Search similar:

uniqs

donoreo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

donoreo

Premium Member

Interesting twist: company fights against condo to avoid....

Future problems. We know that people are idiots. They move in beside a railway track and complain about train noise and try to get the trains stopped. So with this in mind, Nestle is fighting a rezoning near them and a condo development. They know people will willingly buy the condos and then complain about the chocolate factory.

»www.thestar.com/news/gta ··· elopment

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

Thane_Bitter

Premium Member

Haha! I like it!

In this city there have been numerous screw-ups in which residential developments and recreation facilities had been put up along major traffic corridors or in the middle of industrial spaces. A few years pass and the NIMBY's emerge to complain about traffic on the expressway there home abuts, or that a recycling facility will be put in beside an inflatable sports dome. The cost to address these obvious issues goes into the tens of millions. Had thought and care been applied (not to mention adherence to zoning laws) such instances would not have occurred.

Planning, its more than just a word.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to donoreo

Premium Member

to donoreo
Of course, but it's Rob Ford's fault if it goes through.

It never ceases to amaze me. My folks bought a house in Etobicoke n the 60's when Pearson was still known as Malton Airport, a tiny little sucker compared today (DKS was getting married then )

Obviously as the airport grew it got louder, and the nimby's were out in full force complaining. I'm sorry but the Airport was there first, where is it supposed to go?

When I first went looking for a house I was looking in Brampton and there were signs everywhere saying it was a high noise area, it's a flight path.. but that doesn't stop people from bitching.

I can hardly wait for the Pro Trolly group to start complaining about the disruptions it's going to cause ,when roads are torn up, there is no parking, traffic is a mess (and boy St Clair was a hell of a mess).
MichelR
join:2011-07-03
Trois-Rivieres, QC

MichelR to donoreo

to donoreo
They built a residence for seniors across the street from Landsdowne Park in Ottawa. That's where several events are held, including concerts, football game when there was football, sometimes trade shows, etc. Who the hell thought it was a good idea to build that there? Let's say that concerts held there end a bit early.

J E F F4
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4 to donoreo

Premium Member

to donoreo
Good for them. We have this issue here in Kitchener were this dude had set up a mechanic shop and at the same time, houses were built behind him. Well, this dude starts his shop a 7 AM in the morning and generally closes at 10 or 11 PM a night. Neighbours seeing red over all the noise, especially in the summer when the garage doors are open. They pretty much want him to reduce his hours to 3PM to 5PM and keep the doors closed all the time. Not happening says the owner, as he was already zoned properly.

But these idiots who buy places w/o checking the neighbourhood or zoning laws, or when they get notice for zoning change they fail to attend. I understand at being upset if someone builds a 20 or 60 story building in your backyard...but at least attend the committee of adjustment when you get the notice, and vent your concerns, most likely the developer will pay you to move the heck out.
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

Right.

I've seen things here in the states where rich city folks move out to the country near pig farms, then complain about the smells....

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to J E F F4

Premium Member

to J E F F4
In Toronto, they'll just deny the mechanic a business license renewal and rezone the area.

Interesting thing going on near me. On Gerrard E ,west of Vic Park were basicaly brownfields, there has been a huge infil project of townhomes built there.

Smack dab in the middle is Central Fairbanks Lumber, one of the best lumber yards in the area, I drive by regularly and ask myself how long before someone offers them a bucket of money to sell the land.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

Thane_Bitter to PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

to PX Eliezer704
said by PX Eliezer704:

...here in the states where rich city folks move out to the country near pig farms, then complain about the smells....

Poor pigs, getting grouped in with a bunch of rich assholes, they hardly have a chance to get near the the trough. No wonder pork prices are rising!

J E F F4
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4 to elwoodblues

Premium Member

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

In Toronto, they'll just deny the mechanic a business license renewal and rezone the area.

Interesting thing going on near me. On Gerrard E ,west of Vic Park were basicaly brownfields, there has been a huge infil project of townhomes built there.

Smack dab in the middle is Central Fairbanks Lumber, one of the best lumber yards in the area, I drive by regularly and ask myself how long before someone offers them a bucket of money to sell the land.

They might have a hard time denying the business license since it's all businesses in front of him, Starbucks, a Mac repair shop, Petro Canada, Libro Bank, Marble Slab Creamery...

Interesting thing about the brownfield. They've done a lot of that here, including a very impressive townhome residence.

Sucks at the loss of jobs at that factory though. (I believe they ground down rims...)

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

2 edits

elwoodblues

Premium Member

I've seen it before Jeff, in Toronto, there was a "bar/nightclub' that the residents didn't like, after a some pressure the city didn't renew their business license.

landsdowne
@bell.ca

landsdowne to MichelR

Anon

to MichelR
the building for seniors across landsdown has been there for for years and years. all outdoor concerts in ottawa shut down at 11 pm its the noise bylaw in ottawa. a 7am start is the normal in ottawa for any type of construction. the people in the building probably enjoy the odd event across the street anyways. bet they wouldnt have that then the construction for the year while they rebuild the park.

i on my own end cant wait for the sports to come back downtown. i ll re purchase my season tickets for the football. i live downtown now i cant wait to flip the bird at the glebe residents who used to park the cars in front of the homes to mess up parking for people attending events at the park. can you imagine being so anal that you live beside a big park and when they have events you pull your suvs outu of the driveway put them on the road just to make it difficult for people attending an event....