uniqs

Bamafan2277
Premium Member
join:2008-09-20
Jeffersonville, IN

Bamafan2277

Premium Member

Newspapers already overcharge for online content

My hometown newspaper charges $15 a month to access the paper online in .pdf format each day. Yet you can have it delviered to your home for $7.50 a month.

When I asked them why the online version was so much more they could not explain it. I told them it should be cheaper since they don't have to use paper, ink, electric to run their presses, carriers to deliver the paper etc.
old_wiz_60
join:2005-06-03
Bedford, MA

old_wiz_60

Access a PDF instead of web format??? good grief...and it costs twice what the print version costs?

jazzlady
join:2005-08-04
Tannersville, PA

jazzlady to Bamafan2277

to Bamafan2277
said by Bamafan2277:

My hometown newspaper charges $15 a month to access the paper online in .pdf format each day. Yet you can have it delviered to your home for $7.50 a month.

When I asked them why the online version was so much more they could not explain it. I told them it should be cheaper since they don't have to use paper, ink, electric to run their presses, carriers to deliver the paper etc.

Same here.

My local paper (The Pocono Record) charges $20 a month for the online edition only.

To have both online and home delivery costs a few bucks less.

The paper has been bought by Rupert Murdoch.

Their local printing plant was shut down and moved to another state with lower taxes. The customer support was outsourced to India. Much of the articles are reprints from other sources, and the local stuff is just not very in-depth anymore.

Why should anybody support a business model like this?

If they went to online only, and charged a *reasonable* amount of money- like $20 for the entire year- I might actually consider it.

As it is, they're charging more than the WSJ and they can go to hell AFAIC.