Search similar:

uniqs
OneWorld9
join:2010-12-09
East York, ON

1 recommendation

OneWorld9

TekSavvy - glorified reseller, not ISP

TekSavvy Solutions Inc. is probably the worst "ISP" (read: glorified reseller) I've ever had to deal with. Granted, Canada doesn't have a lot of options ... and I left Rogers to try TekSavvy, mostly due to their better rates and bandwidth options. I have been with TekSavvy since Jan. 2011, using their cable Internet service (via Rogers).

Here are the things I've had to put up with:

1. Being disconnected twice, for days - who knows why? Best guess: Rogers conducts audits on their connections, and when I wasn't a "Rogers" customer anymore (or, rather, a Rogers customer who pays TekSavvy), they disconnected my cable because I wasn't on the Rogers list of customers.

2. Two months of extremely poor Internet connection, because TekSavvy oversubscribed their services. Who did they blame? Rogers. After telling them several times what a breach of service this was, they finally gave me a small credit.

3. When you call TekSavvy, be prepared to wait on the phone for hours. When you finally do talk to someone, if they say they will call you back, they won't. I decided that was useless. Luckily, you can also reach them through DSLReports. Support isn't much better, but at least someone will answer you and you don't have to waste quite as much time.

4. Two to three months of intermittent Internet service (ongoing) - works fine during the day, but between midnight and 7 a.m. it's basically gone. Best guess? Rogers is doing maintenance in my area. TekSavvy can't give me any clear reasons why this is happening, and several tickets opened with Rogers to find out why come back as "no problem". Of course, no support is actually available during that time frame to check what the problem is ... let's put 2 and 2 together, shall we?

5. Support is pretty much useless (see above). Most of the time, after power cycling your modem and resetting it to factory default, and asking you to spend hours gathering logs (which most people would really have no clue how to do without an IT background), they will have to pass things on to Rogers. Alright, understandable - but here's where things get good... they have to e-mail Rogers, and you have to wait up to 2 days to hear back from them to see if Rogers will do anything about it. Most of the time, Rogers will come back with "no problem found". If you dispute this, guess what? TekSavvy will gladly ask you to waste a bunch of time reproducing the same logs, and will open another ticket with Rogers ... which will, of course, rinse and repeat the above.

I guess the old adage holds true... you get what you pay for.
Nemo888
join:2005-12-25
Canada

Nemo888

Your experience sounds oddly familiar,.......but the Teksavvy technicians said I should go to the Direct forums to get told it was all somehow my fault.

I must say it was NEVER like this before Rocky got sick. Whoever took over is a piece of crap who doesn't deserve to be in the same room as him.

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

1 recommendation

sbrook to OneWorld9

Mod

to OneWorld9
Your connection from your home to the TekSavvy POI in the Rogers head end is provided by Rogers. The connection from there to the "internet" is provided by TekSavvy.

So, most of the time any problems between your home and the TekSavvy POI to Rogers is the fault of Rogers, and unfortunately because of Rogers distrust and arrogance, they give TekSavvy no tools whatsoever to find out what is going on with your connection.

Any problems after the POI are indeed TekSavvy's ... such as overloaded interconnects. BUT even those could be Rogers fault because they are very slow about providing extra connectivity for 3rd party ISPs.

No company would be able to fundraise enough capital to install wire or fibre to every home, so the only option is the wholesale purchase of incumbent services.

So, it's not a reseller ... but it's not a full end to end ISP either. It's a hybrid.

Unfourtunately a lot of the problems you've experienced were created by the CRTC being too liberal with the incumbents on a service level standard for repairs etc.
OneWorld9
East York, ON

OneWorld9

I understand all the reasons why TekSavvy support is abysmal, but that doesn't change the fact that it is ... why provide a service that you actually cannot reliably provide in the first place? Sure, when you don't have a problem things work well... and when you do, that's when you *need* to be able to get proper support. TekSavvy willingly points the finger at everyone else. Why should the customer care about all of their problems? When you say you'll provide a service, you need to provide it. I don't see anything in their marketing / sales pitch that says, "We'll only be able to help you if our suppliers are cooperative and the CRTC is nice to us." What kind of business runs this way? As far as I'm concerned, hybrid or not, if they can't support their customers they're just a reseller.
vientito1
join:2009-01-09

1 recommendation

vientito1 to OneWorld9

to OneWorld9
I'd like to give you some perspective. In 2002 I worked for a contractor who provided technical support service to Rogers. I was constantly bombarded with irate customers who complained of unfixed problems for weeks on ends. What's new under the sky? Rogers cable internet service is at best mediocre. They can afford to be like that because there are not real competitors in the market.
OneWorld9
East York, ON

OneWorld9

Be that as it may, I had Rogers Internet for several years prior to switching to TekSavvy. I can count on one hand how many times I've had a problem with their service, nothing like I experienced with TekSavvy. Calling Rogers (regardless of the time of day) got someone on the phone who resolved the issue within 24 - 48 hours. I'm not saying Rogers is great, and I especially don't like their monopoly on things (which is reflected in their inflated pricing), but at least it worked. At the end of the day, you want your Internet to work. I'm OK with short outages here and there, but not the kind of ongoing issues I've seen with TekSavvy, and the incompetent level of support you get when you have them.
xdrag
join:2005-02-18
North York, ON

2 edits

xdrag to OneWorld9

to OneWorld9
The grass is always greener on the other side.

No company is perfect but you have to settle with what you want to pay.

TSI has evolved over the last few years to survive.

If it wasn't for the indie ISPs, bell and rogers would still be getting away with 7/1 meg with 50Gb caps.

Unfortunately as much as we hate them, Rogers and Bell still hold a lot of political and industrial power in Canada. They own most of everything. They can get away with what they want.

So it's really a personal choice. If you feel like the incumbents are better, you can go back. For others, what TSI offers is the better alternative. There's no contracts like the big 3 to tie you up so you're free to switch. If you feel like that extra $5-10 gets you better service from rogers or bell, then do it.

I've been with TSI longer than the majority of the people here and it's never been so bad that Rogers or Bell would be better choice for me personally.

Oversubscribed? been there, every single damn one.
Long wait times? I use the direct forum here which is a good alternative.
Intermittent service? man, even you said it. rogers is doing maintenance. How would a rogers line be better if they're working on the whole area.

whatever makes you happy is the way you should spend your money. life is too short to write a pure rant on a forum and losing it over internet. Buy a fibre connection if you want, grab a beer, take long walks and be happy.

TSI Andre
Premium Member
join:2008-06-03
Chatham, ON

2 recommendations

TSI Andre to Nemo888

Premium Member

to Nemo888
said by Nemo888:

Your experience sounds oddly familiar,.......but the Teksavvy technicians said I should go to the Direct forums to get told it was all somehow my fault.

I must say it was NEVER like this before Rocky got sick. Whoever took over is a piece of crap who doesn't deserve to be in the same room as him.

I'm sorry that you felt blamed. If you can link me that thread, I'd love to make sure we weren't passing the buck to you.

As for your statement about Marc, our CEO which took over when Rocky left, he has done so many things for this company that most of you will never see. He took the bull that was rapidly heading towards a cliff and steered it back to success. He is largely responsible for today's success.

So if you think that Marc's actions is putting TekSavvy down the toilet, I am sorry but you are completely wrong. You just need to take a better look on DSLr to see what great things he brings.

Andre

TSI Jonathan
Premium Member
join:2011-08-24
Chatham, ON

1 recommendation

TSI Jonathan

Premium Member

said by TSI Andre :

As for your statement about Marc, our CEO which took over when Rocky left, he has done so many things for this company that most of you will never see. He took the bull that was rapidly heading towards a cliff and steered it back to success. He is largely responsible for today's success.

+1

fourboxers
Mod
join:2003-05-04
Toronto

fourboxers to OneWorld9

Mod

to OneWorld9

(topic move) TekSavvy - glorified reseller, not ISP

Moderator Action
The post that was here (and all 6 followups to it), have been removed.
Cloneman
join:2002-08-29
Montreal

Cloneman to OneWorld9

to OneWorld9

Re: TekSavvy - glorified reseller, not ISP

And yet another 1-page thread complaining about Installation problems.

TLDR;

Yes, Teksavvy is a glorified reseller. But you knew this before signing up. Everyone who creates a one page thread knows this, because they are well versed in how the relationships work. And yet, when it affects them personally, they can't help but rage.

If you want incumbant-level service, you go with an incumbent. They have the advantage of being able to expedite a request and there's no middleman, and they have billions of dollars to try and retain you as a customer, and have direct access to field technicians.

I'm tired of these threads. You want wholesale companies to offer you the whole package? Complain to the CRTC and your government to give them more rope.
funny0
join:2010-12-22

funny0 to OneWorld9

to OneWorld9
funny isnt it that in 6 years with tsi ive had one day where i had issues and i'll add the speed is stable ....if only i could get better dsl here then the 5megabit ( i know about the 6 megabit stuff but thats not what i mean , i'm like we got a complex with ten rooms here and 4 of us have internet.....a 25/7 would or could be a seller here
be nice to have 10/2 of it and give the other guys on a capped cogeco wireless 5/1 uncapped.....

but hey im not the person doing line upgrades .....

NightMayor
join:2010-04-28
York, ON

NightMayor to Cloneman

to Cloneman
But he is right. You can't keep offering a decent service if there isn't one to begin with. Just look at all these threads in the forum. There seriously needs to be a more effective way to fix these problems instead of filing a ticket then waiting days/weeks/months. Yes, "independent" ISPs are not godsends, they have problems too. But all this waiting around for a "decent" reply is terrible. There has to be a better way especially with all this growth that's happening. How are you guys supposed to be a proper competitor to Rogers when there are a ton of threads and complaints of high upstream power, back-to-back disconnects, slow speeds, high packet loss, etc..
KKaWing
join:2007-06-14

KKaWing

They have no power over Rogers. CRTC (the regulator) has no bite, and cannot enforce rules even if they were granted. Teksavvy uses Rogers and Bell's lines (think driveways linking your house to the main road). The only people that can maintain that link is Bell / Rogers themselves. Nobody else can touch it. Only form of asking for help is through email. Their hands are pretty much tied at that point.

For TSI there is no other alternative (that is feasible) beyond Rogers and Bell. Even if they have capitol to build out the "3rd line" (read fiber optic to the home) they still have to go through municipal red tape.

I've been telling people about TSI as follows:

It is a pain to setup, and repair if things go south. The price you pay for the speed and "bandwidth" you use is significantly cheaper. If dealing with TSI which has to go through a middle-man to get anything done is okay then they're great.

If you don't want to worry and just want to complain over the phone to someone who'll just type something up for contractors to look at, go with Rogers/Bell/Telus.

Only ever had to call TSI twice, once was the York Mills POI teething problems, the other was an "expired" credit card. I've had no complaints about TSI.

Remember TSI goes through Bell/Rogers/Telus, that means no matter how helpful they are, you are still subjected to Robellus BS. It is up to you the consumer to decide if that is worth it.
LondonOntGuy
join:2004-05-12
London, ON

1 edit

LondonOntGuy to OneWorld9

to OneWorld9
I think it's quite obvious, if you're in a Robbers market, don't even think about going to Teksavvy or any other third party reseller for cable because you'll be in a world of hurt when it comes to internet access. If your job depends on a solid internet connection, you'll need back-up DSL, which makes the cable pointless and just a needless and expensive option.

This shit has been going on for at least a year now, if not two, and it's exactly why I never bothered to get cable internet from TSI, because it would be even worse for me. - I currently live in a large highrise so there's always people getting their connection hooked up or cut, so you can imagine the Robbers techs having a field day with my connection. A third party ISP tag? What's that..... *cut* And then I'd be without internet for at least 4 business days. A shame they don't have any sort of deal with Eastlink in Sudbury, because I'd like to think that they are far less evil than Robbers could ever be.

Robbers wins because they know the average person will just say "fuck it, I'm going to Robbers because it works".

sbrook
Mod
Ottawa

sbrook to OneWorld9

Mod

to OneWorld9
Whilst these problems occured after the OPs change to TekSavvy, a lot of Rogers customers were having problems with them during the same period, in part due to the shuffling around of the different head ends in Toronto to create "Dupont". It wasn't impacting just TekSavvy custmers. So, chances are you'd have been complaining bitterly about Rogers too.

This is what I was trying to point out in showing how TekSavvy and other TPIAs depend on the incumbents. It's easy to say "I changed to a TPIA and look what happened". What you don't know is what might have happened had you actually STAYED with the incumbent.
The Mongoose
join:2010-01-05
Toronto, ON

1 edit

The Mongoose to NightMayor

to NightMayor
said by NightMayor:

But he is right. You can't keep offering a decent service if there isn't one to begin with. Just look at all these threads in the forum. There seriously needs to be a more effective way to fix these problems instead of filing a ticket then waiting days/weeks/months. Yes, "independent" ISPs are not godsends, they have problems too. But all this waiting around for a "decent" reply is terrible. There has to be a better way especially with all this growth that's happening. How are you guys supposed to be a proper competitor to Rogers when there are a ton of threads and complaints of high upstream power, back-to-back disconnects, slow speeds, high packet loss, etc..

1) The 99% of customers who are perfectly satisfied don't come on here to say so. Counting the number of complaint threads is meaningless.

2) There are lots of better ways but they have to come from Rogers. TSI can't make them do anything. That's a simple reality. The OP's complaints are almost entirely Rogers fault, but people feel the need to scream at TSI for things they absolutely cannot control. If someone can't live with that, they should stick with Rogers and pay their price.

3) The ridiculous "well, they shouldn't offer ANY service if they can't control it" argument made by earlier in this thread is garbage. The vast majority of us are getting great service at lower prices. Just because one person has a bad experience doesn't mean they get to take that away from the rest of us.

intelp4
join:2007-05-01

intelp4 to OneWorld9

to OneWorld9
Although TSI's customer service went down greatly, it is still far much better than dealing with the big ones.

I agree that Marc's way of operating TSI is different from the way of his brother Rocky. However, I have faith that Marc will his best to overcome TSI growth issues, and to bring TSI back to the level we used to admire (I really hope so).

NightMayor
York, ON

NightMayor to The Mongoose

to The Mongoose
1) Remember the 90-9-1 rule where 90% lurk, 9% make an account and probably make a few posts, and 1% actually come here regularly. Not everyone comes here regularly or even knows about the site so 99% is extremely optimistic; when you count threads you have to take account into this. It's almost like how not everyone writes a pen and paper letter to their MP, they know a couple of people wrote but they have to weigh in the fact that not everyone takes the time to do so.

2) Well no one deserves to have to go through months of disconnects and slowdowns as well either. And if OP complained countless of times he at least deserves some sort of reimbursement or some other options for the time wasted complaining and for the spotty internet. It's like when you get really cold food at a restaurant but they can't warm it up, some if not most people would not want to pay for said meal or would want something a lot better.

3) I do notice they are doing a better job at reporting bad areas, so when you enter your address in the website it'll list the available services. The point is if you know a specific location, not just the POI area, you need to acknowledge and communicate that there may be some problems and notify your customers in said area. Regardless if it is a small percentage, they need to know, Teksavvy definitely has contact info. I know many people around my intersection that would've benefited from this. I bet if there was better up-to-date communication at the very least, OP wouldn't have been this upset. Also, you know something needs to change when you're waiting on the phone for hours.

That said, I don't agree with OP's "you get what you pay for" statement because I think we all know these are the reasonable prices for each plan and we shouldn't have to get used to anything higher in terms of price; $62 for 120GB is definitely unreasonable. But you still have to admit after all OP and others have gone through, it f*@king sucks.
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned) to OneWorld9

to OneWorld9
said by OneWorld9:

(read: glorified reseller)

You obviously don't even know what the word reseller means.
said by OneWorld9:

I guess the old adage holds true... you get what you pay for.

I could be with Rogers or Bell and be spending 3 times as much and go through all of the same crap. No thanks.
paRaMeND
join:2008-06-06

paRaMeND to OneWorld9

to OneWorld9
I am just about to celebrate my first year with TSI and although there were some problems all have been dealt with in a very professional way and the service has been solid for the duration.
Both of the problems I had were the result of Roger's doing work on my poi to increase capacity and make other upgrades that took some time( ie 2 months). Marc has done in my opinion a remarkable job and does not deserve your comments. It is frustrating to go through this. Don't think for a moment that as a business owner he would wish this on his customers. He and Rocky are doing everything they can and then some to get their customers the best service that is possible. It has not been easy for them. Work with them, they care and will work with you. The alternative is to return to Rogers as before. Your experiences although not unique are by no way the norm.
xdrag
North York, ON

xdrag to NightMayor

to NightMayor
said by NightMayor:

1) Remember the 90-9-1 rule where 90% lurk, 9% make an account and probably make a few posts, and 1% actually come here regularly. Not everyone comes here regularly or even knows about the site so 99% is extremely optimistic; when you count threads you have to take account into this. It's almost like how not everyone writes a pen and paper letter to their MP, they know a couple of people wrote but they have to weigh in the fact that not everyone takes the time to do so.

2) Well no one deserves to have to go through months of disconnects and slowdowns as well either. And if OP complained countless of times he at least deserves some sort of reimbursement or some other options for the time wasted complaining and for the spotty internet. It's like when you get really cold food at a restaurant but they can't warm it up, some if not most people would not want to pay for said meal or would want something a lot better.

3) I do notice they are doing a better job at reporting bad areas, so when you enter your address in the website it'll list the available services. The point is if you know a specific location, not just the POI area, you need to acknowledge and communicate that there may be some problems and notify your customers in said area. Regardless if it is a small percentage, they need to know, Teksavvy definitely has contact info. I know many people around my intersection that would've benefited from this. I bet if there was better up-to-date communication at the very least, OP wouldn't have been this upset. Also, you know something needs to change when you're waiting on the phone for hours.

That said, I don't agree with OP's "you get what you pay for" statement because I think we all know these are the reasonable prices for each plan and we shouldn't have to get used to anything higher in terms of price; $62 for 120GB is definitely unreasonable. But you still have to admit after all OP and others have gone through, it f*@king sucks.

I agree it sucks for the OP. What I don't understand is that need to come online and slander about TSI.

A lot stuff he said is false or unreasonable. Every week or so, some individual comes on the board to vent about their experience. It's quite sad. That 1% who are regulars here have to see non-sense threads like these.

If you want to write a review, there's a review section.

If you don't like your service, then go somewhere else. The OP said TSI is the worst ISP ever yet he does nothing about it but complain. If you like rogers, go back to rogers! there's no contracts! no one is stopping you but yourself.
UK_Dave
join:2011-01-27
Powassan, ON

1 edit

1 recommendation

UK_Dave

Remember how Bell lied for years about throttling 3rd party customers? They refused to say they did it, until it was proven.

Feel free to pass me a tin foil hat, but I do wonder if there is an element of deliberate f*****g with 3rd party connections.

Nobody at TSI could say it without fear of action from Bhell's vultures if they had suspicions I'm sure - but I wonder if in 2 years time we'll find out what those perfidious little sods where up to...?

EDIT: Deleted first line of the post. Re-read it, and thought better of it. 9.14am

NightMayor
York, ON

NightMayor to xdrag

to xdrag
Yes, I know it sucks to see threads like this, but everyone has every right to be heard especially if service/support isn't decent.

Also, just because some people are on here frequently and have good service doesn't mean that they have to keep restating something like, "LOL shitty service? Then GTFO." We get it, you have your internet, but you can't logically say this every time. People leave Rogers/switch to Teksavvy for all sorts of reasons, you don't know if it's possible for these people to even switch back due to budget, and etc..

Also, problems need to be heard in many ways if you're not getting the support you need. When you call a company and it ends up in a call center and you're still unsatisfied, that call needs to be escalated somehow. And like I said, Teksavvy has to work on their communications. It's tough to wait on the line just to be simply told that the ticket is still there waiting; when it's been going on for an extended period, people have every right to be angry.

sbrook
Mod
Ottawa

sbrook to OneWorld9

Mod

to OneWorld9
I think a lot of the complaints arise from a lack of understanding of the *significance* of the TPIA-incumbent relationship.

The incumbents (particularly cable MSOs) see TPIA service as stealing customers that should be with them. This instantly sets up an us vs. them scenario. "We are supposed to do stuff for THEM so THEY can take OUR customers away from us?" Bell and other telcos are a little less so, because they have been in the wholesale services business for years and years, although in recent years after Bell has essentially eliminated their internal divisions like Nexxia and so on, they have become more protective.

So when you call in with a problem to a TPIA, they have to validate that you've done basic steps in troubleshooting the problem otherwise you're guaranteed to get hit with a DMC (diagnostic maintenance charge). Once they've done that they create a "ticket" to the incumbent. For some incumbents it's done by phone. For Rogers it's done by email. At Rogers end, that's handled by the same email support team that does their own customer support. (I don't know if you've ever used Rogers email support ... but it is BAD. Their priority is still phones. They get to email when they get time or mails have been sitting around closing in on 48 hours. Then their priority is to deal with their customers first and TPIA requests second. Their SLA as they told the CRTC is to answer that email within 48 hours. Note, NOT TO SOLVE THE PROBLEM. So, every time a problem is bounced back because of incomplete information or a step they want you to take, you add up to 48 hours. And Rogers takes advantage of that.

Bell has a process in place for escalations when things go wrong for a TPIA, but for Rogers there isn't ... remember how email escalations worked? "Please call us on 1-888-ROGERS1" In other words, no escalation via email! They are working on processes that help in cases needing escalation, but it's still far from perfect. Rogers has NO sense of urgency, even for their own customers (which is one of several reasons I won't use Rogers Home Phone)

So, we know that yes, TPIAs buy last mile services from incumbents ... but it's the significance that bites us when things go awry. If you were a TPIA getting hammered by your customers because the incumbent screwed up again and know you have to face the possibility of the dreaded tickets and so on, it gets quite despondent, just as I hated calling Rogers when things go wrong ... all too often you'd ride it out in the hope it would fix itself.
UK_Dave
join:2011-01-27
Powassan, ON

1 edit

UK_Dave

I've just cancelled and re-written this post, as I was about to say the same thing, but without your very much more specific knowledge.

I was about to ask if there was a way to distill the essence of what needs to be done in the absolute first place, regardless of what the caller has problems with....?

A form? A template? A checklist? Flowchart?

Lots of happy TS customers seem very willing to try and help solve customers problems - those who post in this forum. Has it ever been discussed as a possibilty to do that here?

Sort of what happens now, but more structured.

It would save all the "post in direct", keep a clear line as to when an issue is something TS can deal with directly and when it has to go out of house, and allow for easier communication/transparency.

sbrook
Mod
Ottawa

1 recommendation

sbrook

Mod

The reasons for "post in direct" would be

1) information needed that should be private (name address phone etc)
2) a problem can be recorded in the customer's file so if there's a history of
problems that need addressing it can be seen
3) a problem history for dealing with the particular problem is created in case it does need escalation, so the needed diagnostic done info can be provided to the incumbent instead of asking the customer to play it again sam!
OneWorld9
East York, ON

OneWorld9

Thanks everyone for your comments. Many thanks to NightMayor and others who actually understand why I'm posting all of this.

For the rest of you who say I'm "slandering" TSI, saying things that are false, etc. ... perhaps you need to revisit your own reasons for saying so? How do you know what experience I've had? I posted here to share my experience ... if you had a great experience, or love TSI, good for you. As I said, when things are going well, the service has been great. My review (yes, I did create one as well) says the same. However, I've had to deal with way more than my share of headaches, and I think everyone has the right to know about that. I don't care how many of you have a great experience - I'm not suggesting you didn't. If you feel like writing a post thanking TSI for that, do it. What makes you entitled to suggest my experience was anything other than what I shared it to be? Do you have access to the Direct Forum and can see how long I've been working on this latest issue with TSI? Since the end of July. Back and forth. Ticket after ticket to Rogers. As I've said, it's all been done. To suggest I was anything less than completely honest in sharing of facts, you're sadly mistaken. (which, along with a couple of you who posted here, TekSavvy did through TSI Andre - you don't see that, because of the backhanded approach he took, quoting me from the Direct Forum which is supposed to be *private* and strictly against DSLr rules - how's that for customer service? As a regular contributor here, he should have known better, and is one more reason TekSavvy deserves the low rating I gave them). I think everyone deserves to know what kind of "ISP" they are dealing with.

Here are all the possiblities I suggested TekSavvy could use to resolve things:

1. Fix the problem - how TekSavvy does this, that's up to them. However, when it's clear that sending a Rogers tech during 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. to troubleshoot an issue that does not present itself during that timeframe is very futile and a waste of everyone's time, what do they hope to accomplish by doing this? Will anyone be surprised when the tech says the line is fine? I've told TekSavvy the same (many times) already, no need for a tech during the day. It's clear to me that if TekSavvy wants to troubleshoot an issue, they need to do so when the *issue is occuring*. How TekSavvy expects to do that at any other time is beyond me.

If you want honesty, this is the FIRST time since the end of July they suggested they would send a tech - all the other times were simply tickets to Rogers, coming back as "no problem found"; what a surprise.

[For those who may be wondering how I can suggest how an ISP should be troubleshooting an issue, I'm an MCSE, with my own IT business for over 10 years now - I do have a bit of a clue as to what is required to successfully resolve an issue; it's not rocket science to figure out that if the issue is not occurring when you're investigating it, it's very difficult to isolate]

2. Advise me if this is, in fact, not anything to do with my particular connection but due to Rogers maintenance / POI changeover. Nothing TekSavvy has said so far in any of the techs who have responded has made this the definitive answer. Like NightMayor said, communication is definitely lacking. Either TekSavvy has no idea what's going on in terms of maintenance / POI upgrade in my area (as they've suggested is the case in the Direct Forum - they can only speculate), or they are witholding information for some reason. If it's the former, that's another support blackhole that needs to be addressed. TekSavvy is providing my Internet connection - they should be fully apprised of when it's not going to work (especially if it's scheduled), why, and for how long.

3. Give me a credit for all the time TekSavvy wasted. TekSavvy refuses to even acknowledge that I suggested this - for all of you who feel entitled to suggest TekSavvy cannot / should not do this, feel free to keep your comments to yourself. TekSavvy is a business - when any business screws a customer around for this long, the right thing to do is to offer a credit or some other form of compensation. If they don't want to do this / are unwilling to accept any blame, that's their choice... but it's a bad business move.

TekSavvy was given multiple ways to address problems I've encountered... I've been very patient and offerend numerous suggestions for how to workaround or resolve any issues. They basically came back and said, "Here's what we can do - the choice is up to you." No, I don't feel they've fully addressed every possible choice, and so they deserve a bad rating for their lack of effort and basically telling me they're not prepared to do what's necessary to support their customers.

Let's be completely clear here: TekSavvy cannot provide any level of decent support (as evinced by all the issues I've had to deal with), for whatever reason Rogers cannot troubleshoot the current issue when it's actually happening, and TekSavvy refuses to acknowledge they've wasted a lot of my time in this process. These are the reasons I posted here, and elsewhere. In all honesty, I'm not posting here for TekSavvy to fix the problem - I've already asked them to do that in the Direct Forum, and it's clear they seem to be incapable of that. I'm posting here for everyone to transparently see the terrible support they can expect if they become a TekSavvy customer. Everyone should be fully aware of what they're getting into.

If they decide to join TekSavvy after knowing all the facts, by all means... by the same token, I'm free to show the world what a terrible "ISP" they really are.

You can give all the reasons in the world why TekSavvy cannot be better. My point is simple - if you want to play in the ISP space, and you are not able to properly support your customers (for whatever reasons), you will get a bad review and similar postings.

P.S. If I didn't / don't respond to your particular comment, my apologies, but I just don't have time to argue with fanboys. The point of my posting is not to argue, but to share my experience.
xdrag
North York, ON

xdrag

Or the simplier fix is just to switch to Rogers since you think it's better.

Take your own action. You can blame TSI all you want but in the end, it's your choice for your ISP. I'm not saying they're not the one to blame but it's your responsibility to choose what service you want. No one is forcing you to stay.

If you want to share, go share it on reviews.

you understand that point?
dra6o0n
join:2011-08-15
Mississauga, ON

dra6o0n to OneWorld9

to OneWorld9
said by OneWorld9:

I understand all the reasons why TekSavvy support is abysmal, but that doesn't change the fact that it is ... why provide a service that you actually cannot reliably provide in the first place? Sure, when you don't have a problem things work well... and when you do, that's when you *need* to be able to get proper support. TekSavvy willingly points the finger at everyone else. Why should the customer care about all of their problems? When you say you'll provide a service, you need to provide it. I don't see anything in their marketing / sales pitch that says, "We'll only be able to help you if our suppliers are cooperative and the CRTC is nice to us." What kind of business runs this way? As far as I'm concerned, hybrid or not, if they can't support their customers they're just a reseller.

So you are saying that you would rather have Teksavvy up and quit and let Rogers do the talking then?
You are pretty much saying that if Teksavvy couldn't handle the abuse by Rogers, they should give in and let Rogers manage the ISP again?
You do realize that almost every third party ISP are borrowing usage from Bell and Rogers right? So even if you do turn to another ISP, it's just the repeat of the same time.