Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Ken
Premium,MVM
join:2003-06-16
Markle, IN

Need help with an old safe

So my wife and I moved this year and the new house has an old safe in the basement. 1st owner of the house built the house and put in the safe in 1997. In 2003 the bank foreclosed on the house and it sat empty for awhile. We don't know if they moved away, fell on hard times or just plain died. 2nd owner bought the house in 2005 and sold it to us in 2012. The 2nd owner told us they don't know the combination and they have never had it open. They always wanted to open in and see if something is inside but just didn't get around to it. The safe is built into the wall under the basement stairs and it's face is surrounded by a cheap bookshelf in a basement storage room.

On the wall behind the shelf that is just above the safe and centered directly over it is a string of numbers written in pencil on the OSB. I can tell from the way the OSB is installed the original framers of the house did not install it, the 1st homeowner did.

I really believe that is the combination to the safe, but it's written in a obfuscated way. Makes sense if you wanted to write the combo down you would hide it on the wall behind books and then write it in a way that would be hard to decode, but easy enough to remember. This safe only goes up to 100, so a valid number is between 1-100. Also this safe only has 3 wheels, so there are only 3 numbers in the combination. There technically is a 4th number that you hit when the safe opens, but you don't have to remember it as the dial stops on the 4th number. From my research I have learned the manufacturer would have just listed the safe combination as three numbers (10-20-30) and never put down that 4th number. I mention that because it's possible the homeowner wrote down that 4th number, and it looks like the -38 at the end was added at a later date. I have tried every way I can think of to decode this and after trying dozens of combinations I still can't get it. I'm hoping some group brainpower here might help come up with something I haven't thought of. Looking at that combination what does everyone think the real combination might be? Oh and I'm not worried that the internet finds out the combination to my safe, once I get it open and confirm whats inside we will be selling it. I would rather have a modern fire safe as I'm more concerned about fire than I am about burglars.

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
kudos:1
What do you mean that the safe has 3 wheels?

Are you saying there are 3 different discs that can be set to different numbers?

VioletVenom
Lets go Gators
Premium
join:2002-01-02
Gainesville, FL
reply to Ken
Does a correct combination get a "finder's fee" if riches are stashed within?

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
reply to Ken
Are you sure you're making the proper number of revolutions in each direction when trying potential combinations?

Once (if) you get it open, you might find another locked compartment inside!

boogi man

join:2001-11-13
Jacksonville, FL
reply to Ken
locksmith?

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC
reply to Ken
Revolutions usually are as follow

Start spinning several times starting left OR right and stop at the first number.

Then spin in the opposite direction, stopping over the 2nd number after you passed it 4 times.

Opposite direction, stop at the 3rd time you pass the 3rd number.

Opposite direction, stop at the 2nd time you pass 4th number.

Opposite direction until the disc locks (Should be no more than 1/2 turn).

Open

Now which one is 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th could be several possibility based on the fact that the first digit written is 315.

I bet that the "3" in 315 is a hint and not part of the combination.

3 could mean:

3rd set of numbers is fake: 15 - 16 -38 (So you have a 3 number set, follow the directives above, but start at 3 revolutions instead of 4).

Start at 3rd set of numbers: 89-38-15-16

3rd set of numbers is first: 89-15-16-38

Spin 3 times over 16: 15-16-89-38 but you do 3 revolutions instead of 4, and you finish with 1 revolution instead of 2.

Or you can find a safe cracker in the yellowpages. At the same time you can have him select your own combination

mattmag
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois
kudos:3
reply to Ken

From what I could guess, I would try:

LEFT 3 Times around to 15

RIGHT past 15 to 16

LEFT to 89

Alternately, try RIGHT first, but most old ones I've cracked opened start left.

Ken
Premium,MVM
Markle, IN
reply to Ken
said by alkizmo:

What do you mean that the safe has 3 wheels?
Are you saying there are 3 different discs that can be set to different numbers?

It has 3 discs as opposed to a 4 disc lock. So the combination is going to be 3 numbers and not 4 numbers. But someone could write it down as 4 numbers as there technically is a 4th number. But there is no way to go past the 4th number so it doesn't need to be written down or remembered.

said by VioletVenom:

Does a correct combination get a "finder's fee" if riches are stashed within?

I fully expect it to be empty.

said by Bob4:

Are you sure you're making the proper number of revolutions in each direction when trying potential combinations?

Once (if) you get it open, you might find another locked compartment inside!

I looked the safe up quite a bit and the correct combination is 4L - 3R - 2L - 1R
If there is a door with a keyhole I'm sure I will be able to pick it, they don't look to be very complicated locks.

mattmag
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois
kudos:3

And who knows, really. The three could mean "Add 3 to each number" or "take away 3"........ oh my..

ROCINANTE
Original Member 007
Premium
join:1999-06-29
Hartsdale, NY
reply to Ken
That is not a safe combination. Those set of numbers represent the GPS position of where the Mayan armageddon will begin.
--
CRUNCH THIS!

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to mattmag
said by mattmag:

The three could mean "Add 3 to each number" or "take away 3".

That would be my guess.

Probably easier to hire a safe expert (not a locksmith).

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to Ken
By manipulating the lock, can you determine what the last number is? The locks we use at work have a noticeable indent (for lack of a better word) at the last number. Maybe that would give you a clue to decoding the numbers on the wall.

Without knowing one of the numbers in the actual combination, you're unlikely to decode the written combination.

Ken
Premium,MVM
Markle, IN
reply to Bob4
I actually already tried +3 and -3 and then +5 and -5 to each number and just to the first number. I also took 31 16 89 and 15 16 89 and tried them in all possible positions. I really don't want to call someone in, as that takes all the fun out of it. If I get totally sick of this that will be my Plan B. Also I just finished trying all the numbers everyone has posted so far.

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-10
Cortland, OH
kudos:2
reply to Ken
9-7-17-11

Ken
Premium,MVM
Markle, IN
reply to Bob4
said by Bob4:

By manipulating the lock, can you determine what the last number is? The locks we use at work have a noticeable indent (for lack of a better word) at the last number. Maybe that would give you a clue to decoding the numbers on the wall.

Without knowing one of the numbers in the actual combination, you're unlikely to decode the written combination.

I have tried manipulating the lock as well. I can tell that the 3rd disc is higher than the other 2, but I can't discern a clear number from that disc. Each time I go around I write down all the numbers that stand out, and after 20 times around I don't have a clear leader. Part of the problem is this lock is a bit rough and I feel to many things going around.

cowboyro
Premium
join:2000-10-11
Shelton, CT
reply to Ken
Try to see if you can find the sticking points. For an old safe that should be fairly easy. With a bit of luck you can determine the combo in under 1 minute. Look for how combination locks work inside if it's not clear what I mean...

DataDoc
My avatar looks like me, if I was 2D.
Premium
join:2000-05-14
Martinsburg, WV
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Suddenlink
reply to Ken
Dean Safe has a video,

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEYjgOFKR1U

and a website where he offers advice.
»www.deansafe.com/adfrsaex.html

Ken
Premium,MVM
Markle, IN
reply to cowboyro
I know what you are saying. However each time around the dial I find 10-20 sticking points, I think the mechanism is just really old and keeps sticking. It's hard to find a bump when the dial is bumping every 5 or 10 numbers for another reason. I sprayed some PB Blaster around the dial yesterday based on a recommendation I read and it did help some, but not enough.

Ken
Premium,MVM
Markle, IN
reply to DataDoc
said by DataDoc:

Dean Safe has a video,

That video is exactly how I have been doing it.

mityfowl
Premium
join:2000-11-06
Dallas, TX
reply to Ken
I wish my dad was younger. He's 90 now . He could do these safes until about 60. It's a hearing thing. Actually he said he felt it.

I've always liked these stories.

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey
reply to Ken
The other obvious thing is to reverse the digits within each number, i.e., 13-61-98 or 51-61-98 (and +/- 3 and 5).

Ken
Premium,MVM
Markle, IN
I have been doing that as well.

DataDoc
My avatar looks like me, if I was 2D.
Premium
join:2000-05-14
Martinsburg, WV
reply to Ken
There's an 800 number on that page link.

norbert26
Premium
join:2010-08-10
Warwick, RI
reply to Ken
i dont think i seen this suggested. Try ignoring the 1 in 315 and try that as a 35 for the first number and in with other numbers in various order(s) as you have been doing.

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC
reply to mattmag
said by mattmag:

And who knows, really. The three could mean "Add 3 to each number" or "take away 3"........ oh my..

OR if he's so sure that it's a 3 number combination:

16 (-/+3) = 13 or 19
89 (-/+1) = 88 or 90
38 (-/+5) = 33 or 42

As for those saying to safe crack, well I deal with about 5 combination locks at work (3 to 4 numbers each). What I notice is a "tick". It's not heard as much as it is felt as I spin the disc. I don't feel it when I reach the number on the last revolution, but I feel it when I pass over the number while completeing revolutions.

Ken
Premium,MVM
Markle, IN
reply to norbert26
I have tried 31+5=36 and I believe if it was 35 it would have opened when I dialed 36. From what I understand the tolerance is sloppy enough that you can dial 1 number in either direction of the correct number and it still opens.

bottomside

@tmodns.net
reply to Ken
other ideas: check the bottom and back of the safe for numbers.
a saw or angle grinder with diamond wheel will open but destroy it.

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC
reply to Ken
BTW Ken, when you tested all your combinations, did you try turning the disc in the opposite direction at the very end, see if it locks up? Safes at my work require that move, otherwise they don't unlock.

When you try your combinations, first try opening it without turning the disc after the last digit, and if it doesn't work, try turning the disc. At least you'd be covering that possibility at the same time.

norbert26
Premium
join:2010-08-10
Warwick, RI
reply to Ken
another thought comes to mind. since there are so many different possibilities i assume you are writing down and keeping a record of everything you tried. Try each twice just in case you missed something / mis dialed on first attempt.

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC
I second Norbert.
Even with the correct numbers I still have some safes that are moody. They'll either open on the first try, or not open until after 3-4 attemps.