how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

dib22

join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO
reply to boondockEVDO

Re: Antenna advice for my Virgin Mobile MC760? Overkill?

said by boondockEVDO:

I get decent speeds but the constant disconnections or pauses is what the problem is. I imagine it is because my signal is so poor it keeps dropping off?

Yes or the towers footprint shrinks due to high use...either way an antenna would help you.

I am going to try a coffee can antenna today. It seems I don't even need to attach it with an antenna cable? I can just put my modem inside of it, according to the photos on Jim's website.

Yup I've seen it work myself... make sure its a metal normal sized coffee can... a friend of mine told me they didn't work and he had one of those plastic coffee containers

*EDIT* I wanted to add there is only one Virgin Mobile tower in my area. However, there are a couple of other towers intercepting or nearly intercepting my tower's line of sight.

remember with virgin mobile and boost your are looking for sprint towers.

boondockEVDO

join:2012-09-25
USA
I have found the AT&T towers but none of the sprint towers are labelled in any of the maps nor in the additional details in my area. There is a cluster of about 4-5 towers to the west of my location and I imagine the sprint tower must be one of those.

I am attempting to use a cantenna right now with my wireless card inside as the conductor. I am not seeing any gains over simply taping the card to the window.

It is a light brass colored metal that is magnetic, a decorative tin that is 4.5 inches in diameter, the card's hole is 1.6inches from the rear of the can.

dib22

join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO
said by boondockEVDO:

It is a light brass colored metal that is magnetic, a decorative tin that is 4.5 inches in diameter, the card's hole is 1.6inches from the rear of the can.

Coffee cans are a little over 6 inches in diameter... not sure that that would make the difference... you might not be reflecting the full wave with a 4.5 inch diameter... not positive however.