KoolMoe
Aw Man
Premium Member
join:2001-02-14
Annapolis, MD

KoolMoe

Premium Member

[Hardware] new phone (VM, unlocked?) suggestions

I understand that most mobile phones, when purchased through a carrier with a plan, are 'locked' to that provider via a sim card.

There are also 'unlocked' phones (i.e. Nexus?) that you can purchase then install a provider's sim card, and have that provider activate that phone/card for your account.

Generally correct so far?

So I have a cheap plan with VirginMobile and the Samsung Intercept phone. While the phone was a little slow when new, and acceptable, it's recently been crashing and slowing more and more often.

Aside from perhaps doing a factory restore (if possible. Wish it was easy to just 'reinstall the OS' like I've done a thousand times before on PCs ...
...maybe just time for a new phone.

I really, really want a slider keyboard. There don't seem to be many of those around though
VM has the Kyocera Rise, but reviews show that to be just slightly better (and perhaps worse) than the Intercept...

SO to my question: anyone have any recommendations for a decent/solid phone with a slider keyboard that's unlocked, which I can at least most likely use with my Virgin Mobile plan?

Any insights appreciated!

AMejia1976
join:2000-07-29
Kissimmee, FL

AMejia1976

Virgin is CDMA and can not be unlocked. Only GSM phones can be. You might be able to get an older Sprint phone but I am not sure if VM allowes those ESN's.

@

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

skeechan to KoolMoe

Premium Member

to KoolMoe
»www.androidauthority.com ··· 2-55315/

The LG Optimus Slider gets consistent good reviews although specs are a bit dated. The Xperia Pro can also be found unlocked.

KoolMoe
Aw Man
Premium Member
Annapolis, MD

KoolMoe

Premium Member

Thanks both!
Guess I'd have to ask VM directly if I can find/use an unlocked phone? They use Sprint, right? So anything Sprint should work on VM...?

Yeah, the LG Optimus was available when I picked the Samsung and now over a year old, if I'm going to upgrade, I want to actually UPgrade...and while the Sony phone is also old, it's at least a 1ghz processor... Maybe I just need to wait and see what comes out closer to Christmas. I hope sliders aren't ditched, I really dislike onscreen keyboards...

Cheers!

TheHarvester
Premium Member
join:2006-08-25
Dana Point, CA

TheHarvester to KoolMoe

Premium Member

to KoolMoe
I was in the same position as you about 6 months ago with the exact same phone. I loved the slide out keyboard and was sure my next phone had to have one as well. However, the larger screen and better specs of the Motorola Triumph won out. The phone is much better than the Intercept in just about every aspect.

For my keyboard dilemma, I decided to try the "Swype" keyboard and I ended up liking it over the physical keyboard. I don't know it the swype is compatible with the Intercept but if it is, give it a try, you may like it and that could open other possibilities of phones...not that there are many choices with Virgin Mobile.

dib22
join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

dib22 to KoolMoe

to KoolMoe
VM is a closed CDMA network (like sprint, verizon, us cellular etc) and only VM devices work on their network.

Yes technically any modern us cdma phone would work on any cdma network, and yes even more so since VM is a unit of sprint, using sprints network... but they lock their network to only 'authorized' devices (ie ones they sold).

KoolMoe
Aw Man
Premium Member
Annapolis, MD

KoolMoe to TheHarvester

Premium Member

to TheHarvester
Thanks for that. My phone is sooo slow I really hesitate to try anything new on it...and my like for the slide keypad is so...tactile...I doubt I'll give Swype a chance...and even if I do upgrade to a different phone (i.e. Triumph). Guess I'll just wait and see what may be available closer to Christmas...

Pretty lame I can't activate any phone on a given carrier...but I guess that's part of their game...
Thanks for the replies!
KM

TheHarvester
Premium Member
join:2006-08-25
Dana Point, CA

TheHarvester

Premium Member

If you do a factory restore on the Intercept, it should speed it back up. I had all my pictures on the SD card and whenever it seemed to be slowing down or crashing, I would do a factory restore and it would be good for a while.

It does suck how they limit your choices, but on the other hand, I like the $25.00 month bill.

If you do upgrade to anything without a keyboard, you NEED to give Swype a try. You can always uninstall it or even leave it installed and just choose the stock keyboard, It's not a permanent thing.

AMejia1976
join:2000-07-29
Kissimmee, FL

AMejia1976

While doing a factory restore will in fact speed up the OS and hardware it will be a very short lived speed-up.

While some of the newer Pre-Paid/No Contract phones have great hardware options available, most of the older ones do not.

Anything on VM that came to market before the EVO lacked decent internal memory, next to no RAM and slow processors. I do not know what would be a good performing phone on the other networks.

Users treated those units not knowing the lack of power they have/had.

Many users that have come to the store complaining of slow or lagging units downloaded apps such as Facebook not knowing how much info such apps cache. I had a customer whose phone had 150mb internal memory and FB was caching about 50mb. So yes, doing a factory restore would work... until he logged onto FB.

If getting a prepaid phone, my biggest suggestion is RESEARCH before you buy. Do not always go by salespeople (yes, i am one. But I dont just feed people BS) info. Yes; the phones are perfect for calling and texting but when it comes to apps they are not always up to par.

Spending $100 on a prepaid android based phone is not going to get you anything worth bragging about. $200+ will get you a unit you will be happier with.

Keep only those apps you WILL use. If you don't use an app get rid off it. Games eat storage for lunch! Put a memory card on it so you can have pics/music and any other media stored there and not the phone's memory. If the phone has Android 3.x try moving those apps that allow it to the phones MicroSD. Yes, moving them might slow those apps a bit but not as much. Do not keep more than 500 combined text messages. Delete any MMS you don't need. And last but not least.... USE THE BACK BUTTON. USING HOME DOES NOT REALLY SHUT THE APP.

@l3x

KoolMoe
Aw Man
Premium Member
Annapolis, MD

KoolMoe

Premium Member

I got what I could off the phone last night (finally), then did the factory reset.
Much better responsiveness in the phone now.
I redownloaded a couple apps I use but left many off...
So will see how long this lasts.
Finally did it last night when, in the afternoon, a call came in and by the time the damn phone woke-up and unlocked, I'd missed the call.
Lame.
Better now, and hope it lasts a bit...at least til a worthwhile new slider phone comes out (or, jeeez, will have to try swype!