spc
Search similar:

uniqs
neftv
join:2000-10-01
Broomall, PA

neftv

[Northeast] IPTV device using specifically DNS 8.8.8.8

I was wondering does anyone know what makes using a Google DNS server 8.8.8.8 so special when using locally in the IPTV device settings? If I used Verizon's DNS servers I get random buffering of the TV streams on the Device when I try to watch a stream. I think the IPTV device Android based. I have Verizon Fios 20/5 service. Also, if I try to use say 8.8.4.4 I get the same buffering as I would if I use Verizon's DNS. Would anyone here know more about 8.8.8.8? Thanks for all responses.
Presently when I test with Namebench to get the best DNS servers for me I get these three
So I set those in my Shibby Tomato based Asus RT-N12B1 router.
Thanks for all responses.
batsona
Maryland
join:2004-04-17
Ellicott City, MD

batsona

Different DNS is resolving differently.. Such as with the cache servers for YouTube, if you're on the east coast, you [should] magically resolve to the east-coast cache servers, and ditto for the west coast. I"m not sure of the algorythm used to 'guess' your location, but I can see this decision turning out differently using different carriers' DNS.

It might be difficult to figure out which back-end video servers you're using, without sniffing the network though, since your IPTV appliance probably won't tell you what IPs it's using for its video content.
neftv
join:2000-10-01
Broomall, PA

neftv

The nice thing about Tomato firmware it allows you to see what IP address is being connected to what local device IP address. In the QOS section (which I not using), transfer rate subsection is showing an address and when I look it up its from a company leaseweb.com.