Jenison, MI

jman642

Directions on Telneting to your SpeedStream 5260

To get at your Efficient Networks SpeedStream 5260:

1st) Verify that the TCP/IP protocol is installed and your IP is
set to 10.0.0.x and subnet mask is set to 255.255.255.0 or
255.0.0.0 (both work)

Q: How do I Verify my TCP/IP Settings?

A: Right click on Network Neighborhood (assuming your using Windows 98), then properties. The Network window opens. Scroll down to
find TCP/IP - 'your network card' (be aware there may be more
that one if you have a dial-up connection. that would look like
TCP/IP - Dial-Up Adapter). Click on that listing. click on
Properties. The TCP/IP Properties window opens. Select the IP
Address tab. Here you can see your IP Address & Subnet Mask.

Q: How do I install TCP/IP, because its not listed for my network
card (NIC)?

A: In the Network window that you have open, select the Add...
button, select Protocol, then Add... Now, in this exact sequence,
select Microsoft from the right side and TCP/IP from the left
(you may need to scroll down). Now click on OK. At this point it will ask you for the Windows 98 CD and eventually want to restart
you computer.

Q: OK, TCP/IP is installed, how do I put in the right settings?

A: Refer to 'Q: How do I Verify my TCP/IP Settings?' to get to the
right place. Once you click on the IP Address tab, select Specify an IP address:, then in IP Address: type 10.0.0.2 and in Subnet
Mask: type 255.0.0.0 (note: a couple of different settings work
here, as I mentioned above)

2nd) Telnet to your SpeedStream 5260 on 10.0.0.1.

Q:
How do I Telnet? [Moment of truth!]

A:
(again in Windows 98) click on Start, then Run... Type 'Telnet
10.0.0.1' without the quotes. A Telnet window will open. It also
may try to connect to your ISP (I'm using RASPPPoE and the Dialup
Connection widow opens... Just hit the Cancel button). You should
see 'Command-)' in the Telnet window. FYI, the connect process
only should take a couple of seconds. If it takes longer, it
probably won't connect. If that is the case, verify that you
don't have any other devices on your network using 10.0.0.1 as
the IP address. Also, verify you TCP/IP setup is correct. I have
seen mention that the install tech's may disable a telnet session
in. I don't ~believe~ that is possible, but I do know that the IP
address or subnet mask can be changed. If that is the case, good
luck, because I have no answer to that.

3rd) Run commands in the telnet session.

Q: How?

A: It's pretty basic. Use the '?' to get help, either general or
specific. For instance, at the 'Command-)' prompt, type '?'
(with out the quotes, of course) and hit Enter. you should see:

----------------------------------------------------------------

Command Description

show Shows system information, status, IP configuration

set Sets configuration parameters

delete Deletes NAPT server entries, routes, or PVCs

default Sets various parameters to factory defaults

clear Clears statistics

reboot Reboots the router

firmware Downloads new firmware to the router

getconfig Set router configuration from a file

putconfig Save router configuration to a file

quit (exit, logout, logoff) exits command session

logout (exit, logout, logoff) exits command session

logoff (exit, logout, logoff) exits command session

exit (exit, logout, logoff) exits command session

atmping Tests the ATM link by transmitting an OAM loopback cell

ping Sends datagram round-trip to specified IP host

traceroute Traces the route (hops) from the router to an IP
address

This is a list of all the top level commands. You are able to
type some of the commands without any options. For instance, type
'show' to see the General Bridge Information. Or type 'show ?' to
see its options

Some commands do need the options, though. Now type 'set ?' and
you'll see:

Command Description

bridge Enables or disables the bridge function

bridgefilter Enables or disables bridge filtering

bridgemac Enters MAC address into the bridge filter table

dsl Sets DSL interface state to reset, connected, or disconnect

ethcfg Sets the Ethernet communication mode

ethip Sets Ethernet IP address, and network mask

hostname Sets the system hostname

ipgateway Sets the IP gateway (default route)

password Sets a new password for the router

spantree Enables or disables spanning tree

vc Configures virtual circuits

This is a list of all the second level options. To see what a specific command does type 'set ethip ?' and you'll see:

---------------------------------------------------------------

usage: set ethcfg (full | half)

---------------------------------------------------------------

Allows configuration of the data transmission direction of

the Ethernet interface. The interface can be set to 'half'

(one-way transmission at a time) or 'full' duplex (transmission

in both directions at once). The default setting is 'half'.

I believe you can use this notation to get help on every command available in the router, although I haven't tested every command

BTW, the 'set ethcfg full' command shown above is the only thing
that I have changed on my SpeedStream 5260. This ~should~ help if
you have a full duplex NIC. DO NOT use if you NIC is half duplex
or you are unsure.

Warning: Changing some of these settings my make it impossible to connect to the internet. I cannot take any responsibility for
any changes you might make. Be sure to save or write down every
change so you can change it later if it doesn't work. USE AT YOUR
OWN RISK. Also, DO NOT enable Bridgefilter. I have heard from many people saying that it will make you 5260 useless.

Lastly and optionally, remove the TCP/IP... binding from you NIC
in the Network window (find you NIC, click properties, then click
Bindings, then uncheck TCP/IP) as I have found that if TCP/IP is bound to my NIC,
while I am on the internet, there will be a
30Sec. pause every 5min. or so. This will remove the TCP/IP
protocol from you computer (unless its bound to another NIC) and will prompt you to restart. At this point you will not be able to
telnet to the SpeedStream 5260, unless you add TCP/IP back.

Now that you know how to get in, post any SpeedStream 5260 speed
or security tweaks that you come up with, as the only one I've
know of is setting it to Full duplex.

-Jason

jman@cris.com

[text was edited by author 2000-10-17 12:49:49]
jman642

jman642

Some additional Info.

I have found out that if your TCP/IP protocol has a specific IP address set (as outlined above) it will not exhibit the 'temporary pausing' I mentioned above.

So, there is no need to remove the TCP/IP protocol

yuniverse
join:2000-07-14
Federal Way, WA

yuniverse

But you wouldn't be able to connect to the internet if you have PPPoE or DHCP. you need a static IP, wouldn't you?

FROSTY
MVM
join:2000-08-10
Leeds, AL

FROSTY to jman642

MVM

to jman642
You stated...

(snip)
I have seen mention that the install tech's may disable a telnet session in. I don't ~believe~ that is possable, but I do know that the IP address or subnet mask can be changed. If that is the case, good luck, because I have no answer to that.
(snip)

If the IP address or subnet mask has been changed, a program such as LANScan can be used to determine the modem's IP configuration. If bridge filtering has been enabled, the modem will not allow itself to be accessed with a telnet program. The bridge filtering must be disabled or the modem must be reset to factory defaults. In either case, this must occur without the telnet interface. I do not know how this can be accomplished, but I sure would like to know.

scoob1
join:2000-07-07
Riverton, UT

scoob1 to jman642

to jman642
I have been looking for "tweak" information for the speed stream 5260 modem for some time now. seems no one really knows how this modem/bridge really works.

I had set my 5260 to full duplex a while ago and didn't notice any difference in my uload dload speeds. did anyone else who changed that setting see any differences?

I would like to thank jman642 for posting this. perhaps now we can learn more about the settings and get these things running to their full potential.

thanks again,

scoobie

reeder
join:2000-07-30
Ballwin, MO

reeder to jman642

to jman642
OK...I'm a Goober! What is Telneting and what can I do. Sheesh, I hate being the dummy.
--
Reeder

jman642
join:2000-01-25
Jenison, MI

jman642 to yuniverse

to yuniverse
>>>But you wouldn't be able to connect to the internet if you have PPPoE or DHCP. you need a static IP, wouldn't you?

Well... I was using RASPPPoE and had no problems with a static IP on my TCP/IP. I believe the PPPoE software is it's own protocal that uses the NIC, so PPPoE and TCP/IP would work in tandem.

unreged
join:2000-09-06
Sandy, UT

unreged to jman642

to jman642
Did you discover telneting in yourself? I've used google to search for the 5260 and can't find anything interesting...

I've set the modem to full duplex:

Command-> show ethcfg

--- Ethernet Configuration
Ethernet Mode - Full

But the fd light on my switch doesn't light, I've also tried pluggin directly into a nic, rebooting, etc... so does the fd light up for anyone? Switching from half to full, I have to reboot the modem to reconnect, but going from full to half, I don't have to.

I've changed the ip to 192.168.x.x with no problems.

FTP'd down my config.. that was cool for some reason..

I've played around changing stuff in the vc, without blowing anything up or anyhting happening..

I was originally looking for info on interleaving since I'm with Cavad, but this is all I've found:..

Line Type - Fast or Interleaved

MrCornell
join:2000-04-06
Seattle, WA

MrCornell to jman642

to jman642

Great thread!

I had fun playing with my Speedstream 5260....

I like the way it tracks it's uptime...mine was up for 33 days until I rebooted it (switch half to full duplex).

What I want to know is...if someone knows your modem's hostname (default: SpeedStream) couldn't they theoretically telnet into your DSL modem from the greater Internet and fuck shit up?? Hmmm....beware of Hackers!!!

Maybe I should password my Speedstream....?

CJ30
join:2000-07-18
USA

CJ30 to jman642

to jman642

Re: Directions on Telneting to your SpeedStream 5260

I know I have a full duplex NIC but when I go to full duplex I can't connect. Could it have to do with my hub? I probably just answered my own question.

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
join:1999-05-28
Billion BiPAC 7800N
Apple AirPort Extreme (2011)

justin to MrCornell

Mod

to MrCornell

Re: Great thread!

Since the IP address you can get in on is only 10.0.0.2, that is only available from the inside of your network..
So I (the hacker) know that your speedstream is 10.0.0.2, and so is everyone elses, the info is useless to me.. 10.x.x.x does not get routed by anyone.
Hostnames are just a layer over IP addresses, so thats no issue..

bcool
Premium Member
join:2000-08-25

bcool

Premium Member

my 5260 is connected to a router so I imagine before telnet
I would need to connect modem directly to NIC, right?
is there substantive improvement by going full duplex?
so happens my NIC supports full duplex but if the change
in modem configuration yields little in performance, maybe
it's not worth the hassle...
--
"in flante delicto"

MrCornell
Seattle, WA

MrCornell to jman642

to jman642

Ohhhhhhhh..... :)

Is that why they call 10.0.0.XXX private addresses? Hehe...

Funny thing is, now that I have my modem and NIC both running full-duplex, if I download a file fast enough (say, 160 KB/s ) I get mad collisions...I really don't think a network consisting of 3 nodes (2 computers, 1 modem) should have collisions...am I doing something wrong? Should I plug the modem into the uplink port instead of port 1?

tkoonce
@ltrkar.swbell.ne

tkoonce to jman642

Anon

to jman642

Has anyone found a hub that actually shows full duplex? Here is info from Speedstreams website:
http://support.efficient.com/KB/5000/30496.HTM

Problem or Question:

When connecting 5010 or 5250 to my auto-sensing 10/100Bt ethernet adapter, 5010/5250's ethernet led stays amber or never comes on
at all when it should turn green. Why?

Resolution Summary:

There are some 10/100 chips out there that my not detect our 10Bt correctly. Therefore, a work around would be to set your card (or hub port) to 10Bt and half-duplex.

Thanks for the help guys! I have a Linksys Model EZXS55W and it DOES NOT sow full duplex!
tkoonce

tkoonce

Anon

The Linksys Model EZXS55W is a 10/100 SWITCH/HUB http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?prid=149&grid=7 but it does not show full duplex. Just needed to clarify things a little better. Thanks Guys!

unreged
join:2000-09-06
Sandy, UT

unreged to justin

to justin

routing to privite ips?

never mind

[text was edited by author 2000-10-05 01:41:50]
Lasker2
join:2000-05-10
Danville, CA

Lasker2

Hubs

A hub is a "dumb", layer 1 device. All it does is link physically link computers connected to it together, it does not care about mac addresses, or any protocols. If one machine sends a packet it goes to every machine connected to the hub regardless of their settings. The machine will then read the higher level protocol headers and trailers to determine whether it will accept the packet. Using a hub is like connecting all the computers on one cable.

Switches, on the other hand, are a layer 2 device, meaning that they read mac addresses. If computer A wants to send to computer B, the switch will read the mac address and give the two machines a dedicated connection (not shared), so A's packet would not go to C, D, and E, as it would on a hub. This dedicated connection allows for Full duplex communication, there is not a hub that can do full duplex. You need a switch or a router to do that. A router is a level 3 device, by the way, which means it handles IP addresses.

MrCornell
Seattle, WA

MrCornell to jman642

to jman642

What is a bridge then?

lasker
@cc.ca.us

lasker

Anon

A bridge is a layer2 device designed to connect network
segments together. It keeps local traffic from
travelling to the other network by reading the mac
addresses. So if Pc a on segment 1 wants to send to pc b on segment 1, the bridge would say hey, this frame is
for a pc on this side, I won't send it over to the
other side.

jman642
Jenison, MI

jman642 to unreged

to unreged
said by unreged:
Did you discover telneting in yourself? I've used google to search for the 5260 and can't find anything interesting...

I knew about telneting before I got the 5260 and knew that some sort of communication must be possible, even thought the booklet said that there was 'no user configurable parameters'.

I got my info from posts here at dslreports.com and usenet (deja.com searches). Essentially all of the info was spread across many posts and I just put it together in an easily readable format

[text was edited by author 2000-10-17 12:20:46]
System

to jman642

Anon

to jman642
i tried this with 5250 and i get timeout (i use windows 2000) and i have 2 network cards in this computer... but i "think" i tried everything.... any idea what else i can do?

jman642
Jenison, MI

jman642

said by speeder:
i tried this with 5250 and i get timeout (i use windows 2000) and i have 2 network cards in this computer... but i "think" i tried everything.... any idea what else i can do?

Not a lot of info to work from, but I've got some random thoughts:
1st) the 2nd NIC adds a fair amount of complexity... possibly pull it and see what you can get.
2nd) Do you get a response when you PING 10.0.0.1? ...you should. Mebby the 5260 is setup differently, try LANScan (do a hotbot.com search for it) to track it down...?
3rd) Are any other devices on you LAN using the IP 10.0.0.1?

HoolyGun
join:2000-08-21
Plantsville, CT

HoolyGun to jman642

to jman642

Am I capped?

show conn shows RX RATE = 1184, TX = 128
my plan is 1.5/128
am I capped within my 5260???

--
"You're only as fast as your slowest link."
[text was edited by author 2000-10-23 22:57:40]

MxxCon
join:1999-11-19
Brooklyn, NY
ARRIS TM822
Actiontec MI424WR Rev. I

MxxCon to jman642

to jman642

Re: Directions on Telneting to your SpeedStream 520

i used to use 5250 w/ my prev isp(nic->5250->world) and one night i desided to scan all private ip ranges w/ port 23:)
nothing...
however 5250 must have some type of config util becuase i flashed it's bios to newer ver..
would be interesting to run connection monitor during that bios flash to see where/how it's connecting.

[text was edited by author 2000-10-25 03:37:24]

Roundboy
Premium Member
join:2000-10-04
Drexel Hill, PA

Roundboy to jman642

Premium Member

to jman642

Crap... i read your post today because i enabled bridge filtering on my speedstream...

I now see at the bottom this was a no no....

Any way to get in now? Telnet is out.. any hardware reset anybody knows of?
--
Eric Davis
Eric_Davis@Mindspring.com

andygfor
@snantx.swbell.ne

andygfor

Anon

I did the same thing by enabling bridefiltering. I called speedstream Co and they told me bluntly that it is not possible to undo this since what has been enabled filters out all packets that go in to the router. In basic he said that telneting voids warranty and that I have an expensive paperweight on my hands.
System

to jman642

Anon

to jman642
Several questions have been asked, and not responded to, so I would, respectfully, submit them again!

First, does changing the 5260 from half to full duplex REALLY make any difference? I have been trying to tweak out at much speed as I can, i have a full duplex Linksys card, but I am not going to risk screwing with it, if it doesnt matter that much, so what is your experience those who have done it?

Second, I have two computers connected to a netgear switch and into the modem. Can I get to the modem through the modem? Or do I need to disconnect everything and run straight from the NIC to the modem?

Third, I am using the router to establish the link to the PPPoE service provider, so I dont have the PPPoE software installed as the router negotiates the connection, and the software was bloated and I got rid of it; so do I have to reload all of the software and have an internet connection to do the direct telnet to the modem (perhaps stupid question, but lets get them all out here shall we?)

Fourth, if I disconnect everything, hook directly to the modem from the NIC, change the TCP/IP settings, telnet to the modem, are the settings I change (the duplex) in memory or will they be destroyed by turning off the juice (electric) to the modem?

I think that is about it...by the by, my modem has been rock solid, no probs. I just want to tweak if I can.

Thanks in advance...

Bruce

p_ld
@mix1.Bloomington.cw.

p_ld

Anon

Hi
I have not been as lucky as some of you are. I tried getting flashcom to come and install dsl, and they tried covad and northpoint to come do the installation, and it did not work. All I got from them are 2 modems (3 COM SDSL) and Efficient Speedstream 5260 modems at no charge. One of them even installed the network jack into my wall. Apparently the problem is with the phone company or something like that.

Anyway, my question to you is this: Can I use any of those modems to get any kind of dsl service? They even gave me the IP addresses but I don't think they work. Any help you can provide me will be appreciated. Remember, I have been unable to get DSL from anyone.

Thank you. SOrry for sounding like a dummy.
Kash
p_ld@hotmail.com

jman642
Jenison, MI

jman642 to Anon

to Anon
said by phaethon:
First, does changing the 5260 from half to full duplex REALLY make any difference? I have been trying to tweak out at much speed as I can, i have a full duplex Linksys card, but I am not going to risk screwing with it, if it doesnt matter that much, so what is your experience those who have done it?
Specifically, I have no idea if it truly and actually helps by setting it to full duplex. Mostly because I have, nor have I read of anyone, doing any specific tests on this. In theory it will help.
said by phaethon:
Second, I have two computers connected to a netgear switch and into the modem. Can I get to the modem through the modem? ( you mean switch, I'm sure ) Or do I need to disconnect everything and run straight from the NIC to the modem?
You do not need to disconnect the switch to telnet to the 5260... more info in the next answer...
said by phaethon:
Third, I am using the router to establish the link to the PPPoE service provider, so I don't have the PPPoE software installed as the router negotiates the connection, and the software was bloated and I got rid of it; so do I have to reload all of the software and have an internet connection to do the direct telnet to the modem (perhaps stupid question, but lets get them all out here shall we?)
You've got a bit of a mix of stuff here, but lets see... You do not and should not have the PPPoE software on any of your computers connected to the router... the router will take care of that for you. The problem is that once you put a router in between a computer and the 5260, you lose the ability to telnet to the 5260. I have not figured out any way to get around this and my requests for help on this issue have gone unanswered.
said by phaethon:
Fourth, if I disconnect everything, hook directly to the modem from the NIC, change the TCP/IP settings, telnet to the modem, are the settings I change (the duplex) in memory or will they be destroyed by turning off the juice (electric) to the modem?
The 5260 will remember all changes until they have been changed. Turning the power on and off will not change them... if fact, there is no known way to reset this modem back to factory defaults. I have spoken with many who have pulled this thing apart to no avail. That is why you must never turn on Bridge Filtering, 'cuz once its on, then you can never get in to turn it off or to reset it.
System

Anon

Cool, thank you for responding!

OK, you answered most of my questions, the only one I still have is...assuming that I bypass the router, and, by going through the switch (you were correct on your correction, sorry), telnet to the modem, may I do so without connection to the internet or any of the software stuff on?

You also mentioned later removing the TCP/IP protocol from the network properties attached to the NIC, should I do this given my set up? If I want to communicate over my LAN, will I be able to without the TCP/IP function? And may the router still work without the TCP/IP function?

Thanks in advance!!!

Bruce
page: 1 · 2 · next