join:2001-05-09
Frederick, MD
ARRIS SB6141
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite
Ubiquiti UniFi AP

JAAulde

MVM

Small business financial software

I searched the web and this forum for this topic, and don't see much of an up to date discussion on the matter. So I'm dredging it back up.

My wife has started a new small business. Can anyone recommend a business financial software for the Mac? Everything I see in the App Store is labeled as "personal finance" or just looks like a toy.

Thanks,
Jim

mack1951
Universal Soldier
join:2000-04-18
Bayonne, NJ

mack1951

Heard lots of good things about FreshBooks but have no personal experience with the product.
»www.freshbooks.com/

Stacy
FotoDogue
Premium Member
join:2001-11-02
New York, NY

Stacy to JAAulde

Premium Member

to JAAulde
Quickbooks
»quickbooks.intuit.com/

SixOfNine
Brake In A Ladylike Manner.
Premium Member
join:2001-08-30
Sterling, VA

SixOfNine to JAAulde

Premium Member

to JAAulde
When I was a one-person C-corp. I used MYOB. I started out with the Mac version and was able to port it to Windows when I switched machines. However, that ended at the end of 2003.

It was a full-featured small business accounting program -- I even printed my own paychecks.

They're still around -- the company is now called Acclivity, the software is called AccountEdge, and they still offer a Mac version.

»accountedge.com/

JAAulde
Web Developer
MVM
Frederick, MD
ARRIS SB6141
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite
Ubiquiti UniFi AP

JAAulde to Stacy

MVM

to Stacy
said by Stacy:

Quickbooks
»quickbooks.intuit.com/

So as I mentioned, all the discussions I had seen on the matter were old, but they all talked about how bad Quickbooks for Mac was. Has that changed?

Thanks!
Jim
JAAulde

JAAulde

MVM

said by mack1951:

Heard lots of good things about FreshBooks but have no personal experience with the product.
»www.freshbooks.com/

said by SixOfNine:

When I was a one-person C-corp. I used MYOB. I started out with the Mac version and was able to port it to Windows when I switched machines. However, that ended at the end of 2003.

It was a full-featured small business accounting program -- I even printed my own paychecks.

They're still around -- the company is now called Acclivity, the software is called AccountEdge, and they still offer a Mac version.

»accountedge.com/

Thanks to you both, I'll take a look.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

skeechan to mack1951

Premium Member

to mack1951
I would never let my accounting be done by the cloud. They disappear you are done. They go down and you're stuck (as happened to me many times with Quickbooks Online.

Fusion or Parallels + Quickbooks Win unless you want headaches.

JAAulde
Web Developer
MVM
Frederick, MD
ARRIS SB6141
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite
Ubiquiti UniFi AP

JAAulde

MVM

said by skeechan:

I would never let my accounting be done by the cloud. They disappear you are done. They go down and you're stuck (as happened to me many times with Quickbooks Online.

Fusion or Parallels + Quickbooks Win unless you want headaches.

Yeah, I agree with the cloud issue. But there is a Mac version which is not cloud based.

neuronbob
Cavs NBA Champs 2016
join:2000-03-30
Bedford, OH

neuronbob to JAAulde

to JAAulde
I tried all the Mac solutions and they are all lacking. In my business, I finally had to use Quickbooks for Windows via Parallels. . Sad to say, but it's a good solution.

JAAulde
Web Developer
MVM
Frederick, MD
ARRIS SB6141
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite
Ubiquiti UniFi AP

JAAulde

MVM

said by neuronbob:

I tried all the Mac solutions and they are all lacking. In my business, I finally had to use Quickbooks for Windows via Parallels. . Sad to say, but it's a good solution.

Well, it's a possibility. I run VMWare Fusion so I can set it up easily. I am just worried about my wife needing to fire up a virtual machine all the time. *sigh*

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

skeechan to JAAulde

Premium Member

to JAAulde
I've used the Mac version of Quickbooks and it sucks. I RAN back to the Windows version running on Fusion. The only reason I chose Fusion over Parallels (because Parallels is faster) is that I get better DOS printing support in Fusion. If you're running parallels, QB would run great.

JAAulde
Web Developer
MVM
Frederick, MD
ARRIS SB6141
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite
Ubiquiti UniFi AP

JAAulde

MVM

said by skeechan:

I've used the Mac version of Quickbooks and it sucks. I RAN back to the Windows version running on Fusion.

When was this?

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

3 edits

skeechan

Premium Member

QB for Mac 2012. I'm not bothering to try 2013. 2012 was a buggy mess not file compatible with Windows (which is what your accountant will be using) or Turbotax (if you are trying to do your taxes yourself). You have to export for Windows and mine NEVER exports right.

EDIT - the Windows side payroll service is also cheaper. I pay $249/yr for my unlimited employee service while Mac Payroll is $40/mo $47.50/mo...they just took another increase.

JAAulde
Web Developer
MVM
Frederick, MD

JAAulde

MVM

Hmm, bummer

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

Not really, Fusion and Parallels start automatically when starting QB Win and once open I just leave it open.

Mike
Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA

Mike to JAAulde

Mod

to JAAulde
I thought people generally liked »www.iggsoftware.com/ibank/

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

I wouldn't use it for business accounting but that's me.

neuronbob
Cavs NBA Champs 2016
join:2000-03-30
Bedford, OH

neuronbob to JAAulde

to JAAulde
I do use iBank for my personal finances. I would not dare use it for my business, though, as it is simply not robust enough.