour

Missing The Story

Many of you are missing the real story, here.

1. Somebody's actually deploying new fiber.

2. This is a direct result of something that's missing in a large part of the U.S.: Competition.

If this turns out to be real, and it turns out it makes money for Comcast, and it turns out it makes VZW sweat, perhaps VZW will up their game. Then Comcast will have to up their game, in response. Perhaps you can see where this is going?

And maybe, just maybe, Comcast will find "Hey, that wasn't so hard. Plus customers really like it and we can make money at it," and choose to deploy it elsewhere... such as in God-forsaken "AT&T" land--against that company's lame DSL-on-steroids. (Tho there's little need, being as Comcast already trounces "AT&T" with their cable product.)

We can hope.

Funny, it would be, if a cable company ended-up being the premier end-user data provider in the U.S., would it not?

Jim

N10Cities
Premium Member
join:2002-05-07

N10Cities

Premium Member

If this were Slashdot, I would mod your comment 'insightful'. Well said!
Os
join:2011-01-26
US

Os to jseymour

to jseymour
Considering all the costs associated with this, I suspect about 8 people will sign up for the service regionwide.

$500 to install, $300 a month for the service, overage fees might come into play soon enough (It is Comcast, remember), and of course, there's geographic limitations as to who can get it within the Northeast.

If anything, this is just going to be used as an example of how there's no demand for FTTH, when the reality is the cost is ridiculous.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

said by Os:

.......... is the cost is ridiculous.

You apparently have no idea what a dedicate line costs from most other sources, if any is available.
this is a very reasonably priced, business class line, which will meet or excced bandwidth needs of most small businesses and can be scaled up to fill the needs of any enterprise.
If you would drop your strawmen about cost and non existant caps, you MIGHT actuallly recognize the gaint step forward this is for business grade competition not just another reseller of telco services.
Expand your moderator at work
Os
join:2011-01-26
US

Os to tshirt

to tshirt

Re: Missing The Story

Except this isn't a business product, it's a consumer product.

Go away, troll.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

It doesn't matter, they are expanding the footprint of fiber, AND off loading that heavy usage from the DOCSIS coax, esscentially extending it's usable capacity.
this is all around consumer win.
chgo_man99
join:2010-01-01
Sunnyvale, CA

chgo_man99 to tshirt

to tshirt
to me as home end user 300mbs is not yet practical (will be soon probably). With the amount I download movies/shows/stream from the Internet and the fact I use it alone, 12mb u-verse for now meets my needs, especially with only $25 per month. For less than $300, I can just go with some basic digital cable package + all premium channels + wide selection of VOD from u-verse or comcast that has even better VOD. While Im in IT field, and I support remote server systems all over the country, my boss wants me to work all days I work in headquarters instead home to "ensure I work", have face-to-face contact with my other 3 coworkers rather than via IM, phone so faster connection for my benefit of telecommuting is out of window.
Arty50
Premium Member
join:2003-10-04

Arty50 to jseymour

Premium Member

to jseymour
If Sonic gets greenlit in SF for 1G FTTH, you can bet that Comcast will be rolling this out there also.