USA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit

Pages too wide with horizontal scroll bar

Click for full size
Wide page with scroll bar
I've been noticing this for awhile and it's very annoying. Any forum I visit at the site has very wide pages with a horizontal scroll bar. I'm not able to read anything without using the horizontal scroll bar. I can manage by moving the scroll bar to the right, but if I do that I have no idea who posted, so I'm constantly using the scroll bar.

I thought it might have been my browser, but I went to a few other sites and it's not happening anywhere else.

Can this be fixed somehow?

EDIT: to add a screenshot

Sincerely, Libra

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
kudos:2
O guess it could be fixed with changing the value of max-width in this class:
.syntaxhighlighter {
  max-width: 800px;
}

For example, instead of 800px it could be 700px or even 650px...

--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

Libra
Premium
join:2003-08-06
USA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
Thank you OZO but I don't know how to do that. And, it seems that some pages are too wide and others aren't, so if I tried to do some code (or whatever that is) to correct it, it may cause problems on the good pages. I was hoping the site could fix this.

Sincerely, Libra

fatness
subtle
Premium,ex-mod 01-13
join:2000-11-17
fishing
kudos:14
Can you post a couple links to pages that appear too wide, and a couple to pages that don't? Thanks.
--
my pants are parched and thirsty

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
kudos:2
reply to OZO
The code provided is rather a hint for web developers (and they know it better then anyone else, of course) where the size is defined. If they would want to help you - they could change it (reduce the value provided). So, the post was rather directed to them...

Now, if you use any HTML filtering program (for example, proxy server Proxomitron or similar) you may change that value on a fly, while page is downloaded on your computer. But it requires some knowledge and efforts to develop a filter, that will do the job. I know that from my personal experience - I use my own filters with Proxomitron and see this site differently, than many others do. I've adjusted many things here for my convenience and actually published in this very forum results (snapshots) and code that does it as an example for those who want to achieve something similar...

But I think it'd be better if developers of this site rather made those changes (reducing max values), so they will benefit all of the forum users.
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

Weirdal
Premium
join:2003-06-28
Grand Island, NE
kudos:21
reply to Libra
Turn off large thumbnails here: »/prefs/forum

You can hardly see 600 pixel images when you're using 800x600.
--
»[Info] The DSLR Orangeface extension 2.0!

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11
reply to Libra
I've come across pages like this even on my 1920 x 1200 resolution monitor if you can believe that! lol Usually it's the end result of some moron posting code that BLOWS the margins. I absolutely hate inconsiderate people like that.

Libra
Premium
USA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to fatness
Hi fatness,

Here are a few links to good threads and threads with the wide horizontal bar:

good pages:

»Yea or nay on IE 8?

»Adobe Flash Player 11.4.402.278 is out..

»Actiontec MI424WR FIOS N Router REV. I

not good:

»Leaving browser open with multiple tabs for extended period

»[Northeast] What does this mean..?

»Microsoft Security Bulletin(s) for September 11 2012

Thank you. I hope this can be fixed.

Sincerely, Libra

Libra
Premium
USA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Libra
@ OZO
Thanks for explaining your response. I don't use a filtering program.

@ Weirdal
My resolution is 1024 x 768.

@ Dustyn
I've come across a page or two like that, that seemed to go to right without end - I didn't know what the heck was wrong until someone else commented on it.

Weirdal
Premium
join:2003-06-28
Grand Island, NE
kudos:21
said by Libra:

@ Weirdal
My resolution is 1024 x 768.

It doesn't matter what your resolution is when your browser is only displaying ~785 pixels. Either close your side bar or disable large thumbnails. You can't resize a browser window smaller than an embedded image and expect it to not scroll.
--
»[Info] The DSLR Orangeface extension 2.0!

fatness
subtle
Premium,ex-mod 01-13
join:2000-11-17
fishing
kudos:14
reply to Libra
said by Libra:

Hi fatness,

Here are a few links to good threads and threads with the wide horizontal bar:

good pages:

»Yea or nay on IE 8?

»Actiontec MI424WR FIOS N Router REV. I

not good:

»Leaving browser open with multiple tabs for extended period

»[Northeast] What does this mean..?

Thank you. I hope this can be fixed.

Sincerely, Libra

Thank you.

Oddly, 2 of the pages that display "good" for you are a bit wide to me, and only 1 of the pages that display "not good" for you is wide.

»Yea or nay on IE 8?

--
my pants are parched and thirsty

Libra
Premium
USA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
Thanks for checking the links fatness.

This is odd. Now, when signed in, the only thread that is too horizontal is the Microsoft Security Bulletin(s) for Sept. 11. 2012.

I came to the site without being signed in and all three "not good" links are still not good.

I followed Weirdal See Profile advice of closing my sidebar and that fixes the problem except for the MS Security Bulletin thread, but if I scroll to the right I am able to view the posts and see the poster. So that's good.

I don't know how to disable large thumbnails and don't know how that affects this.

Sincerely, Libra