08034016 (banned)
Hallo lisa Aus Amerika
join:2001-08-31
Byron, GA

08034016 (banned) to odog

to odog

Re: [GA] COX Rude Reps.

said by odog:

Does your router have a bit counter in it? Secured or not bandwidth can be used.

I have this Router
»homesupport.cisco.com/en ··· rs/E4200

odog
Minister of internet doohickies
Premium Member
join:2001-08-05
Atlanta, GA
Nokia BGW320-505

odog

Premium Member

said by 08034016:

said by odog:

Does your router have a bit counter in it? Secured or not bandwidth can be used.

I have this Router

the Cisco firmware doesn't support it, you would to load something like DDWRT.(which your router does support)

That would however give you direct numbers you could compare against the usage meter.
08034016 (banned)
Hallo lisa Aus Amerika
Byron, GA

08034016 (banned)

said by odog:

said by 08034016:

said by odog:

I have this Router

the Cisco firmware doesn't support it, you would to load something like DDWRT.(which your router does support

DDWRT?? cox should have something like a meter you can use?

No_Strings

join:2001-11-22
The OC

No_Strings

They do. It's on the Internet Tools page when you log into My Account.

Not a bad idea for you to monitor it at the router, though, and compare. Trust, but verify.

odog
Premium Member
Atlanta, GA
Nokia BGW320-505

odog

Premium Member

said by No_Strings:

Not a bad idea for you to monitor it at the router, though, and compare. Trust, but verify.

exactly, we have a meter. This would be for you to use yourself, and verify what our meter said. It sounded like you thought it was impossibly high due to the fact that you have a secure network and it was something to do with leaving your cable modem on?
08034016 (banned)
Hallo lisa Aus Amerika
Byron, GA

08034016 (banned) to No_Strings

to No_Strings
said by No_Strings:

Wish i could download this program and not look it up on their page I dont download nothing just surfing some banking? and using 260GIG which Windstream has no Cap on their service i mean really in 2012?

Also whats this Program are you talking about for the Router?

to odog
said by odog:

said by No_Strings:

exactly, we have a meter. This would be for you to use yourself, and verify what our meter said. It sounded like you thought it was impossibly high due to the fact that you have a secure network and it was something to do with leaving your cable modem on?

Its funny how when i had my Cable modem off everyday at night for the past 11 yrs i never got a e-mail like this and since i have it on this e-mail happen's?

odog
Premium Member
Atlanta, GA
Nokia BGW320-505

odog

Premium Member

said by 08034016:

said by odog:

said by No_Strings:

Its funny how when i had my Cable modem off everyday at night for the past 11 yrs i never got a e-mail like this and since i have it on this e-mail happen's?

Not related, unless someone is somehow getting on your wireless? Properly encrypting the wifi, is the key there. But simply having the modem turned on does NOT cause bandwidth to be used.

No_Strings

The OC

No_Strings to 08034016

to 08034016
dd-wrt is a third party firmware which unlocks or adds features to the router. I haven't used it, but based on what I've read, a bandwidth meter is one such feature.

Your router already tracks this, by the way, but probably not in a user friendly sort of way - packets sent and received vs. megabytes.

Most routers also have the capability of SNMP communications which allows you to run something like Cacti to keep track. »www.cacti.net/
08034016 (banned)
Hallo lisa Aus Amerika
Byron, GA

4 edits

to odog
said by odog:

Not related, unless someone is somehow getting on your wireless? Properly encrypting the wifi, is the key there.

Its Secured....

Just surfing that's all today its at

2hrs 40 minutes

Sent bytes 8,303,000
Received bytes 65,000,000

So Cox Communications is saying am using 8.6 Gigs per day? am not even downloading.

BTW if i find out if someone used my network i doubt it i will SUE for "Theft of Services""

LAW O.C.G.A. 16-8-5 (2010)
16-8-5. Theft of services

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536 to No_Strings

Premium Member

to No_Strings
said by No_Strings:

Most routers also have the capability of SNMP communications which allows you to run something like Cacti to keep track. »www.cacti.net/

Would that be the same SNMP that cox has locked down?

No_Strings

The OC

No_Strings

Irrelevant. This is all done on the LAN side.
08034016 (banned)
Hallo lisa Aus Amerika
Byron, GA

3 edits

08034016 (banned)

Slow down its a freaking Joke i cant even get you any speed tests from any site because there's no upload!!!!

Any youtube video cuts off every 5-10 secs my Internet cut off 3 times today within 2 hrs

I hope this is maintenance..
quote:
Current Software Revision: DPC3010-v302r12901-110516a-COX
Firmware Name: dpc3010-v302r12901-110516a-COX.bin
Firmware Build Time: May 16 2011 17:09:15
Cable Modem Status: Operational

Downstream Channels

Power Level: Signal to Noise Ratio:
Channel 1: -2.9 dBmV 36.8 dB
Channel 2: -2.7 dBmV 37.0 dB
Channel 3: -2.8 dBmV 36.3 dB
Channel 4: -3.1 dBmV 36.5 dB
Channel 5: 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB
Channel 6: 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB
Channel 7: 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB
Channel 8: 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB

Upstream Channels

Power Level:
Channel 1: 40.7 dBmV
Channel 2: 0.0 dBmV
Channel 3: 0.0 dBmV
Channel 4: 0.0 dBmV

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536 to No_Strings

Premium Member

to No_Strings
said by No_Strings:

Irrelevant. This is all done on the LAN side.

i guess cacti is different than docsdiag.

No_Strings

The OC

No_Strings

I have no idea what docsdiag is, but the OP was asking about how to monitor traffic at the router .... or at least was over a month ago when the issue was being discussed. There are tools to interrogate the router via SNMP, if the router supports it. Cacti is one of those tools.

What Cox does with SNMP on their network is irrelevant to the conversation, just as it was in September.
chuckkk
join:2001-11-10
Warner Robins, GA

chuckkk

What can happen is that the "node" equipment the user connects to is improperly programmed by Cox. All or a large part of the node traffic may be echoed to the users of that node.
In the past, I've actually looked at incoming data streams to my modem that are passed through to the router, and found a lot of data streams intended for other subscribers on the same node.

odog
Premium Member
Atlanta, GA
Nokia BGW320-505

1 recommendation

odog

Premium Member

said by chuckkk:

What can happen is that the "node" equipment the user connects to is improperly programmed by Cox. All or a large part of the node traffic may be echoed to the users of that node.
In the past, I've actually looked at incoming data streams to my modem that are passed through to the router, and found a lot of data streams intended for other subscribers on the same node.

The node isn't programmed? The node is just an optical to electrical converter. What you seem to be talking about is the nature of how broadcast, unicast, and multicast traffic work. You would see broadcast/multicast traffic for your layer3 neighbors, thats normal.
chuckkk
join:2001-11-10
Warner Robins, GA

chuckkk

"Node" was a poor choice of words. The neighborhood is rigid coax, and maybe eventually converted to fiber. What I was trying to say is that some of the "usage counters" used by IPs seem to also count stuff not really related to a users actual usage. I don't know what they actually call the equipment that sees customers RF carried data these days, multiplexes a group of users together, and then sends the data to the IP's routers.

bbeesley
join:2003-08-07
Richardson, TX

bbeesley

said by chuckkk:

I don't know what they actually call the equipment that sees customers RF carried data these days, multiplexes a group of users together, and then sends the data to the IP's routers.

Cable Modem Termination System

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ca ··· n_system