Search similar:

uniqs
Bob4
Account deleted
join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

Bob4

[OOL] Problems in Warren/Bridgewater?

Folks at home saying OOL isn't working. I ping my router and get 50% packet loss. Got a new IP address, too.

TV service was out this morning, but is working now.

Anyone else with similar problems?
svgtom
join:2012-08-04
Middlesex, NJ

svgtom

I'm in Middlesex and currently have no OOL or TV service. It went out a little after 2:30AM this morning. I called the service number a couple of hours ago. After 10 minutes on hold I got a message sayng that there is a service disruption in the area due to a car accident and that it's currently being worked on.

mbernste
MVM
join:2001-06-30
Piscataway, NJ

mbernste to Bob4

MVM

to Bob4
News 12 posted it on their Facebook page. A fiber line got cut in Piscataway. Interestingly enough, I live in Piscataway and as of 12:32 PM I still had Internet connectivity (I can monitor it remotely) and TV was working when I left my house at 6:10 AM. It's weird that I was unaffected.
Bob4
Account deleted
New Jersey

Bob4

At 4 AM, OOL was working but TV was not.

At 9 AM, TV was working but OOL was not.

OOL seems to have come back, but with yet another new IP address. Still 5 channels, but the downstream power levels are about 7 dB higher than they used to be (went from -2 to +5). Go figure.

Thanks for the note about the fiber cut, although it says Parsippany, not Piscataway. I guess it's related to that. (I thought there was supposed to be redundancy.)
svgtom
Middlesex, NJ

svgtom to Bob4

to Bob4
I guess this is the accident that caused the issue.

»www.nj.com/middlesex/ind ··· _on.html

I'm still waiting for my service to be restored.
Bob4
Account deleted
New Jersey

Bob4

Click for full size
Click for full size
Well, I can see how that would affect Piscataway. But I'm on the Warren head end, and it should have retained its connection from Parsippany.
svgtom
Middlesex, NJ

svgtom

Looks like I just got my service back.
Bob4
Account deleted
New Jersey

Bob4

So why would my downstream power be 8.5 dB higher today compared to what it's been for the past year.

mbernste
MVM
Piscataway, NJ

1 edit

mbernste to Bob4

MVM

to Bob4
It was originally reported as Parsippany but it was Piscataway. People confuse the two towns all the time.
Bob4
Account deleted
New Jersey

Bob4

said by Bob4:

So why would my downstream power be 8.5 dB higher today compared to what it's been for the past year.

Even stranger is that my cable boxes have the same lousy signal strength as ever (-10 to -20 dBm). So how/why did the OOL frequencies increase in power while the TV frequencies remained the same?

mbernste
MVM
Piscataway, NJ

mbernste to Bob4

MVM

to Bob4
There's a brief story about it here.

Uhm
@optonline.net

Uhm to Bob4

Anon

to Bob4
Because you don't quite understand the difference between receive and transmit?
Bob4
Account deleted
New Jersey

Bob4

Both are receive power levels. OOL receive power levels went up by 8 dB. TV receive power levels are the same as they've always been.

P.S. I have an electrical engineering degree and have been working with radar systems for 29 years, so I have a basic understanding of this stuff.
Bob4

Bob4

Oohhh, it looks like I got my upload speed back:

Bob4

Bob4

Dead again today (Saturday).

mbernste
MVM
Piscataway, NJ

mbernste

MVM