share rss forum feed

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
kudos:1

Credit issue.

I was looking at my credit report and found this anomaly.

Phone Number:(888)777-6842
High Credit/Credit Limit:000000009211
Account Number:XXX...401
Payment Amount:$183.00
Association to Account:
Balance:$4,104.00
Type of Account:Installment
Past Due:Not Available
Date Opened:2004-03
Date of Last Activity:2007-03
Date Reported:2007-03
Months Reviewed:01
Payment History:No payment 30 days late
No payment 60 days late
No payment 90 days late

I know what it is...it was a car loan I had with my ex back in 2004. We divorced in August of 2006 and in March of 2007 the car got totalled and the insurance company paid off the loan. Problem is, Scotia Bank stopped reporting to my credit file and never bothered to say that the loan was paid off. It's not in default as it is "Paid as agreed and up to date". I called the bank, they can't even find the loan because it is so old (more than 4 years) so they say there is little they can do about it.

I have no idea how to remove this. It's really not "good" credit because 1) it is so old and 2) utilization is well over 30% which is a drag on your credit score.

ANGRY!!! AGH!

--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

dragonfly5

join:2012-09-04
Dispute it with the bureau. It would count against your score a bit, I believe. If Scotiabank can't find the file, they can't validate the loan to the bureau either, and it should drop off.

I_H8_Spam

join:2004-03-10
St Catharines, ON
reply to J E F F
It drops off in 2 years, don't touch it. Little blemish isn't a bad thing its easily explainable in a creditor asks for an explanation.
--
AFK: Attack, fight, kill!! The healer is telling you to go pull mobs.
WTF: Way to fight! The healer is applauding your tactical genius

J E F F
Premium
Kitchener, ON
said by I_H8_Spam:

It drops off in 2 years, don't touch it. Little blemish isn't a bad thing its easily explainable in a creditor asks for an explanation.

Unfortunately computers don't ask for an explanation for an unpaid account. I have no idea how much of a ding this is, 30 points or so?

It's just that I might be in the market in 2 years or so for a new car, so I'd like to get the best rate possible.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium
join:2005-03-12
kudos:8
I doubt it would make any difference. The few times I've looked at my credit report there was always some stupid little thing wrong -- I never worried about it and never had a problem with anything. Obviously anything serious should be disputed but credit bureaus seem so monumentally incompetent that you can really drive yourself crazy worrying about the little stuff, IMHO.
--
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan

J E F F
Premium
Kitchener, ON
they also had my wrong birthdate, it was set as the ex-wife. How that got like that I have no idea...but I got that repaired just by faxing them my birth certificate and license and a payroll stub.
--

resa1983
Premium
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON
kudos:10
My hubby had 2 different profiles set up for him for some reason..

1 with his proper name, the other with his middle name (as his first), and his first name (as his middle). Took a few days, but until it was dealt with we couldn't continue our loan process.
--
Battle.net Tech Support MVP

Madwand

join:2002-12-03
Toronto, ON
reply to J E F F
Contact their ombudsman's office or Ellen Roseman at the Star. They'll do a proper investigation and update your file to the way it should be.

J E F F
Premium
Kitchener, ON
I might do that. The issue is with the bank that failed to update the reporting agency. The bank says that they have absolutely nothing on their file. The did say if I can find the VIN number of the car I might be in luck. Being that the car was in the ex's name back when her BF destroyed it, it's doubtful they have that info.

I am thinking of calling up my insurance company though, I wonder if they have it on their file still...but it's been 7 or 8 years...

Oddly, the bank told me to contact the bank where the funds were being taken out of. Like, how the hell would they have all that info?
--

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
reply to Madwand
said by Madwand:

Contact their ombudsman's office or Ellen Roseman at the Star. They'll do a proper investigation and update your file to the way it should be.

Shouldn't need to take it that far. Disputing it with the credit agency should get it removed fairly quick.

Madwand

Toronto, ON
It would be easier to send an email to the OMB or Ellen.

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium
join:2005-03-12
kudos:8

1 edit
said by Madwand:

It would be easier to send an email to the OMB or Ellen.

And it would be easier for the ombudsman's office (don't know about Ellen) to ask why you didn't pursue the obvious escalation path first. Which is exactly what they usually do, and rightly so. It's called an "escalation hierarchy."

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
reply to Madwand
What Wolfie said. Going right to the ombudsman or the media is like trying to kill a fly with a sledgehammer because you were too lazy to find a flyswatter.

Madwand

Toronto, ON
reply to J E F F
Honestly, dealing with first level customer service reps will not likely solve your problem. Sledge hammer avoids unnecessary stress. Plus if it truly is an issue, then Ellen should be writing about it in one of her columns about terrible customer service issues.

henry98

join:2012-06-04
reply to J E F F
you should file a dispute. A friend of mine had an issue on his credit report and got it removed afterward.