spc
Search similar:

uniqs
boondockEVDO
join:2012-09-25
USA

3 edits

boondockEVDO

Can Antenna, using the wireless card as the conductor?

**EDIT: UPDATE:**
I just tried using a new metal can. It is magnetic but the inside of the can is a brassy/bronze color. The diameter is 4.5 inches, according to the cantenna calculator I put the hole for the MC760 1.6inches from the rear closed end of the can.

I am experiencing better performance than the original can tested but it is still not better than using the card against the window.

---------------------------------

Hello,

I read Jim's information on his EVDO tips website and I believe I see him using his wireless card in place of the usual conductor of a piece of copper wire.

I used a 3 inch diameter can with a hole for my MC760 1.5 inches from the rear.

I noticed that my RSSI went from 89-90 to 100+, my EC/IO increased and my rX Power went from -107/-110 to -115/-125

No matter which way I positioned the can on X, Y and Z axis (facing tower direction) could I improve my numbers over from just taping my card against the window.

I am going to buy the pigtail adaptor and coax cable to make a better and possibly outdoor antenna but I am just wondering if using my air card is a viable test for now.
boondockEVDO

boondockEVDO

I can no longer edit the original post but just wanted to post a follow up in case anyone is google searching and stumbles across this:

Using the card indeed works, you need to have a can with a proper diameter so that you can place the card in the position of the "1/4 Wave" value when using this calculator; »www.csgnetwork.com/anten ··· alc.html ((e.g; 4 inch can needs to have card placed 1.72 inches from the rear of the can))

The position of the card inside of the can needs to be at a proper angle as well (not pivoted/leaning etc) so take your time and make a good slot to fit your card into. I used the punch on a can opener for my initial hole, stabbed a screw driver in to make a hole big enough for some metal snips to fit in to cut out the rest.

It worked but didn't give me too much gains. Still a great cheap hold over until you can get an upgrade.