join:2001-06-01
Outland
kudos:2
Reviews:
·ooma
·Google Voice
·Comcast
·Future Nine Corp..

Is there a metal frame wall mount for this Ethernet panel??

I picked up this Ethernet panel - »www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000AZK4F. It is very flat, a bit like a 48 port keystone jack plate (a very large plate). It has 4 holes for screws.

I'd like to run new Cat 6 in my home to this panel and have the panel built into a home wall (Sheetrock).

Does anyone make a flat panel? The goal would be to have the cable, connected to keystone jacks on one side, and this panel on the other, then to a switch and eventually a router then cable modem.

I see shelves, but I don't need depth, just a thin wall jack to screw the panel into.

Thanks for your help.
--
"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use."

AsherN
Premium
join:2010-08-23
Thornhill, ON

Standard 19" rack mount.

Kilroy
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN
reply to pandora

Wall Mount Bracket, 1.75 X 19 X 4 (inch) , 1U

I doubt you'll be able to go much closer than 4" as you need room on the back for the cables.
--
Want the shirt? - »www.despair.com/thedestructor.html
Not afiliated or making any profit from sales

shdesigns
Powered By Infinite Improbabilty Drive
Premium
join:2000-12-01
Stone Mountain, GA

I think he'll want a 2U version of that bracket.

LLigetfa

join:2006-05-15
Fort Frances, ON
kudos:1
reply to pandora

I just used four long screws and four short lengths of pipe used as standoffs.

Kilroy
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN
reply to shdesigns

said by shdesigns:

I think he'll want a 2U version of that bracket.

Correct. Didn't have the example up when I was looking for the rack.

Just for reference here is the 2U version
--
Want the shirt? - »www.despair.com/thedestructor.html
Not afiliated or making any profit from sales

pandora
Premium
Outland

Thank you very much.

dnoyeB
Ferrous Phallus

join:2000-10-09
Southfield, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to pandora

I went for the whole shebang.

»www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-SRW6U-···+cabinet

Tripp Lite has some nice cabinets for not too much. Well until you start adding shelves, etc. I have a server and routers, etc. in there. I started out as you did, but soon got carried away. I always wanted a cabinet to tinker with...
--
dnoyeB
"Then said I, Wisdom [is] better than strength: nevertheless the poor man's wisdom [is] despised, and his words are not heard. " Ecclesiastes 9:16

pandora
Premium
Outland
Reviews:
·ooma
·Google Voice
·Comcast
·Future Nine Corp..

said by dnoyeB:

I went for the whole shebang.

»www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-SRW6U-···+cabinet

Tripp Lite has some nice cabinets for not too much. Well until you start adding shelves, etc. I have a server and routers, etc. in there. I started out as you did, but soon got carried away. I always wanted a cabinet to tinker with...

I wound up with a Tripp Lite 12U wall cabinet from Amazon.

The unit is here - »www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001TGUYI2

Cost at time of purchase was $311.55 no sales tax, free shipping.
--
"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand." - Milton Friedman"

dnoyeB
Ferrous Phallus

Southfield, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast

That is the one I purchased as well. Found it cheaper somewhere other than amazon but its been a while and I don't recall where.

The 12U was actually cheaper than the 10U, otherwise I would have bought the 10U.
--
dnoyeB
"Then said I, Wisdom [is] better than strength: nevertheless the poor man's wisdom [is] despised, and his words are not heard. " Ecclesiastes 9:16

pandora
Premium
Outland
Reviews:
·ooma
·Google Voice
·Comcast
·Future Nine Corp..

After the baluns suggestion, I checked around, and there are HDMI over Ethernet adapters too.

I'm going to test Comcast over Ethernet (both for cable modem and for video), HDMI over Ethernet, and of course cheap surveillance cameras over Ethernet (likely up to 200' for the cameras).

If HDMI, Coax, and HDMI all work, I'll just run 6 Cat 6 cables to each outlet, then at the common panel (the embedded Ethernet rack) I'll convert and patch as needed.

This may mean a lot of my Ethernet will be stuff like phone, HDMI, Coax or whatever, but I'll have a common set of wires to each outlet and be able to determine what their individual function will be at any time based on need.

Sigh, I looks like 2 48 port managed IP 4 IP 6 switches for me. In addition to the other stuff.

I'll still run one pure Coax from Comcast to my rack, not certain how to handle phones. I wonder if there is a PoE VOIP solution that could work.
--
"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand." - Milton Friedman"

dnoyeB
Ferrous Phallus

Southfield, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to pandora

thats HDMI over ethernet, not over IP. So it won't plug into your switch.

I think the future is IP though so eventually your video should be over IP as well. Its just that today video over IP is expensive.
--
dnoyeB

pandora
Premium
Outland
Reviews:
·ooma
·Google Voice
·Comcast
·Future Nine Corp..

said by dnoyeB:

thats HDMI over ethernet, not over IP. So it won't plug into your switch.

Yeah, I know that. My point is the patch panel may be a bit weird in that not everything will be going to a switch, and I'm going to need all endpoints very carefully labeled and validated.
--

dnoyeB
Ferrous Phallus

Southfield, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to dnoyeB

Click for full size
The Rack
I had mine like that for a few years. in the end I took the phone out of my patch panel. i just felt dirty with it in there :|