share rss forum feed

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
kudos:1

Last Resort

I didn't have great expectations for this show. But after watching the pilot, I hope it sticks around.

Mainly because it's not another cop/medical procedural show, nor is it a sappy romance drama.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
join:2001-08-25
Kendall, FL
kudos:3

I watched it, and I didn't really find anything special about it. I know they want to have some suspense, like in LOST, but it just doesn't make any sense, at all.
--
CheckSite.us | YourIP.us | Reverseip.us

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium
join:2002-02-05
Far Rockaway, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Snakeoil

I liked it a lot. Maybe it's because Crimson Tide is one of my favorite movies and the pilot shared a lot with it. Plus what you said about it not being a procedural or romance drama.

But I'm pretty sure the cool submarine stuff is going to be pushed to the side in favor of island drama soon, so I expect my opinion of the show will take a dip in the future.

Hopefully the NATO station, the islanders, the situation in DC, the missing crewmen, and the soldiers' (Marines? Seals?) mysterious mission in Pakistan provide some good drama in future episodes.
--
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." - H. L. Mencken

footballdude
Premium
join:2002-08-13
Imperial, MO
reply to Snakeoil

Dang, I was going to dvr this and forgot. Is it going to be replayed this week?
--
Concentrated power has always been the enemy of liberty - Ronald Reagan

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium
Far Rockaway, NY

Tonight at 9PM on ABC.

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH
reply to Rook008

I think the soldiers were Seals. They were returning from a mission, I think it took place in Pakistan. The wounded Seal was saying something that he shouldn't have. As the look on the Seal's face showed, while he was closing the curtain around his wounded buddy.
I wanna say that maybe the whole thing was started by that woman. The one that sold the device that is on the sub. Create a situation to prove your equipment operates as advertised, makes more sales. But I don't know if the show will indicate a "evil" weapons maker.
I'm curious as well as to the mess in DC. President being impeached, upper officers in military being arrested for some reason. Sounds like a scary place to be in.

Hopefully they can keep the pace up.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

Alpha Phoenix
Premium
join:2001-06-15
Brooklyn, NY
reply to Snakeoil

footballdude
Premium
Imperial, MO
reply to Snakeoil

Finally watched the pilot last night. This is my kind of show. I get the feeling that the president is losing control and about to be impeached, so he's starting a war to invoke war powers and not get kicked out of office. Just a guess, though.
--

Sinbad Sam

join:2001-11-13
Arlington, TX
reply to Snakeoil

One nit to pick...as a former USN skimmer sailor, "Boomers" aka Ballistic Missile subs are not "Taxi" service for covert/special ops teams. That role goes to Fast Attack Subs and those special subs.

PX Eliezer7
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms
reply to Snakeoil

How long can they keep up the suspense?

Regardless of whether the US authorities were good guys or bad guys, they would not let the situation fester for months or years.

Besides, why wouldn't the sub just broadcast the story of what happened to them?

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH

I think they tried in the first episode. Well at least the Navy members contacted their families. But from what has been happening with the XO's wife, I would think all the contacted family members were "collected" by the MIBs [Men in Black. Is it a Hollywood thing, or do secret service agents/FBI wear black all the time in real life? I recall from reading that the color black does give the wearer an intimidation advantage. That and wearing dark sun glasses. But is it true to life?]

As for going to the press, the press is reporting the Captain as a mad man, terrorist, etc. And anything that the people on the sub could say would be lies. So I don't think they'll go public just yet.

Interesting as to how the Russian Spec-Ops team seemed to walk right into that "trap". The USN guys didn't practice noise discipline, and at least two of them were out in the open. Then they, the untrained people, managed to hear the approaching elite kill team? Unless that bird call, just before the Russians broke cover was one of the Seals sounding the Alert. Are they Seals or Delta [The spec-ops on the US Sub, I forget].

Though the show has a few flaws, I'm enjoying the hell out of it.
Also happy to see the producers are trying to treat the service people with Respect. One reason why I liked JAG, NCIS as much as I do.
--

IanR

join:2001-03-22
Fort Mill, SC
reply to Snakeoil

Some annoying flaws.
With strict Navy training the crew seem to act weirdly.
Why does the Captain shoot off torpedoes when the XO is in disagreement warning of the lives at stake. The the torpedo turns out to be a blank ,so it hamlessly hits the other 'friendly" sub as a warning. Now it's just stupid to add confict with the XO for no reason. Tell him upfront it's a blank. I guess it's a way the writers are trying to add drama, but it just looks plain daft!
SO I hope the writing improves.

Overall though the stroy appears to have maybe one season's life as they can hardly spend years being chased .

Alpha Phoenix
Premium
Brooklyn, NY

said by IanR:

Some annoying flaws.
With strict Navy training the crew seem to act weirdly.
Why does the Captain shoot off torpedoes when the XO is in disagreement warning of the lives at stake. The the torpedo turns out to be a blank ,so it hamlessly hits the other 'friendly" sub as a warning. Now it's just stupid to add confict with the XO for no reason. Tell him upfront it's a blank. I guess it's a way the writers are trying to add drama, but it just looks plain daft!
SO I hope the writing improves.

Overall though the stroy appears to have maybe one season's life as they can hardly spend years being chased .

Could simply be to see how far he would follow him. Doesn't seem that far fetched. In a situation like that, you've gotta know who has your back, and how far they would go for you and follow you. Same with the rest of the crew.
--
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium
Far Rockaway, NY
reply to Snakeoil

I see some odd little flaws in the show too, but I don't seem to mind them at all.
I really like the show so far.

cjoleann

join:2012-10-06
reply to Snakeoil

I like the movies Crimson Tide so much!

Alcohol
Premium
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Snakeoil

Braugher doesn't have the acting potential to portray a commanding leader. It would have been better to have the white guy from The Unit play the captain.

This show will be canceled.
--
I found the key to success but somebody changed the lock.

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH

You mean Robert Patrick? The guy that is locked up in a cell on the Island?

Alcohol
Premium
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI

yeah

footballdude
Premium
Imperial, MO
reply to Alcohol

said by Alcohol:

Braugher doesn't have the acting potential to portray a commanding leader. It would have been better to have the white guy from The Unit play the captain.

This show will be canceled.

If you remember one of the very first scenes in the first episode, the captain mentioned that the guy with his finger on the button needs to be seen as just crazy enough to push the button without being so crazy that no one will take him seriously. Braugher is playing that role much better than Patrick would have.
--
Expand your moderator at work

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH
reply to Sinbad Sam

Re: Last Resort

After watching last nights show, I had a question.

What measures are in place to prevent a warship or a submarine/aircraft from going rogue?

Sure you have the other crew members to interfere with mutiny attempts, but what if the people in on the mutiny were able to pull a "Red October" like event?
Meaning stage an emergency, evacuate all the non-partisans from the vessel then sail away.
Has anything like that ever happened in the modern navy?

I seem to recall back in the days of the tall ships [sailing ships] that would happen every so often. Though back then it was easier as the ships had no way to communicate with the government.

--

Alpha Phoenix
Premium
Brooklyn, NY

They gonna end up running out of torpedo, missiles, and nukes if they keep using them.

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH

Nah, they'll just do what Hollywood does, unending ammo.

But I was thinking the same thing. How many torpedoes does a sub that size carry?

Fritzthecat

@navy.mil

From military.com :

The Ohio Class submarine is fitted with four 533mm torpedo tubes with a mk118 digital torpedo fire control system. The torpedoes are the Gould mk48 ADCAP torpedoes.
...their torpedo rooms were made relatively small, with four tubes like the Los Angeles-class but room for only some 12 of the standard ADCAP Mark 48 torpedoes or Mark 30 torpedo-sized decoys. This made sense when the ship's mission, in an anti-submarine context, was purely defensive. But if an Ohio had launched all her Trident C-4 or D-5 missiles, she could then switch to the offensive, acting as an ersatz fast-attack SSN, hunting and engaging hostile SSNs and SSBNs.

Fritz

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS
reply to Snakeoil

Re: Last Resort - Canceled

ABC has cancelled freshman series Last Resort. The military drama will still air all 13 episodes of its original order but will not continue past that.

Since debuting in late September, Last Resort was hailed by many critics as one of the strongest new dramas of the 2012-2013 season, but ratings for the show failed to match up to its critical praise. This past Thursday's episode was its lowest-rated to-date, likely sealing its fate.

Can't say I'm surprised.
--
♬ Music is life ♬

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH

Damn, it was getting interested. they should have done this as a mini series.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

There was definitely some interesting things going but so much of it felt contrived to me and some of it was just plain stupid (who puts prisoners in a brig where said prisoners can talk to the rest of the crew and cause problems? STUPID.)
--
♬ Music is life ♬

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to Alpha Phoenix

Re: Last Resort

said by Alpha Phoenix:

They gonna end up running out of torpedo, missiles, and nukes if they keep using them.

They said they had limited torpedoes in Star Trek voyager too. They used those things like they had a torpedo fire hose.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

Alpha Phoenix
Premium
Brooklyn, NY
reply to darcilicious

Re: Last Resort - Canceled

said by darcilicious:

ABC has cancelled freshman series Last Resort. The military drama will still air all 13 episodes of its original order but will not continue past that.

Since debuting in late September, Last Resort was hailed by many critics as one of the strongest new dramas of the 2012-2013 season, but ratings for the show failed to match up to its critical praise. This past Thursday's episode was its lowest-rated to-date, likely sealing its fate.

Can't say I'm surprised.

Damnit! Damnit!! DAMNIT!!!! »/r0/download/1···_ani.gif
--
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium
Far Rockaway, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Time Warner Cable
reply to darcilicious

Bad news. I really liked the show.
I've only seen about 5 episodes so far, but they were all pretty good.
I'll probably watch until the end to see how it goes.
--
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." - H. L. Mencken