spc
Search similar:

uniqs
lunanox315
join:2012-09-27
Martinsburg, WV

lunanox315

Trying to Find Info About Comcast Local Contractors

I am trying to find information on who does the installing/contracting for Comcast in the Martinsburg WV area. I want to see about paying to get Comcast to install cable to my house that is about 650' off the road. I'm going to try the regular 800 number first but I've read that usually that gets you nowhere.

Any adive would be appreciated!

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

Ask (via phone, or local ComCast service center (not just a third-party billpay place)) for contact info for the area Construction office, then contact them for a site survey (it's free to you) within a few weeks someone will look at what it would take and provide you with an estimate (an absolute NO! is rare but can happen) of the cost to you ($0-$1,000'S) and provide the correct sign here and return forms, if you want to go ahead.
Not hard, takes a little work and waiting on your part.
lunanox315
Martinsburg, WV

lunanox315

Well I called and put in a request for a site survey. We'll see what the answer is, but the last 2 times I asked (about a year ago and then about 5 months ago) they only told me that since I was over 250' away from the road that they couldn't do anything. This time I asked to know about the cost if I wanted to undertake it myself, so here's hoping! I did ask about Comcast contractors but the CSR didn't really know anything about it. The closest Comcast service outlet is only open during normal business hours and I work 40 minutes away from home, so that will be my next stop if this goes nowhere.

Comcast cable...one day...one day you will be mine!

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

Sounds like you made the right contact, now you wait for a reply
as long as you own the property or at least the house and have RoW from the road to the house, chances are good it can be done, at some price.

RR Conductor
Ridin' the rails
Premium Member
join:2002-04-02
Redwood Valley, CA

RR Conductor to lunanox315

Premium Member

to lunanox315
Do you have a WISP around? If you can't get anywhere with Comcast, try one of those.
travelguy
join:1999-09-03
Bismarck, ND

travelguy to lunanox315

to lunanox315
You also have the option of going wired or wireless from a Comcast drop at the road to the house. This would be HSI only - no TV.
lunanox315
Martinsburg, WV

lunanox315

I do have a RoW from the road to the house. No, there is no WISP in my area...thought of that as well. Right now the options are Comcast or Frontier - and Frontier sucks to be honest. My Download speeds at peak times are now about 100-200 kbps - not even enough to watch Netflix or Hulu and barely enough to play Warcraft. That whole thing is in another posting though.

I'm not sure what Travelguy is talking about. Do you mean try to get a wireless router out by the street? There are woods and a hill in between myself and the road - I don't see that as feasible but maybe there's something I'm missing...

AnonName
@comcast.net

AnonName to lunanox315

Anon

to lunanox315
You can check with Decisive, I think they do a lot of the construction in the area.

5305 Jefferson Pike # G
Frederick, MD 21703-6982

Phone:(301) 473-5706

»www.manta.com/c/mtwb01l/ ··· ions-inc
cwm1276
join:2004-01-16
Stillman Valley, IL

cwm1276 to lunanox315

to lunanox315
You could install a cable modem at the road, and run your own network back to the house. For example, you could run fiber on your poles then convert to Ethernet at the modem and the house. That would provide IP but no Video.
lunanox315
Martinsburg, WV

lunanox315

How would you protect a modem from the elements if it's down by the road and how would you provide it power? I'm thinking of a standard cable modem - I'm not sure what you are referring to. I could see maybe hooking a modem and wireless router up at the road and then maybe a repeater in between the road and house, but again, how would you provide power and protection from the outdoors?

I did talk to Comcast finally and they are contacting the local construction office to get an estimate for me. Hopefully should hear something by next Thursday at the latest.

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

Outdoor Cable Modems?

It looks like SMC made an "Outdoor Cable Modem" at one time »www.smc.com/index.cfm?ev ··· pid=1613 but it appears to be MD'ed now »www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 25136007

There is also this old thread about this: »[cable] Outdoor Cable modem???
lunanox315
Martinsburg, WV

lunanox315

Thanks for the link to the thread! I'm going to talk to Comcast when they call me back to see if just having the service hooked into at the road would be feasible. I can probably get a subcontractor to hook in the modem and run the cable...here's hoping I can get the local construction office information!

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

OK, well, I didn't think that it was actually a viable solution.

That SMC modem has been discontinued for a while now, and was something that would be Comcast installed for certain outdoor services. The logistics of having a modem located at the road 650 feet away from the house also seemed quite complex.

I just thought it was an interesting idea/issue that others had looked at before.