how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ponline

join:2004-03-04
presheva

Free Wi-Fi minus residential users!

The idea is to provide free WI-FI on some of the most frequented places on town for smart phone usage and some casual laptop users.

But the problem is there would be covered also a lot of houses who are residential clients of my company (or others). It's impossible to plan such an antenna placement so I can exclude houses.

Time limit per day/per mac address would be an option, but also annoying for users who associate and then forget it just to find out later that they are banned for a day.

Any idea on a method to somehow classify residential vs mobile users with Mikrotik or other any system?

raytaylor

join:2009-07-28
kudos:1

check out DMA soft labs radius manager.
I believe it could do it.

When the user has finished their session, they are redirected back to the walled garden where they wont be able to login for the rest of the day. I am pretty sure it does free tickets by mac address.

To stop local residents using it, i would suggest a 30 min per day time limit, and a 256kbit connection speed. Suitable for email and a few videos on youtube as well as alot of facebook.
But not suitable for the home user.

ponline

presheva
reply to ponline

I happen to use Radius Manager, but im interestedn in a sort of a stealth operation, without users have to log in and off, and be limited on time?

Airnode

join:2006-09-01
Germany
reply to ponline

we do similar on all towers we have extra 2,4g Aps as well as in the city (busstops restaurants kiosk sportspark etc)

users get access 1houre for free ore get a tiket online ore get a tiket on a kiosk (nearest selligpoint shown on a map of the portalpage)

If its a regular user that have fiber ore wireless access with a 5ghz cpe then he gets extra hotspot account on the radius for free anyway... all done with MT and Radiusmanager.

How ever it took me a while to put everything together working flawless

nunya
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
·surpasshosting
reply to ponline

This is a great way to "get your name out there" with little cost to you (compared to paying for marketing).

I would limit bandwidth and incorporate a redirected nag screen on a timed interval.
Think like a software vendor with their free-to-try software.
--
If someone refers to herself / himself as a "guru", they probably aren't.

TomS_
Git-r-done
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-19
London, UK
kudos:5
reply to ponline

Turn the power right down so that it covers a very small area?

The problem is the way you want to offer it. If you want it to be open and free, then you will get people who will abuse the generosity. Fact of life.

If you want it to be controlled to prevent abuse, then you need some form of authentication.

Or a combination, like my former company used to do. Lock down open access to a limited set of sites (most popular news sites, email services, etc) or protocols (e.g. 80 and 53 so they can browse sites). Authenticate to get full open access.

It will keep most people honest, but you'll always have that small portion who are a bit more savvy and will find some way to exploit the setup.

prairiesky

join:2008-12-08
canada
kudos:2
reply to ponline

What i've found is that it's generally not worth it for advertising.

Remember that it's a representation of your system. So if you limit the speed and it's slow, they think your system is slow. If it drops out because the backend doesn't work, they think your system drops. Then there's the people who abuse the system.

You're better off just leaving it locked for the people who have your service, or offering a full speed free trial for a day or 2.

jcremin

join:2009-12-22
Siren, WI
kudos:2

said by prairiesky:

What i've found is that it's generally not worth it for advertising.

I've made the same conclusion on my network... I had more people call me for support about how to connect or why their device and I ended up spending more time dealing with calls that made me no money than it was worth.

Another neighboring WISP swears up and down about all the extra cash they bring in, but they are also in a much more populated area than us and can target areas where there are concentrations of more tech savvy users.

ponline

presheva

Well, Im asked from the municipality to do it with a reasonable price.
The price wont justify even if I loose two-three residential clients,
If I refuse to do it, there will be some genius who will do it.
How people are use to do it here: buy ADSL internet and share a WI-FI router for the masses.
It's good until now those adsl routers are all placed indoor (cafe shops, restaurants or some institutions) and don't cover that much.

If that is wrong or right, there is nothing i can do, and i would like to leave that out of discussion and stay on topic.
I don't want to argue for the whole idea and change their minds of how is done or how much should it cost.

Instead - I wanted to come out with something smooth that doesn't make it a replacement for residential service, and also put my brand and use the publicity out of it, and do it for Free

Now lets do some brain storming.
I have two ideas, one is very simple but not so elegant the second is a bit complicated.
First - I was thinking a service that will shut down on 10pm. Most residential will not deal with the internet that shuts down at 10pm ( I'm talking for my clients). Also the town won't care at all after 10 when no one is out on the street.

The second idea is , to make a script on Mikrotik that puts mac addresses on access list and ban them if it stays ON for let say 1hr (or any given time). The access list will be reset every day at 24h.
That would be more than enough for any casual user, most of them will never get the chance to get banned. (I dont care for few tech savvy users who know how to spoof mac adresses, they will get anoyed changing it every hour)

This script should be easy done BUT there is one problem that complicates it. Users leave their phones to auto associate, so they will be associated most of the time even if they don't use the internet.If we can make a script that doesn't count the IDLE time that will be the WIN situation.
I am asking all the Mikrotik Gurus do you think that this kind of script is doable?

TomS_
Git-r-done
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-19
London, UK
kudos:5

1 edit

I like your idea of counting how long they have been on and blocking them after an hour. But perhaps I'd do an hour-on-hour-off type thing. At least then if the customer decides to return to the same venue two or 3 times a day (not uncommon for a good coffee shop) then they arent totally locked out after their morning coffee.

For someone sitting at home trying to get their Internets for free, having to plan their usage around every other hour would just be painful.

How to achieve it ... not sure on a MT, but I could give some theory..

* Every minute or so, look at the MAC table.
* New MACs get added in to a file along with a timestamp indicating when it was first seen
* Current MACs have their timestamp compared to current time and if its >= 60 minutes then add some kind of firewall rule to block their MAC, remove the entry from the first file, and then add their MAC along with timestamp into another file that tracks blocks
* MACs that have disappeared have their entry removed

Then you just need another script, or perhaps the same script to look at the second file to determine when the blocks should be removed.

ponline

presheva

1 recommendation

Thanks TomS_ that is also a good idea.
Still the IDLE problem remains, If a user checks the mail for 5 min and leaves his phone associated, and then decides after 55 min to check the mail again won't be allowed.

Another idea would be counting the traffic. Lets say you give users an amount of daily traffic. If they use it, they have reached the limit for the current day. The traffic would be set for a normal daily usage of browsing webpages, facebook etc. I would guess 50-100MB would be more than enough for the mobile users, and not sufficient for residential's. I guess this would be easily done with MT.

nunya
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12

That's an excellent idea. You just have to find the data limit "sweet spot".
--
If someone refers to herself / himself as a "guru", they probably aren't.

ponline

presheva
reply to ponline

A very simple script of how to limit a user to a given amount of bandwidth.

»wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Limiting_···affic_II