fonzbear2000
Premium Member
join:2005-08-09
Saint Paul, MN
·Verizon Wireless

fonzbear2000

Premium Member

Connection going from normal to very slow every 2-3 days

About a week and a half ago, my connection all of a sudden got very slow so after many modem and router resets with no change, I called Comcast. They said the signal levels on my modem looked fine and they couldn't really do anything to fix the issue. I just let it go and couple days after that, my speeds went back to normal, but then, a couple more days after that, I started to get slower speeds again, but for some reason, I just let it go again and they again returned to normal after a couple more days. Well, it's been a couple days again and speeds are again back to being slow. I thought it might be the router so I plugged the modem directly into a computer and no change. I've never experienced anything like this in the 8 plus years I've had Comcast. So, before I make another call to Comcast, I would like to get your opinions on this and if there is anything else I can do to try and resolve the issue. Thanks.

Here is what my modem currently shows:

It's the Arris TM402P

Downstream
Freq/Power: 705.000 MHz -9 dBmV
Signal to Noise Ratio: 35 dB
Modulation: QAM256
Upstream
Freq/Power: 29.000 MHz 46 dBmV
Channel Type: DOCSIS 2.0 (ATDMA)
Symbol Rate: 5120 kSym/sec
Modulation: QAM64

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

downstream power is pretty low, COULD be a potential problem, depending which way it swings. SNR looks ok for such low power. Upstream looks ok.

fonzbear2000
Premium Member
Saint Paul, MN
·Verizon Wireless

fonzbear2000

Premium Member

said by tshirt:

downstream power is pretty low, COULD be a potential problem, depending which way it swings. SNR looks ok for such low power. Upstream looks ok.

Well, now it's -8 and it does say
For all modems: -10 dBmV to +10 dBmV "Recommended".

The main thing I don't get is why is my speed going from normal for 2 or 3 days to super slow for 2 or 3 days, back and forth like that?

Extide
join:2000-06-11
Salt Lake City, UT

Extide to fonzbear2000

to fonzbear2000
SNR is way more important than the power level itself. With a 35db level it seems ok.

Keep some logs of the exact times it is fast/slow. See if there are any correlations (like slow in evenings/etc). Also have a look at signal levels when it is slow.

fonzbear2000
Premium Member
Saint Paul, MN
·Verizon Wireless

fonzbear2000

Premium Member

said by Extide:

SNR is way more important than the power level itself. With a 35db level it seems ok.

Keep some logs of the exact times it is fast/slow. See if there are any correlations (like slow in evenings/etc). Also have a look at signal levels when it is slow.

It stays slow for 2-3 days straight and then goes to normal for 2-3 days straight. All day and night. The signal levels I already posted are from right now which is slow.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

1 edit

tshirt to fonzbear2000

Premium Member

to fonzbear2000
A 3.5dBmV fluctuation in signal on any given day is totally within normal range.
so assuming your modem is exactly right about the level(it's not a precision meter, but a "close enough" sort of reading) depending on exact when you took the reading, it could actually be down at -12 or so part of the time, throw in changing temps/seasonal manual adjustments, and you could have such a low signal that your modem is constantly saying "sorry, I didn't hear that, please say again" continual resends could explain the bad performance days.
It is borderline enough to make it worth calling in for a tech and fixing/adjusting it before you totally lose contact.

fonzbear2000
Premium Member
Saint Paul, MN
·Verizon Wireless

fonzbear2000

Premium Member

I called Comcast again and they said the modem was getting lots of packet loss and that it was probably starting to die. I got a new modem and all is good now. Thanks so much for all your input.