how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

capdjq
Premium
join:2000-11-01
Vancouver

John Furlong's Legacy forever tarnished?

"Former Vancouver Olympics head John Furlong is “staunchly denying” allegations that he physically and mentally abused First Nations elementary school students in Burns Lake in the early 1970s."

The above allegation of sexual abuse was alleged by an Article in the Georgia Straight.

»www.straight.com/article-788776/···rns-lake

This is quite a bombshell as Mr Furlong is revered after having chaired an extremely successful Winter Olympics in Vancouver.

He gave an interview a couple of minutes ago in which he has categorically denied all allegations.

»live.theprovince.com/Event/John_···of_abuse

The problem with "sexual abuse allegations" is it relies on 40 year old memories which can be inaccurate. However, the Journalist is respected and a Story of this magnitude would never be published unless it was triple checked.
No matter what happens sexual abuse allegations are unsettling and can ruin many a career, if accurate.
--
"The world is a dangerous place. Not because of the people who are evil; but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
kudos:2
said by capdjq:

The problem with "sexual abuse allegations" is it relies on 40 year old memories which can be inaccurate. However, the Journalist is respected and a Story of this magnitude would never be published unless it was triple checked.
No matter what happens sexual abuse allegations are unsettling and can ruin many a career, if accurate.

There are enough questions in the story which deserve clear answers. And as for the allegations, the testimony of the Residential School students has proved accurate. These folks know the seriousness of their allegations. Let's let the courts decide.
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.

FaxCap

join:2002-05-25
Surrey, BC
reply to capdjq
Furlong just said this was brought up before the Olympics and
was told "for an amount of money it could be made to go away".

He reported it to the police.

FaxCap

capdjq
Premium
Vancouver

1 recommendation

said by FaxCap:

Furlong just said this was brought up before the Olympics and
was told "for an amount of money it could be made to go away".

He reported it to the police.

FaxCap

According to the Reporter, who was interviewed on CKNW, a respected Radio station a student made the request. She knew of that and attempted to contact Mr Furlong personally and by EMail, telling him that the story would be given no validity if even a small iota was untrue. Furlong screamed at her neither confirming or denying. She has witnesses and recordings and emails.
A story of this magnitude would have to be double and quintupled checked, even by the Editor, before being printed.
What I don't understand is why he left out that portion of his life in his biography?
I'm inclined to believe that something happened. What I don't know.
--
"The world is a dangerous place. Not because of the people who are evil; but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
Owen Sound, ON
said by capdjq:

What I don't understand is why he left out that portion of his life in his biography?

One of the unanswered questions.
--

loosedobbs

join:2006-06-13
Toronto
reply to capdjq
said by capdjq:

"Former Vancouver Olympics head John Furlong is “staunchly denying” allegations that he physically and mentally abused First Nations elementary school students in Burns Lake in the early 1970s."

The above allegation of sexual abuse was alleged by an Article in the Georgia Straight.

»www.straight.com/article-788776/···rns-lake

This is quite a bombshell as Mr Furlong is revered after having chaired an extremely successful Winter Olympics in Vancouver.

He gave an interview a couple of minutes ago in which he has categorically denied all allegations.

»live.theprovince.com/Event/John_···of_abuse

Williams was also a decorated military pilot. So the real person is so different with devil inside. Education and success, money and glory does not define/depict the real person.
said by DKS:

said by capdjq:

One of the unanswered questions.

so true.

Let us see

@videotron.ca
reply to capdjq
said by capdjq:

The problem with "sexual abuse allegations" is it relies on 40 year old memories

Seems to be a bunch of former kids claiming he physically/mentally abused them. Along with the nuns and priests who he helped with the beatings (you know... the servants of god).

This doesn't appear, to me, to be something vague one can't really recall right. Especially when it's a lot more than one.

Also, the white students from the same school received compensation due to the beatings they got from the servants of god. Why didn't the Indians?

I wonder if the white students were told their memories were flawed after it was settled and they received their compensation for the beatings?

Even the Bishop (you know, someone even closer to god than the nun or priest) is on record as calling the Indians half-breeds. heh

So... it seems, to me, the stories of mental/physical abuse is on the up and up. Unless you want to say here that the white students memories are better than the Indians memories, and the white students were compensated for the beatings because maybe it was all make-believe and a good story that never happened?

So can we agree that all these Indian students aren't having make-believe memories? If not, then should we call it "group make-believe memories" and ask the National Research Counsel to look into how a group of people can share the same single memories? ESP? Hand of god? Would make an interesting paper to read.

Tell you one thing, I sure as hell would recall the face and name of the guy who dragged me downstairs by my hair into a school basement for my weekly/daily beating. There would be no mistaking that. And this isn't the "flawed" memory of only one student here...

BTW, capdjq, you mention "sexual abuse" a couple of times in your post. Yet I didn't notice anything about sexual abuse in the story. Is there something else that went on that you know about that isn't discussed in that story?

But anyhow, this is what it was. I have family who told me of beating in all the schools they went to by nuns and priests. That's just what it was. I'm sure many a grandparent will confirm. No choice. That's what god wants done by his servants and shepherds.

FaxCap

Surrey, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to capdjq
said by capdjq:

According to the Reporter, who was interviewed on CKNW, a respected Radio station

8:30am this morning (11:30am EDT) on CKNW's Bill Good Show the
reporter gives her side.

»player.cknw.com/

FaxCap

FaxCap

Surrey, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw

1 recommendation

reply to capdjq
An Indian Band chief just said 40 years ago Furlong "kicked me hard
in the butt" after he (the chief) as a kid call Furlong "John" and not
Mr. Furlong.

40 years ago you could still get "the strap" in BC public schools.
Will the vice principle of my high school be dragged into court?

FaxCap

capdjq
Premium
Vancouver

1 recommendation

reply to Let us see
said by Let us see :

said by capdjq:

The problem with "sexual abuse allegations" is it relies on 40 year old memories

Seems to be a bunch of former kids claiming he physically/mentally abused them. Along with the nuns and priests who he helped with the beatings (you know... the servants of god).

This doesn't appear, to me, to be something vague one can't really recall right. Especially when it's a lot more than one.

Also, the white students from the same school received compensation due to the beatings they got from the servants of god. Why didn't the Indians?

I wonder if the white students were told their memories were flawed after it was settled and they received their compensation for the beatings?

Even the Bishop (you know, someone even closer to god than the nun or priest) is on record as calling the Indians half-breeds. heh

So... it seems, to me, the stories of mental/physical abuse is on the up and up. Unless you want to say here that the white students memories are better than the Indians memories, and the white students were compensated for the beatings because maybe it was all make-believe and a good story that never happened?

So can we agree that all these Indian students aren't having make-believe memories? If not, then should we call it "group make-believe memories" and ask the National Research Counsel to look into how a group of people can share the same single memories? ESP? Hand of god? Would make an interesting paper to read.

Tell you one thing, I sure as hell would recall the face and name of the guy who dragged me downstairs by my hair into a school basement for my weekly/daily beating. There would be no mistaking that. And this isn't the "flawed" memory of only one student here...

BTW, capdjq, you mention "sexual abuse" a couple of times in your post. Yet I didn't notice anything about sexual abuse in the story. Is there something else that went on that you know about that isn't discussed in that story?

But anyhow, this is what it was. I have family who told me of beating in all the schools they went to by nuns and priests. That's just what it was. I'm sure many a grandparent will confirm. No choice. That's what god wants done by his servants and shepherds.

Story Vancouver Sun:

»www.vancouversun.com/sports/Form···ory.html

Quote:

VANCOUVER - John Furlong, former head of the 2010 Olympic Games, emphatically denied accusations of physical and sexual abuse at a press conference Thursday.

Accompanied by his lawyer, Marvin Storrow, a sombre-looking Furlong said the allegations of physical abuse against first nations students printed in the Georgia Straight weekly newspaper are unfounded. He then said he is proceeding with legal action.

“As you are aware I have been accused of physical abuse and apparently within the last hour, sexual abuse. I want you to know I categorically deny absolutely any wrongdoing and I believe that the RCMP looking into this matter will discredit the complaint entirely because it did not happen,” Furlong said.
................................................................................................

Personally I don't like or dislike Mr Furlong and I'm always suspicious of decades old sexual abuse recollections. So, until this has been proved, to me its just a story.
--

ZZZZZZZ
Premium
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE
kudos:1
reply to FaxCap
quote:
40 years ago you could still get "the strap" in BC public schools.
Will the vice principle of my high school be dragged into court?
Exactly....we had nuns in our schools in Quebec who were psycho,hitting kids with their umbrellas and steel rulers.

Why wasn't any of this brought forward during or before the Olympics ..................just BS as far as I'm concerned.

Hope he nails their ass in court.
--
~~Go Lions....back to back Cups!!~~

Prophit

@videotron.ca
heh while some here have memories of their beating by the servants of god (I had the ruler, occasional punch and hair dragging), I don't think it equates to the nightmare of what these people explained of being dragged by your hair down stairs for your beating in a nice quiet basement by this guy.

Though I was pulled by my hair across a floor a few times by a nun. But, if I was headed to a dank dark basement like these people, whoever was pulling my hair wouldn't be breathing now. I'd hunt them down.

ZZZZZZZ
Premium
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE
kudos:1
reply to capdjq
Come on people,are you trying to tell me that these supposed victims waited 40 years to come forward.............why,especially if there was any sexual abuse?

It's more like they all of a sudden saw a payday from someone in the spotlight and were egged on by this reporter......
--
~~Go Lions....back to back Cups!!~~

peterboro
Premium
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON
reply to Prophit
said by Prophit :

But, if I was headed to a dank dark basement like these people, whoever was pulling my hair wouldn't be breathing now. I'd hunt them down.

I often wonder why that doesn't happen more often. »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleepers_(film)

Prophit

@videotron.ca
said by peterboro:

said by Prophit :

But, if I was headed to a dank dark basement like these people, whoever was pulling my hair wouldn't be breathing now. I'd hunt them down.

I often wonder why that doesn't happen more often. »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleepers_(film)

It does happen. Maybe it's just not mentioned and kept quiet? Sometimes payback is worth more than making things open?

I recall a kid next to me having his face slammed into his desk repeatedly. The servant of god put both hands on the back of his head grabbed his hair and just kept smashing his face up and down on the desk.

Kid walked out of class bloody, got on the phone then his two brothers showed up at the classroom door before that 1-hr and 10-minutes class was let out. The servant of god got his ass handed to him. I sat there and watched it. So did the assistant vice principle who tried to stop it, at first.

Nothing was done. No one removed from school. It was taken care of right then and there.

You don't forget something like that, and this was a good 30-years ago. I wonder if anyone is going to tell me my memory is flawed? I wonder if the other kids in the class recall this as well? Not something you forget.

Then class resumed the following week and everyone was happy again.

That was the worse beating I ever saw handed to a student... and back to the "teacher". Though I have heard of worse, but never saw first hand.

So again, why would these former students all have some sort of mass memory failure? I recall the above like it was yesterday.

Is there a mass memory failure that only affects Indians? Seems this is what some people here are saying.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
Owen Sound, ON
reply to ZZZZZZZ
said by ZZZZZZZ:

Come on people,are you trying to tell me that these supposed victims waited 40 years to come forward.............why,especially if there was any sexual abuse?

Apparently you have no understanding of the effect of sexual abuse and the culpability of religious groups and churches in it in the First Nations community. If you did, you would not make that statement.

It's more like they all of a sudden saw a payday from someone in the spotlight and were egged on by this reporter......

You don't make accusations like that unless you can prove them in court. Nor do you publish them.
--

Tell me why

@videotron.ca
reply to ZZZZZZZ
said by ZZZZZZZ:

Another question you *didn't ask*. Why were only the white people from this school compensated for the torture they went through at the same time as these Indian kids, and yet the Indian kids who went through the same not compensated for the abuse?

Why?

Why is the white mans complaint upheld but not the Indian?

Why?

Why is it serious when the white kids went to court and it's fake when the Indians are complaining of the same?

Why?

ZZZZZZZ, I need your answers to this.

loosedobbs

join:2006-06-13
Toronto
reply to ZZZZZZZ
said by ZZZZZZZ:

Payday? what a bunch of BS.
Stupid comment.

In a memoir entitled Playing with Fire: The Theo Fleury Story, retired NHL player Theo Fleury alleged that from the age of 14 James had molested him for years during his time on the Moose Jaw Warrior team.[4][8] On January 6, 2010, Fleury filed a criminal complaint with the City of Winnipeg police.[4][3]

On April 4, 2010, it was revealed in the media that James had been issued a pardon by the Canadian National Parole Board in 2007. News of the pardon only came to light when an unidentified Winnipeg man brought an allegation of abuse against him. [11] The situation surrounding the pardon provoked outrage, and has led to proposed changes to the Canadian pardon system.[4]

Why did he wait for all those years? 1982 till 2010.