Search similar:

uniqs

dnoyeB
Ferrous Phallus
join:2000-10-09
Southfield, MI

dnoyeB

Fitbit Aria Wifi Scale

Has anyone taken the time to find out why this scale will not communicate properly with some wifi routers? It seems that it gets an IP but then does not use it when its connected to my home wifi router. But when connected to my phone's Wifi, it is happy.

Just wondering if any has done the heavy lifting already?

bbarrera
MVM
join:2000-10-23
Sacramento, CA

bbarrera

MVM

Sorry can't help, working here connected to Airport Extreme with no problems.

dnoyeB
Ferrous Phallus
Southfield, MI

dnoyeB

bbarrera, what is your Network configuration? Do you have a firewall? Any port forwarding? Is the Aria under NAT?

Thanks!

bbarrera
MVM
Sacramento, CA

bbarrera

MVM

The FitBit scale is connected to an Apple Time Capsule on 2.4GHz band, configured using WPA2 Personal and 802.11b/g/n.

Separate firewall (Zyxel USG50, no port forwarding, entire LAN is under NAT). Pretty vanilla setup.

dnoyeB
Ferrous Phallus
Southfield, MI

dnoyeB

damn! I'm on my second AP and still this thing will not properly connect to Fitbit.

What is your USG passing out for a DNS server? Itself?

bbarrera
MVM
Sacramento, CA

bbarrera

MVM

I've got an OSX Server running DHCP and DNS, it hands out itself as the first DNS, and the NAT router as the secondary DNS.

dnoyeB
Ferrous Phallus
Southfield, MI

dnoyeB

Interesting. My Aria seems to work all the way up to the point where it needs to contact the fitbit website. There it fails. I haven't been able to full put wireshark to use because I think WiFi behaves like a switch in that it will not forward one client's packets to another.

Tonight I will be setting up a VLAN which should allow me to see all data passing to and from the Aria. Maybe Ill see something then...
dnoyeB

dnoyeB

From what I can tell, the DNS query from the Aria is being ignored. The only thing special about the query is its UDP checksum is set to 0000. That is supposed to be legal. Just means there is no UDP checksum. But I don't see any other difference.

Still, I don't know why yours would work and mine not. Also why would it work over my cellular network!? Can you send me the IP of your DNS server from your ISP. My only guess is that some ISP are ok without checksum but some are not.

My cellular network does not seem to tell me the name of its DNS servers.
dnoyeB

dnoyeB

If you wouldn't mind, and have the tools, can you tell me if your Aria's DNS queries have a UDP checksum or are they also 0000?

Thanks!

bbarrera
MVM
Sacramento, CA

bbarrera

MVM

All dns queries go to my Mac OS X Server, which forwards to OpenDNS. I don't think I'll have the time to capture packets this weekend.

dnoyeB
Ferrous Phallus
Southfield, MI

dnoyeB

I wonder how your DNS server feels about UDS packets without checksums? Any idea off hand?

Aria tech support is contacting me so maybe they will have an answer.

bbarrera
MVM
Sacramento, CA

bbarrera

MVM

No clue. The DNS server on current OS X Server is BIND 9.8.3-P1, and as I said, its configured to forward non-authoritative requests to OpenDNS servers.