Andy from CA
Premium Member
join:2008-09-05
Anaheim, CA

Andy from CA

Premium Member

said by skeechan:

LOL, it's no longer a voice line if you are running it 24/7

Back in the day (80s) you could get a second line without any special install or billing. My dad had a fax line in Huntington Beach California. Can you still get a second line without much hassle and would a dedicated dial-up line make much sense these days?

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

GTE in Huntington Beach always charged for each line. Same bill, but each line was billed separately. I don't know how your dad got line 2 for free.

Andy from CA
Premium Member
join:2008-09-05
Anaheim, CA

Andy from CA

Premium Member

said by skeechan:

GTE in Huntington Beach always charged for each line. Same bill, but each line was billed separately. I don't know how your dad got line 2 for free.

No, he paid for both lines, it wasn't a hassle getting a second line was my point. Our neighbors wanted a third and they had to jump through hoops to get it. That's what I meant, everyone could get two but most only got one.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

Oh, yeah. All the homes where are wired 2 line (at least the ones in south HB and NW HB). The point was dial up isn't "$5" because it requires the phone line, especially if as the other poster wanted to do, run it 24/7 as a dial up connection. Here, basic line with tax is close to $20 with Verizon, $17 with AT&T because of the taxes and fees.