Search similar:

uniqs

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

jmck

Disconnects in Ottawa

over the last few week i've noticed more and more that my modem would lose connection (couldn't ping/traceroute anything beyond my modem's internal IP), it seems it would magically fix itself on it's on after 5-10 mins or instantly if i rebooted the modem.

the last 2 days it's been happening more and more (2-4 times/day) so i finally decided to bring exchange the crappy SMC3DGN for a Cisco but it's doing the same.

Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this? Rogers tech support says all my levels are good

Downstream:
Power Level: Signal to Noise Ratio:
Channel 1: 10.0 dBmV 41.7 dB
Channel 2: 9.8 dBmV 41.8 dB
Channel 3: 9.9 dBmV 41.7 dB
Channel 4: 9.6 dBmV 41.9 dB
Channel 5: 9.9 dBmV 41.5 dB
Channel 6: 10.1 dBmV 41.8 dB
Channel 7: 10.1 dBmV 41.6 dB
Channel 8: 10.1 dBmV 41.6 dB

Upstream:

Power Level:
Channel 1: 36.2 dBmV
Channel 2: 36.4 dBmV
Channel 3: 35.9 dBmV
Channel 4: 36.7 dBmV
MichelR
join:2011-07-03
Trois-Rivieres, QC

MichelR

I've noticed this twice in the past 10 days or so. The first time I had no Internet access for a little over one hour (a Rogers tech was in the building hooking up a new tenant, so I left a note on his truck just in case something happened while he was in the electric room). Then earlier this week at lunch time I lost access for a few minutes. I thought that was just wifi interference, but my VoIP line was done too. Haven't noticed anything else, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen. I was really surprised because my connection has been almost hiccup-free for over 6 years.

hurleyp
join:2000-06-20
Ottawa, ON

hurleyp to jmck

to jmck
I'm on the Richmond Road phub and my connection has been solid for weeks. To which phub are you connected?

Jhero
Premium Member
join:2003-10-10
Ottawa, ON

Jhero

Premium Member

I'm on the flfrd phub and I've noticed brief interrupts in service as well but nothing ever major above 3-5 minutes
MichelR
Trois-Rivieres, QC

MichelR to hurleyp

to hurleyp
said by hurleyp:

I'm on the Richmond Road phub and my connection has been solid for weeks. To which phub are you connected?

How does one find that out?

Rogers Agent
@eastlink.ca

Rogers Agent

Anon

If you go into the command prompt and do a tracert out, the second or 3rd hop should be your phil.. Should show cmtsyy.xxxxx.phub.net.cable.rogers.com

The x's would be ur phub.
MichelR
Trois-Rivieres, QC

MichelR

Thanks. I guess somebody somewhere knows what this is:

xe6-1-2.gw02.ym.phub.net.cable.rogers.com

hurleyp
Ottawa, ON

hurleyp

Check out the Rogers FAQ on phubs for a list:
»Rogers HiSpeed FAQ »What is a phub and shub? What are the names of Rogers phubs and where are they

According to the FAQ, "ym" is York Mills - far from Ottawa.

I assumed I connect to the Richmond Road phub. But since it's been some time since I checked, I decided to run a tracert. Much to my surprise, it appears that I now connect to the grnsbr phub which, according to the FAQ, is Greensboro Drive in Toronto.

Is Rogers connecting Ottawa customers to Toronto now??
MichelR
Trois-Rivieres, QC

MichelR

That's weird...
chronicposer
join:2012-09-29
Ottawa, ON

chronicposer to hurleyp

to hurleyp
I to live in ottawa and seem to be going through the bloor PHUB now.. what is going on?

Ottawa Mike
@rogers.com

Ottawa Mike to hurleyp

Anon

to hurleyp
said by hurleyp:

Check out the Rogers FAQ on phubs for a list:
»Rogers HiSpeed FAQ »What is a phub and shub? What are the names of Rogers phubs and where are they

According to the FAQ, "ym" is York Mills - far from Ottawa.

I assumed I connect to the Richmond Road phub. But since it's been some time since I checked, I decided to run a tracert. Much to my surprise, it appears that I now connect to the grnsbr phub which, according to the FAQ, is Greensboro Drive in Toronto.

Is Rogers connecting Ottawa customers to Toronto now??

I to live in Ottawa and it appears i am also connecting to Toronto PHUB.

so-5-0-0.gw02.bloor.phub.net.cable.rogers.com

I used to connect to the slnt which is St Laurant .. i live just off St Laurant.. why would i be going through the TO PHUBS

kirkg13
@rogers.com

kirkg13

Anon

I'm also in Ottawa, and also see the bloor phub in a tracert...

My internet connectivity has been very inconsistent for the last month...

I'll keep monitoring this.

Michael613
@rogers.com

Michael613

Anon

I live in old ottawa south and this has been frequently happening for the last two months, multiple times a day..

Last week Rogers was over and switched out my SMC for a Cisco. This morning my connection died just as I was sending an email. I stared at the modem this time and watched it reset itself on it's own.

I wish there was an alternative in my neighbourhood..

elitefx
join:2011-02-14
London, ON

elitefx

said by Michael613 :

I wish there was an alternative in my neighbourhood..

Well this is the problem. Were like rats in a cage. There is no place to turn. There's Rogers, Bell and the TPIAs that leech off Roger's useless network.

We can thank government deregulation for this fine mess we're in. More competition and lower prices my butt...........

Jac
@rogers.com

Jac to jmck

Anon

to jmck
I live in Ottawa west and have had many lost connections over the last few weeks. I already switched out my modem and have spent hours on the phone with Rogers. They also say my levels are good.

It's especially bad between 5 and 11 pm. No use even trying to get on the internet at that time.

Again, no other options in my neighbourhood.
Dee Bee
Premium Member
join:2005-05-08
St Catharines, ON

Dee Bee to jmck

Premium Member

to jmck
See this thread also, it may be the same problem:

»Reset Issues

hurleyp
Ottawa, ON

hurleyp to jmck

to jmck
Weird things happening with using tracert to determine which phub is in use. This morning I ran 'tracert microsoft.com' and the first phub it reported was rchrd. That's Richmond Road, my expected local phub. But when I ran the same tracert about 10 minutes later, the first phub was ym (York Mills).

I can only guess at what is going on. Perhaps Rogers is doing some kind of load balancing in Ottawa, resulting in some off-loading to Toronto? For what it's worth, my connection to the 'net is generally solid.

ChuckcZar
@teksavvy.com

ChuckcZar to MichelR

Anon

to MichelR
Bollocks! The internet has been shot in Ottawa for the past two years for everyone on dsl, vdsl, fiber, cable and dial-up. The only thing working in Ottawa is satellite internet.
MichelR
Trois-Rivieres, QC

MichelR

said by ChuckcZar :

Bollocks! The internet has been shot in Ottawa for the past two years for everyone on dsl, vdsl, fiber, cable and dial-up. The only thing working in Ottawa is satellite internet.

How about... No?

elitefx
join:2011-02-14
London, ON

elitefx

My docsis 3 Express internet is complete garbage here in London also. Grade "A" ping times, zero packet loss yet this is what I've been getting for a week now:

removethrott
@rogers.com

removethrott to jmck

Anon

to jmck
Hi,

I've also been experiencing slow downs for the last week. Also being routed through bloor phub.....

1 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms phub.net.cable.rogers.com [192.168.0.1]
2 * * * Request timed out.
3 10 ms 11 ms 14 ms 24.156.150.105
4 11 ms 11 ms 28 ms 69.63.249.18
5 14 ms 23 ms 24 ms so-5-0-0.gw02.bloor.phub.net.cable.rogers.com [6
.185.81.77]
6 24 ms 29 ms 24 ms gi-3-1.gw04.wlfdle.phub.net.cable.rogers.com [66
185.93.82]
7 * * * Request timed out.
8 42 ms 68 ms 41 ms ge-3-1-8-p191.pat1.nyc.yahoo.com [216.115.96.119

9 40 ms 39 ms 38 ms ge-0-0-0.pat2.bfz.yahoo.com [216.115.97.209]
10 38 ms 44 ms 41 ms ae-4.msr1.bf1.yahoo.com [216.115.100.25]
11 41 ms 41 ms 42 ms xe-2-0-0.clr1-a-gdc.bf1.yahoo.com [98.139.232.93

12 41 ms 39 ms 41 ms et-17-1.fab5-1-gdc.bf1.yahoo.com [98.139.128.45]

Speedtests on the internal rogers site max out. All external sites are extremely slow.