Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
kudos:1
reply to Sinbad Sam

Re: Last Resort

After watching last nights show, I had a question.

What measures are in place to prevent a warship or a submarine/aircraft from going rogue?

Sure you have the other crew members to interfere with mutiny attempts, but what if the people in on the mutiny were able to pull a "Red October" like event?
Meaning stage an emergency, evacuate all the non-partisans from the vessel then sail away.
Has anything like that ever happened in the modern navy?

I seem to recall back in the days of the tall ships [sailing ships] that would happen every so often. Though back then it was easier as the ships had no way to communicate with the government.

--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

Alpha Phoenix
Premium
join:2001-06-15
Brooklyn, NY

They gonna end up running out of torpedo, missiles, and nukes if they keep using them.

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH

Nah, they'll just do what Hollywood does, unending ammo.

But I was thinking the same thing. How many torpedoes does a sub that size carry?

Fritzthecat

@navy.mil

From military.com :

The Ohio Class submarine is fitted with four 533mm torpedo tubes with a mk118 digital torpedo fire control system. The torpedoes are the Gould mk48 ADCAP torpedoes.
...their torpedo rooms were made relatively small, with four tubes like the Los Angeles-class but room for only some 12 of the standard ADCAP Mark 48 torpedoes or Mark 30 torpedo-sized decoys. This made sense when the ship's mission, in an anti-submarine context, was purely defensive. But if an Ohio had launched all her Trident C-4 or D-5 missiles, she could then switch to the offensive, acting as an ersatz fast-attack SSN, hunting and engaging hostile SSNs and SSBNs.

Fritz

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS
reply to Snakeoil

Re: Last Resort - Canceled

ABC has cancelled freshman series Last Resort. The military drama will still air all 13 episodes of its original order but will not continue past that.

Since debuting in late September, Last Resort was hailed by many critics as one of the strongest new dramas of the 2012-2013 season, but ratings for the show failed to match up to its critical praise. This past Thursday's episode was its lowest-rated to-date, likely sealing its fate.

Can't say I'm surprised.
--
♬ Music is life ♬

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH

Damn, it was getting interested. they should have done this as a mini series.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
Forest Grove, OR
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

There was definitely some interesting things going but so much of it felt contrived to me and some of it was just plain stupid (who puts prisoners in a brig where said prisoners can talk to the rest of the crew and cause problems? STUPID.)
--
♬ Music is life ♬

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to Alpha Phoenix

said by Alpha Phoenix:

They gonna end up running out of torpedo, missiles, and nukes if they keep using them.

They said they had limited torpedoes in Star Trek voyager too. They used those things like they had a torpedo fire hose.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

Alpha Phoenix
Premium
Brooklyn, NY
reply to darcilicious

Re: Last Resort - Canceled

said by darcilicious:

ABC has cancelled freshman series Last Resort. The military drama will still air all 13 episodes of its original order but will not continue past that.

Since debuting in late September, Last Resort was hailed by many critics as one of the strongest new dramas of the 2012-2013 season, but ratings for the show failed to match up to its critical praise. This past Thursday's episode was its lowest-rated to-date, likely sealing its fate.

Can't say I'm surprised.

Damnit! Damnit!! DAMNIT!!!! »/r0/download/1···_ani.gif
--
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium
join:2002-02-05
Far Rockaway, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to darcilicious

Bad news. I really liked the show.
I've only seen about 5 episodes so far, but they were all pretty good.
I'll probably watch until the end to see how it goes.
--
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." - H. L. Mencken

PX Eliezer7
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13

1 recommendation

If they provide an answer, there's no point to anyone picking up the show later on.

If they don't provide an answer, viewers will feel pissed off and betrayed.

Alpha Phoenix
Premium
Brooklyn, NY

said by PX Eliezer7:

If they provide an answer, there's no point to anyone picking up the show later on.

If they don't provide an answer, viewers will feel pissed off and betrayed.

Agreed.
--
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium
Far Rockaway, NY

1 recommendation

reply to Snakeoil

The final episode of Last Resort was pretty awesome.
Plenty of action and some great dialogue.

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH

1 recommendation

Agreed. It ended well.

graniterock
Premium
join:2003-03-14
London, ON

For those who have seen the whole thing: would you recommend it or should I take a pass?

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
Reviews:
·VMedia

said by graniterock:

For those who have seen the whole thing: would you recommend it or should I take a pass?

I'd recommend it. It covers a lot of bases, the military, politics, warlords (so to speak can't explain Serrat any other way ). It would havee done very well on a cable show.

I was reading a few last episode reviews and they all said the same thing, WTF was ABC thinking putting a "mans" show on Thursday night against Thursday Night Football, and at 8pm where the competition as fierce.

This would have done very very well in a series of 13 episode seasons on a cable channel. It could of run for years, why did the US nuke Pakistan , who was pulling the strings behind the president and so forth.

They did an admirable job tying up lose ends for the season ender.. but it could have been so much...

I wonder what Autumn Resers next project will be ..ahhhhhhh
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium
Far Rockaway, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to graniterock

I'd agree with elwoodblues.
There was so much material to work with that on a cable network, it could have lasted a few 12-episode seasons and been a great show.

ABC screwed the pooch on this one with the scheduling.

As it stands, it's a very good single-season show with a somewhat rushed, but pretty awesome, final episode.
--
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." - H. L. Mencken

ZZZZZZZ
Premium
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE

Please....that was the worst series finale I've ever seen.........the writers should be canned for that crap.
--
Sarcasm is the body’s natural defense against stupidity.

Blogger
Jedi Poster
Premium
join:2012-10-18
Reviews:
·Champion Broadba..

1 recommendation

reply to Snakeoil

The show was overall mediocre for me but whenever* it aired often that was nothing better to do time so I watched it.

I think that many people that were in the military would have some real issues with that side of it. It starts off really bad right of the bat with the SEALS that they pick up essentially telling the Capt and XO to mind their own business when they ask about their mission but really hits reality rock bottom when they are initiating missile launch. Instead of turning the keys and launching per the order they question it and refuse to launch per protocol. They stop the launch in an attempt to contact their command. The Chief of the Boat then openly berates and lectures to the Capt about his failure to follow orders and what he should do and why he is wrong. Man oh man, in real life that would NEVER happen. If it did the guy would only get about five words out before he would be tossed into the brig for life. Then other members of the crew are uppity with the Capt when he returns to command after the XO places him back in command. Just an impossibility.

Once they got on the island they basically had written the story into a pigeon hole and they still had the continuous unhappy crew being rebellious or disrespectful to the officers.

*Then there was the problem of airing episodes. One never knew when they were going to come on at times with long gaps between them.

I haven't seen the finale so I'll have to wait to catch in on the web.

The show had promise that it didn't live up to with the basic plot but it was plot that couldn't be sustained for the period required for a successful series.
--
The signal is usually drowned out by the noise.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
Forest Grove, OR

I've never been in the military and even I had some issues with a number of things. It was an interesting premise that mostly failed in its execution...
--
♬ Dragon of good fortune struggles with the trickster Fox ♬

footballdude
Premium
join:2002-08-13
Imperial, MO
reply to Snakeoil

From ESPN's TMQ (with spoilers)

"Last Resort" Even Had a Scene Where a Dropped Wrench Gives Away a Submarine's Position: The submarine conspiracy show "Last Resort" just sounded the diving horn for the final time. Viewers never found out why the sinister United States president wanted to fake evidence of nuclear terrorism in Pakistan; why most of the military went along with an obviously crazy plan to stage a nuclear first strike on Pakistan, then immediately destroy the American submarine that launched the missiles; why the order to launch came through a 50-year-old Cold War backup system, which is what alerted the noble captain of the missile submarine Colorado that something wasn't right. What was the point? Viewers never learned. At least the evil president got it between the eyes just before the credits roll.

As previous items noted, many episodes featured the Colorado acting like a World War II submarine, not a modern boat. The series finale included lots of gunfire inside a submarine, yet no one's ears ring. Seconds after automatic weapons blast away in a submarine corridor, the characters converse normally. Why there were so many small arms in the first place was puzzling: Does a United States strategic missile submarine really carry infantry weapons and "battle rattle" for every member of the crew? The final fight to oust the mutineers turned on a fuse ignited by a crew chief's Zippo. I don't think I want to be aboard a submarine on which crewmembers have cigarette lighters.

At one point the Burke-class destroyer Patrick Lawrence, under orders from the White House conspiracy, confronts the Colorado. Why is a U.S. navy vessel named after a 19th century British general? The destroyer's captain acts as if he is sailing to certain doom: Viewers are told the Colorado can easily sink the destroyer while being invulnerable to the surface ship. But the Colorado is a strategic missile submarine, engineered to hide, not to fight other ships: Attack submarines are the ones that fight other ships. And modern destroyers are mainly submarine hunters! Burke-class vessels carry antisubmarine rockets and a helicopter specialized for long-range antisubmarine warfare. If a USN strategic missile submarine and a USN destroyer located each other with intent to fight, chips might go on the destroyer.

Plot holes were numerous. Once the Colorado parked off an island in French Polynesia and declared the island sovereign, why did the crew leave the boat, live ashore and interact with the islanders? This would be certain to cause trouble -- indeed, about half the material of the series was friction between crew and natives. The Colorado is said to be Ohio-class, a series designed to stay submerged up to three months. Even if the Colorado needed to surface by the island to take on supplies, the captain could have maintained discipline by having the crew live onboard. Instead there is drinking, fighting and conspiring ashore. A crewman rapes an island woman, then the captain (extremely implausibly) punishes him to banishment in the jungle. You didn't need to belong to the scriptwriters' guild to know that guy would show up later with a gun.

The male crew members on "Last Resort" were GQ handsome, the female characters were lookers: it's television. When the mega-babe lieutenant stripped off her fatigues for a love scene, she was wearing a black lace bedroom bra. Do women serving aboard submarines really pack lingerie from the Victoria's Secret catalog?

Audiences learn that a CIA officer of uncertain loyalty is embedded with the submarine's crew. She communicates with someone in Washington -- the conspiracy or loyalists? -- using satellite uplink equipment hidden in the jungle. But the CIA had no idea the Colorado was going to sail to a tiny French Polynesian island, why would it have pre-positioned a covert radio installation there?

The MacGuffin of the final episodes was a flash drive that contained evidence the president is a traitor. The flash drive changes hands several times with drastic consequences -- because no one makes a copy. In the finale, control of the ship is seized by bad guys. Then, the good guys retake command, overriding the bridge, by punching a few buttons in what appears to be a broom closet. Just like on all "Star Trek" shows!

At the conclusion, the noble captain beaches the Colorado, then Navy fighters blow her up to prevent the ship from falling into Chinese hands. Blowing up a submarine with 288 hydrogen bombs aboard should not cause a nuclear explosion -- such warheads are elaborately trigger-locked. But highly radioactive material might be spread into the air. As the Colorado explodes, characters look on, unconcerned.

There was one nice touch of realism at the end of a mainly nonsensical show. In the penultimate episode, loyal officers and politicians plan a coup to remove the traitor from the White House. One says in passing they must arrest both the president and vice president, then place the Speaker of the House in power.

This reference isn't explained, and what happens next is a preposterous scene in which the Speaker of the House commits suicide on national television seconds after learning the evil president has foiled the coup. But the reference is correct.

(Camouflage fatigues onboard submarines, not blue coveralls, was the least of "Last Resort" plot holes.)

The 25th Amendment contains a clause saying the president may be removed from office if physically or psychologically incapacitated on the condition the vice president and a majority of the cabinet agree to the removal. If the vice president was part of the evil president's never-explained conspiracy, the 25th Amendment wouldn't work, because the vice president could veto a peaceful, legal transition of power. That would leave a coup as the only option. "Last Resort" got that detail right.
--
Concentrated power has always been the enemy of liberty - Ronald Reagan

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH

*shrugs* Sure it had factual errors that you could drive an oil tanker through at high speed.
But then again what show on TV doesn't have factual errors?

If the writing had been better, and they had a whole season to fill out the plot, then the story may have made more sense.
But I think I read that they had filmed episode 9 when they learned the show was canceled, so they were determined to wrap it up, during the last 4 episodes.

At least they didn't have a guy placing a coffee cup on a string and tying it across the width of the sub to show the effects of compression depth.
Though I am curious about that. Do the new subs compress the way the old WW2 subs used to when they hit the bottom end of their operation depth?

About the only reason why I liked the series was because it wasn't a reality show, or a forensic procedure show, or a cop procedural show.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
reply to darcilicious

Pushing 22 episodes you're right, give it 12 or 13/ season, that's a different story.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

1 recommendation

reply to Blogger

The gaps between episodes is one of the things that killed Firefly. Networks seem to enjoy starting up shows and then stranding people mid way through. You just cannot do that with a serial. Doctor Who can do it because while each series/season has an ongoing plot, you can still watch an episode on its own.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia

said by Kearnstd:

The gaps between episodes is one of the things that killed Firefly. Networks seem to enjoy starting up shows and then stranding people mid way through. You just cannot do that with a serial. Doctor Who can do it because while each series/season has an ongoing plot, you can still watch an episode on its own.

It started with Lost, one of their first modern prime time serials. They came back from the Christmas break and started airing random shows... well that just doesn't work in a serial,thus the long breaks between shows now.

They're like the Maffiaaa, they are stuck with one business model and can't seem to break out of it. The 22 episode season is dead..
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......