join:2010-01-07
Evans, GA
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Threatco

Re: [Raiding] Mogu'Shan Vaults

Thanks for the tips.

From last night's attempts, moving our group for every mine was too much of a dps loss. Mines come out too often for that. We did better with the mines by keeping our all-ranged dps spread out. Jasper chains is still an issue, but that will have to be addressed with more reps. The biggest problem is when we get 2 healers chained... movement interrupts heals... and that's no bueno.

Our last attempt was pretty good. If we can keep that going into tonight we should make some real progress. It was our first time as a complete raid group, so we can't be too hard on ourselves.
--
Guild leader of Pride and Ego
Immergruen (resto/boomie) on Nathrezim Server (US)
Agrende (discipline/holy); Esclavizado (blood/unholy)

Intelligence is no substitute for Character.

Ginjer
Premium
join:2009-08-14
Honolulu, HI

said by Immer:

Thanks for the tips.

From last night's attempts, moving our group for every mine was too much of a dps loss. Mines come out too often for that. We did better with the mines by keeping our all-ranged dps spread out. Jasper chains is still an issue, but that will have to be addressed with more reps. The biggest problem is when we get 2 healers chained... movement interrupts heals... and that's no bueno.

Our last attempt was pretty good. If we can keep that going into tonight we should make some real progress. It was our first time as a complete raid group, so we can't be too hard on ourselves.

Patience is a virtue.
--
85 Pogasim (Pandaren Monk), 85 Sunlock (Dwarf Lock), 85 Shocktrio (Draeni Shaman)

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
Evans, GA
Reviews:
·Comcast

I'm working on it... /sheepishgrin

Looking beyond the current plateau (managing explosions and trap detonations), I'm worried that I may not be healing efficiently. Mana management will be tight for a 7 min fight... and I need to work in smarter Spirit Shells, Halo, the uptime on Rapture and Borrowed time need to be improved... need to give myself a gangnam style pep talk before tonight's raid, lol.
--

Ginjer
Premium
join:2009-08-14
Honolulu, HI

said by Immer:

I'm working on it... /sheepishgrin

Looking beyond the current plateau (managing explosions and trap detonations), I'm worried that I may not be healing efficiently. Mana management will be tight for a 7 min fight... and I need to work in smarter Spirit Shells, Halo, the uptime on Rapture and Borrowed time need to be improved... need to give myself a gangnam style pep talk before tonight's raid, lol.

WOMP, WOMP, WOMP, WOMP....
--
85 Pogasim (Pandaren Monk), 85 Sunlock (Dwarf Lock), 85 Shocktrio (Draeni Shaman)

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
join:2010-08-24
Mexico
kudos:5

My input from last night:

* Need 3 healers at least for our first kill
* Healers need to put special attention to tank with 2 dogs
* Moving as a pack brings down the dps big time
* Tanks need to work on taunting rotations and communication, if tank that has 2 and one is petrifying leave it alone.
* I need to work on my tank gear, I felt squishy when having 2 dogs
* Most of the deaths I saw were by jasper chains
* We need a shaman/druid
--
Judge a man by the trials of his shield, not the empty reaping of his sword.

Nick D
Premium
join:2010-02-04
Orange, CA

What're your tank classes Jobbie?

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
Mexico

Last night main tanks were:

Frost as Blood DK
Tier as Protection Paladin

Healer/Offtank:
Jobbie Protection Paladin

When we tried to two heal it was Tier and myself then I switched to get a third healer and Frost switched to Blood.
--

JB
Stay Gold
Premium
join:2009-05-14
kudos:1

Dual smushy pallies, yay! What's the heal comp? Holy Pally beacon on the 2x tank and then hots/small heals on the other tank should make it pretty easy.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
Evans, GA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Immer

I really hope this isn't our combo for tonight. This is how it looks with a melee heavy crew, too.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNqD_50ZjR8&hd=1

JB
Stay Gold
Premium

It's a mess, we had like 13 melee total, it was rough.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
Mexico
reply to JB

said by JB:

Dual smushy pallies, yay! What's the heal comp? Holy Pally beacon on the 2x tank and then hots/small heals on the other tank should make it pretty easy.

Last night heal comp was Holy Pally x 2 and Disc Priest, one of the holy paladins is being replace with a shaman next week.
--

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
Evans, GA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Immer

This is just a tough combo to start out with because it requires a lot of independent action to be executed to near perfection. So, basically, everyone is learning everything at once, on their own, lol.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IVCH5C2lr8&hd=1

Threatco

join:2011-04-19
Moncton, NB

4 edits

I had a chance to do the First Boss fight as moonkin and resto. Downed it as resto.

We healed with 2 resto druids and 1 shaman.

I had not healed in a while as I thought I was going to be tanking. But it worked out. During the fight there is not many times where you actualy have to cast a big heal. It is pretty steady damage to the raid and tanks. For me it was mostly on cooldown rotation. If I had to throw a regrowth or healing touch, then something was wrong.

Keep in mind when I say stacking, I mean loose stacking. As far apart as possible while still being close enough to everyone but the tank so that a new chains will be ticking at minimum damage. This way Ice trap only makes 1 perosn move the full way out, the rest just move a little tiny way if at all.

My primary arguement for staying close to melee relies mostly on the amount of time you have to move. The traps don't explode for 5 whole seconds. Thats enough time to finish your cast and then some. It's only 1 gcd instant cast of movement. No real down time, maybe a slight shift in rotation. Same goes for dps.

The key thing to keep in mind is you dont have to scramble to get out of ice. You have time.

The second key thing is ice damage is not that high. Compared to a chain spawning 30+ yards apart and needing to run together, 1 shot of 80-90 k is nothing. The raid does not take damage often, so you can heal that up as slow and efficiently as you want.

The third key is the roots is easy to break. Stampeding roar, or all sorts of other derooting pvp abilities can be used. And the roots dont matter, chains are going to be near by as default. And there won't be more raid damage for a long time. 2 wild growth equivilants and in 20 seconds they are at full hp with no change to healing rotation.

The fourth key is that being stacked close for AoE heals brings more upsides then the ice traps bring downsides. Worst case scenario no one moves, everyone takes 80k dmg and is rooted. Spread out jade damage becomes a real pain.

And you mentioned DPS loss.

Melee not having to run to ranged, while they wait for ranged to figure out they are chained to a melee and go to melee, is going to be a bigger dps boost then not having ranged sidestep as often.

And are you sure your not beating the enrage timer anyways? My groups avg ilvl was about 462 and we beat it by 2 mins.

Good luck!

I am looking for more tips on Feng p2>p3 transition. More explanation of stunning epicenter, like what can go wrong. And the best spreading out for p3 strat. Thanks!

Eumaeus

join:2009-12-10
Yorktown, VA

Threat - my guild had our first MSV run last night and went 2/6. For our P2-P3 Feng transition we had our tank move him to the very center. The raid then circled out around him at a radius big enough that the person with the arcane explosion debuff wouldnt hit th tanks. Once someone got the debuff we moved the entire raid on top of the boss on a loose stack to minimize his AoE damage. As soon as the channel ended we fanned back out until a new debuff target was selected.

Between popping the tank ability shield every other AoE and having the healers keep an eye on the person with the debuff we ended up not losing anyone during the phase. Hope this helps!
--
Eumaeus - Guardian Druid
GM of Lux ex Tenebris - Sargeras | Alliance
Recruiting 1 Heal/1 Tank for 10m MoP
Tues/Wed 7:30-11:00 EST Msg for Info

Nick D
Premium
Orange, CA
reply to Threatco

Feng p2->p3: make sure you use Barrier on your last Draw Flame. Depending on group DPS, this will be 3rd or 4th Draw Flame; you just have to figure out which based on your team. We were 4th last week and 3rd this week. Use the Barrier on the last, and 2 before last (1st or 2nd depending).

You can stun nearly every Epicenter (and will easily have Barrier for those you can't). You need to get the charge as soon as possible, so the tank with Shroud needs to be NOT tanking when his button is off cooldown. The CD on the Shroud is based on when you get the spell, not when you cast the spell, so you can hang on to it for 15 seconds with the CD ticking down.

McBrain
BRB Face Melting

join:2010-05-06
Kalimdor
kudos:2

Soooo glad I'm not a tank this patch.

Trying to wrap my head around the first two fights from all three perspectives is giving me headaches...It's probably mostly because I've got a lot of other real life stuff on my mind, but really knowing all three archetypes in this patch's current content seems much more difficult than in previous patches.

Nick D
Premium
Orange, CA

Gara'jal is the worst, because all your careful planning can be undone by last second voodoo dolls.

PS our strat last week is not sustainable so we did not kill him last night Going to try 1 "add guy" who stays down a lot (we proved this works) and a rotating "boss guy" who comes up all the time. Boss guy's stacks are designed to fall off. Add guy maintains stacks to annihilate stuff down below.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3

I know in LFR the voodoo dolls are death.

Nick D
Premium
Orange, CA

They're just extra damage. The problem is voodoo dolls can't go to the Spirit Realm, so you have to be careful who you send, and when you send them.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3

In LFR I'd get it and then take a sh**ton of damage because the tank would also have it and it'd spread the damage to me.

Curious12

join:2012-10-01
Newport News, VA
reply to Immer

what was your dps like for first and second boss fights ?

Nick D
Premium
Orange, CA
reply to DarkLogix

said by DarkLogix:

In LFR I'd get it and then take a sh**ton of damage because the tank would also have it and it'd spread the damage to me.

In LFR its 50% of tank damage (the tank always gets it then he fixates). In normal its 70%, and heroic is 100%.

HAVE FUN

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
Evans, GA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Threatco

You aren't really talking about this week's comp, are you (Cobalt, Jade, Amethyst)?

The traps (cobalt mines) become active after 3 seconds, and if you weren't moving when it was cast, it takes a full second to run out of the dotted circle. That leaves 2 seconds of buffer... which is fine for a dot, or to finish a quick cast. But several heals and some nukes are 2.5+ sec casts. Better to interrupt, move for a second and recast than to stand still, take the hit, then obligate a healer to spend a 2+ second cast to heal that 90k you just ate by yourself. I think it's awesome that this strat works for you guys, but there were clearly some mitigating factors not coverd in your strat which might lead to a lot of heartache and failure for other comps.

Also, I get what you are saing regarding the "close to melee" bit... but when you are talking about closeness to melee, I think you are inidicating a closeness of about 15yds. Any closer and you risk getting your tank trapped behind everyone else's cobalt mines.

An un-mitigated cobalt mine is just dumb dmg to take. No need to dismiss almost 1/3 of your health... get out of the mine every time that you can... and only trigger it under the right conditions. IF you have to eat a mine because there's no where to run, pop a personal CD and pray that an amethyst pool doesn't apear under you while you are rooted.

Jasper Chains are horrible... I'm not going to pretend to have any answers or discourse on that mechanic. they just suck.

Amethyst pools are not a problem by themselves. I wish cobalt mines were as small as amethyst pools, lol! Getting frozen in an amethyst pool is a big problem, though... ouch.

As for raid wide damage... the goal is to have the tanking swaps smooth enough so that the damage stays at a steady pace. One out-of-sequence detonation, however, creates a world of hurt. If you are taking spike dmg, look at the dogs' energy bars. Something is amiss with how/when they are getting swapped. There is no time to talk it out in Vent (maybe in mumble or skype)... the Ventrilo Delay makes mid-fight debates moot.

edit: Oh... and a note about DPS that I wish I had seen sooner. You know that dog that is by himself? Yeah... he gains a 90% dmg reduction buff. yep. So, if you have DPS that need to single-target to maximize their performance... make sure their single target is always one of the paired dogs. It matters... on the order of 15~20k dps!

--

JB
Stay Gold
Premium
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable

said by Immer:

There is no time to talk it out in Vent (maybe in mumble or skype)... the Ventrilo Delay makes mid-fight debates moot.

No, just no. You can and HAVE to plan tank swaps ahead of time. Easiest way is to have your MT LEAD/direct the dog swaps. The updated DBM provides a pop-up mini panel of the dogs energy bars.

s1deout
Geek4Life
Premium
join:2003-12-10
Troy, OH

said by JB:

said by Immer:

There is no time to talk it out in Vent (maybe in mumble or skype)... the Ventrilo Delay makes mid-fight debates moot.

No, just no. You can and HAVE to plan tank swaps ahead of time. Easiest way is to have your MT LEAD/direct the dog swaps. The updated DBM provides a pop-up mini panel of the dogs energy bars.

Sweet!!! I was waiting for a better way to see the energy bars of the dogs without enabling the boss frame on my SUF.

McBrain
BRB Face Melting

Kalimdor
reply to JB

said by JB:

said by Immer:

Both tanks should understand the rhythm of the swaps. Once the initial pull happens and things settle in they should both be on the same page anticipating which dog will be moving next. The call outs should be more for confirmation/assurance...Like JB says, this flow should be planned out and understood ahead of time, there isn't room for second guessing. Especially for groups like mine where there is a very small margin for error.
--
McBrain#1430

Name's Ash...Housewares.

tuladrin

@idv.net

Since you can switch talents and glyphs on the fly, our group made sure each member had an oh sh...t talent (exhileration on my hunter for example) Tanks only talk to time switches and warn if they made a mistake and all get ready to use that oh sh...t talent. Dps then just needs to pay attention to their chained partner/mines and which dog to hit. It gets easy after awhile

JB
Stay Gold
Premium

Anyone got tips for Elegon that aren't covered in IcyVeins? We made great progress in less than an hour, but just want to make sure we get it down tonight and take over server second.

Arsinic

join:2011-02-17
Ruffs Dale, PA

Are you hitting berserk or dying at a transition in particular?

McBrain
BRB Face Melting

Kalimdor
reply to JB

Ok, I've only done Will of the Emperor on LFR, but I've got a question. Being ranged, I don't really have to worry about the boss mechanics, just the adds. But how in the world to I keep from getting my teeth kicked in by them? Especially the smaller, lower health mobs (Rage I think they are called)...It seemed like every time a set would come out, at least one would make a B line right for me...I'd have to kite the shit out of it to stay alive. It's not like I was going hard on them from the start either...It just seemed like they really, really wanted to munch on some Mcbrain.

Having to run around Blinking and Ice Blocking really hurt my DPS, a lot...If it would have been on normal I would've been crushed several times over and probably caused a wipe...I just don't know what I was doing wrong or what to do to fix it.

I guess I could have done like the sPriest and just multi-dotted the 2 bosses the whole time and ignore the adds all together...but I like to respect mechanics most of the time, even in LFR.
--
McBrain#1430

Name's Ash...Housewares.