spc
uniqs
Lets Go
join:2005-03-05
Homer, NY

Lets Go to ccureau

to ccureau

Re: An alternative...

The Post Standard (Syracuse NY only newspaper) is doing the exact same thing starting Jan. 2013

stevek1949
We're not in Kansas anymore
Premium Member
join:2002-11-13
Virginia Beach, VA

1 recommendation

stevek1949

Premium Member

Until broadband is labeled as a utility, it is a private connection/contract between a user and an ISP. Adding taxes to it is just away to get people to pay for another private enterprise, the newspaper. If it goes through, it won't be the last.

If I do not want to buy a brand of beer, I do not pay an added fee to whatever brand that I buy. If I do not want to pay for a newspapaer, I don't buy it and I don't expect to be backdoor billed for their content. Nobody says that they can't charge a fee for content on the interwebs. I just won't pay for it. My choice.

There are two newspapers in my area, the Virginian Pilot and the Daily Press. One charges a fee for on line content, one doesn't. Guess which one I use? Once again, their choice and my choice.

Anyone can do whatever they please, but they have to also take the consequences of their actions.

Nobody is in business to lose money. I understand that. But when the product is perceived to be worth less than the cost, the usage wanes. It is not my responsibility to make sure that everyone makes money. It is my responsibility that I spend my money wisely.