share rss forum feed view:
normal
This is a sub-selection from [ALL] Ask a Shaw Rep

Xison

@shawcable.net
reply to ShawSean

Re: [ALL] Ask ShawSean

Hi ShawSean,

I have an issue here with my Shaw Highspeed Extreme connection.

Beginning Sept 26th, I virtually had no connection. Shaw Speedtest I'd get anywhere from 40ms 200ms PING, 2Mbps Downstream, and Upstream would always fail.

I contacted tech support in the afternoon of Sept 27th when I realized the problem wasn't going to resolve itself. After going through their processes twice (I was disconnected by the first, silly cell phone doesn't work in this house, apparently), we came to no real conclusion either conversation I had.

Here is some of my information: I live in Moose Jaw, Sask. Shaw High Speed Extreme, Moto SurfBoard Modem (not sure which model this exact moment).
I do have a router, with two wired computers. I run Gentoo Linux on both, no iptables or firewall/antivirus.

Before considering calling support I connected my primary workstation directly to the modem, same problems.

It is now Sept 28th around 1:20am. I am averaging around 18-22Mbps Downstream (Excellent)... the problem now lies in my Upstream. I'm getting around 0.35Mbps on the Shaw Speedtest, and less at other places.

Running ping requests (50+ at a time - sequentially) to various places all over the Internet (google.ca, my own server, yahoo, etc. etc.) and I seem to be getting about a 3%-5% packet loss.

Trying to scp a 10MB file to my server I have housed in a datacenter in Pennsylvania, I'm averaging about 20KB/s (~0.16Mbps) Upstream. It bursts at the beginning around 90KB/s, but immediately drops to 20's, even dips as low as 8-9KB/s. I have a 100Mbps connection on the server. When SSH'd in, using wget, I can usually max that right out (sustained ~12MB/s).

So I ask you, do you have any thoughts on things I should check? I've double checked all of the cabling inside the house, I can't really get at the cabling on the outside of the house, but from what I can see, nothing has been visually damaged in the last few days.

I personally think it's the modem... I've been debating upgrading to the BB50 plan, but am weary of the "Modem." I have my networking setup the way I want, I don't want the added "functionality." The only competitor here (Sasktel) introduced an "all in one" modem/wifi/router like that and it was abysmal, which is _why_ I switched to Shaw in the first place (and it's been great up until this hiccup).

ShawSean

join:2010-07-16
Vernon, BC
kudos:12

Hey Xison - I apologize for not seeing your post earlier, not sure why I didn't get a notification. Regardless, are you still experiencing this packet loss? if so please either register on the boards and pm me your contact details or send me a direct message on the Shaw Community. We'll investigate this further.

Cheers
--
Sean
Shaw Community Manager

Xison

join:2012-09-28
Moose Jaw, SK

I have registered and sent you a message.

ShawSean

Vernon, BC

Replied, let me know if that works.

Cheers.
--
Sean
Shaw Community Manager

Laird

join:2012-02-04
Vancouver, BC

Hey Sean,

I changed my service to BB100 up from BB50 and had some issues.(nothing from Shaw) I did a switch back to BB50 and everything is great; however, the CSR's have charged me for BB100, unbundled all my services and are charging me individually for them. I called to have it fixed, they said there was a work order was sent to some division to get codes they needed to fix the issue on my bill, it is open still as of 10/2/12. I originally called about the fixing of my bill well over a week ago. Think you can help?

ShawSean

Vernon, BC

Hey guys, sorry for the delay in responding - have that nasty bug that's going around right now... hopefully you guys don't catch it.

Anyway - @Laird - responded to your pm

@tlhIngan - For equipment upgrades you'll have to contact customer service - that really isn't my area of expertise.

@derppp - We're currently working on the Android app, there's no current ETA for release however.

@Mike_C - This I don't know Mike. If you send me your account details and the channels you'd like to see added to the lineup, I can put through that request.

Cheers.
--
Sean
Shaw Community Manager

This is a sub-selection from [ALL] Ask a Shaw Rep