Question The Current Paradigm
Premium
join:2000-11-08
Da Bronx
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Clearwire Wireless

My Concern

My concern about all of this is that the majority of actual on the ground and investigative reporting is being done by the major newspapers. Once they are gone, where will the source of real news come from? Bloggers? The wire services depend on papers for much of their income, defund that, and even more news gets unreported.

The press, historically newspapers, is a vital component of our democratic system. One has to be circumspect when dealing with a critical institution.

I don't think this is merely a problem with ludite management, although that's certainly partly to blame. In the electronic age we must find a way to preserve our ability to get accurate and timely information. A tax or fee of some kind doesn't seem to be a bad way to attack the problem. In the past, if you wanted to know what's happening in the world and in your government, you bought a newspaper. This purchase funded the news gathering operation. Today, with everything free on the net, where does the money to fund the news gathering come from? Well, that's why I must have a paper copy of the NY Times delivered even though I have an electronic subscription. Yes, the business model has to change, but it has to be a "business model" which involves revenue.

Since this is a critical institution which affects all, perhaps it should be publicly funded.

Bob

--
"Remember, remember the fifth of November.
Gunpowder, Treason and Plot.
I see no reason why Gunpowder Treason
Should ever be forgot."

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people"