share rss forum feed

Ken
Premium,MVM
join:2003-06-16
Markle, IN
reply to Ken

Re: Need help with an old safe

said by alkizmo:

What do you mean that the safe has 3 wheels?
Are you saying there are 3 different discs that can be set to different numbers?

It has 3 discs as opposed to a 4 disc lock. So the combination is going to be 3 numbers and not 4 numbers. But someone could write it down as 4 numbers as there technically is a 4th number. But there is no way to go past the 4th number so it doesn't need to be written down or remembered.

said by VioletVenom:

Does a correct combination get a "finder's fee" if riches are stashed within?

I fully expect it to be empty.

said by Bob4:

Are you sure you're making the proper number of revolutions in each direction when trying potential combinations?

Once (if) you get it open, you might find another locked compartment inside!

I looked the safe up quite a bit and the correct combination is 4L - 3R - 2L - 1R
If there is a door with a keyhole I'm sure I will be able to pick it, they don't look to be very complicated locks.

mattmag
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois
kudos:3

And who knows, really. The three could mean "Add 3 to each number" or "take away 3"........ oh my..

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

said by mattmag:

The three could mean "Add 3 to each number" or "take away 3".

That would be my guess.

Probably easier to hire a safe expert (not a locksmith).

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to Ken

By manipulating the lock, can you determine what the last number is? The locks we use at work have a noticeable indent (for lack of a better word) at the last number. Maybe that would give you a clue to decoding the numbers on the wall.

Without knowing one of the numbers in the actual combination, you're unlikely to decode the written combination.

Ken
Premium,MVM
Markle, IN
reply to Bob4

I actually already tried +3 and -3 and then +5 and -5 to each number and just to the first number. I also took 31 16 89 and 15 16 89 and tried them in all possible positions. I really don't want to call someone in, as that takes all the fun out of it. If I get totally sick of this that will be my Plan B. Also I just finished trying all the numbers everyone has posted so far.

Ken
Premium,MVM
Markle, IN
reply to Bob4

said by Bob4:

By manipulating the lock, can you determine what the last number is? The locks we use at work have a noticeable indent (for lack of a better word) at the last number. Maybe that would give you a clue to decoding the numbers on the wall.

Without knowing one of the numbers in the actual combination, you're unlikely to decode the written combination.

I have tried manipulating the lock as well. I can tell that the 3rd disc is higher than the other 2, but I can't discern a clear number from that disc. Each time I go around I write down all the numbers that stand out, and after 20 times around I don't have a clear leader. Part of the problem is this lock is a bit rough and I feel to many things going around.

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey
reply to Ken

The other obvious thing is to reverse the digits within each number, i.e., 13-61-98 or 51-61-98 (and +/- 3 and 5).

Ken
Premium,MVM
Markle, IN

I have been doing that as well.

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
kudos:1
reply to mattmag

said by mattmag:

And who knows, really. The three could mean "Add 3 to each number" or "take away 3"........ oh my..

OR if he's so sure that it's a 3 number combination:

16 (-/+3) = 13 or 19
89 (-/+1) = 88 or 90
38 (-/+5) = 33 or 42

As for those saying to safe crack, well I deal with about 5 combination locks at work (3 to 4 numbers each). What I notice is a "tick". It's not heard as much as it is felt as I spin the disc. I don't feel it when I reach the number on the last revolution, but I feel it when I pass over the number while completeing revolutions.