uniqs
share rss forum feed

JPL
Premium
join:2007-04-04
Downingtown, PA
kudos:4
reply to Greg2600

Re: October is here.. Are those dozen HD channels coming?!?!

said by Greg2600:

It's either MPEG-4 or IPTV, there's no other choices. Given Verizon's absurdly slow roll out of their 26-channel IPTV solution for Xbox and we assume iPad, I'm not confident it's a solution they can use in the home.

Again, I'm aware of that. I was simply answering the question that was asked: if we have iptv, then why do we need mpeg-4? That's all. I threw out a list of hypotheticals to back it up, as in: if we shelve IP, what else is there for expanding bandwidth? I thought I was pretty clear in making the case that those other options weren't in the cards for Verizon (e.g. I talked about the cost of 1GHz QAM, and how if you're going to go through the exercise of replacing equipment anyway... why not go with mpeg-4, and I also mentioned that the mpeg-2 compression was tried and rejected).

I don't mean to pound on this, but I get it. I do.

BTW, as for the slow rollout of their IPTV solution, I think the reason for that is their new home media DVR (or whatever its called). Because that's basically what that is - IP distribution of video throughout your home network. I would like to see Verizon pick up the pace on this as well, but I can also see the point of putting it all together under a single architecture.

Greg2600

join:2008-05-20
Belleville, NJ
reply to jodhak

I've begun to consider that as well, the home media server concept is the wave of the future. However, we're talking far more equipment change-outs than MPEG-4 would need! Unfortunately I don't think it helps the QAM problem either.

What has annoyed me was the insider info we heard here that Verizon will not be moving ANY of the existing channels, which care delivered to VZ via MPEG-4, from MPEG 2 to 4. Completely stupid.

Betamax76

join:2008-10-16
Canonsburg, PA

1 recommendation

reply to JPL

Additional MPEG-2 compression is NOT being rejected. In the last year, all HBO and Cinemax HD channels have been transitioned from 2 channels per QAM to 3 channels per QAM using MPEG-2 encoding. In addition, the .TV HD channels have been switched from 2:1 to 3:1 MPEG-2 compression. And most recently, in order to make room for the temporary Olympic HD channels, BBC America HD, and the Spanish HD channels which require MPEG-4 Fios 7000 series boxes, Hallmark Movie Channel HD, QVC HD, MavTV HD and several others have been switched to 3:1 MPEG-2 statmuxing.

The initial batch of channels that were switched to 3:1 statmuxing such as HBO and Cinemax are sent as MPEG-4 from the provider and had to be re-encoded to MPEG-2 anyway. Reported MPEG-4 bit rates were on the order of 6 MB/sec. Placing only 2 of these channels on an MPEG-2 QAM carrier was wasteful. With more channels switching to an MPEG-4 delivery system, look for additional 3 to 1 MPEG-2 channel loading.

If half of the existing HD channels are switched from 2:1 to 3:1 statmuxing, this opens up another another 6 QAM slots, providing between 12 to 18 additional MPEG-2 HD channels. The key is to select the right channel for 3:1 MPEG-2 statmuxing. Shopping channels such as HSN and news channels tend to feature talking heads and less quick action scenes.

JPL
Premium
join:2007-04-04
Downingtown, PA
kudos:4
reply to Greg2600

said by Greg2600:

I've begun to consider that as well, the home media server concept is the wave of the future. However, we're talking far more equipment change-outs than MPEG-4 would need! Unfortunately I don't think it helps the QAM problem either.

What has annoyed me was the insider info we heard here that Verizon will not be moving ANY of the existing channels, which care delivered to VZ via MPEG-4, from MPEG 2 to 4. Completely stupid.

First, I agree with you - they should be considering the migration of existing channels to mpeg-4. I think the premiums would be ideal for this.

Second, on the home media server, let me expand on what I meant. I didn't mean to say that it would help the QAM problem. It clearly won't. It does seem pretty coincidental that they're dragging their feet on what they've talked about before with IP distribution at the same time that they're unveiling the home media server. Even if a swap-out of equipment will be necessary for that, though, I don't think it would be on par with the mpeg-4 conversion. For the mpeg-4 conversion of a channel, you're talking about swapping out boxes in every house that receives that channel. With the streaming option, while I think it'll be popular, I have to believe that only a small portion of the households have any desire, right now, to do it.

Even in my house, where I love the option to stream content, it's used fairly infrequently right now. I may stream a movie from Epix onto my laptop, e.g., but I can probably count on 2 hands the number of times I've done that in the last 2 years. All that being said, I think this is the architecture that everyone's been pushing to for a very long time. Glad to see that it's finally coming. Now I just have to convince my wife why we NEED to swap out our DVR... again .

Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
Premium,MVM
join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX
kudos:1
reply to bsangs

said by bsangs:

said by Mac973:

Good luck watching them. With signal loss every time it rains there is no way I would go back to satellite. I was at my uncle's house a couple weeks ago and a thunderstorm rolled in. They lost service for at least 15-20 minutes until the storm passed, and that was in the middle of a football game. No thanks.

I'm really starting to think it's a NJ thing. I know people that swear they never get signal loss from D*, yet the two times I've had it, the HD has been terribly effected by rain fade. I switched back to it for a short while last year (because I prefer pretty much everything about D* on the TV-side) after being led to believe it was a thing of the past. Took me less than two weeks to realize my mistake and went back to FiOS.

I believe the north east and north west parts of the country are on the fringes of the satellite footprints. Perhaps you are more susceptible to rain fade as a result?

I live in north central TX but I still got it bad when I had DTV years ago.
--
My Gallery
Formerly Nezmo

SoCalDude

join:2008-07-30
Ventura Co.
reply to jodhak

I just want Cartoon Network HD this month!

UnnDunn
Premium
join:2005-12-21
Brooklyn, NY
reply to Mac973

said by Mac973:

said by celticpride :

On top of that i just read an article where directv said they hope to carry ALL HD CHANNELS ONLY by 2016 NO MORE SD CHANNELS!!!

Good luck watching them. With signal loss every time it rains there is no way I would go back to satellite. I was at my uncle's house a couple weeks ago and a thunderstorm rolled in. They lost service for at least 15-20 minutes until the storm passed, and that was in the middle of a football game. No thanks.
[/BQUOTE

Then the dish was aimed improperly. Yes, DirecTV is susceptible to weather, but in West Orange, a properly-aimed dish should get good signal (assuming relatively calm winds) though all but the heaviest rainstorms.

KCrimson
Premium
join:2001-02-25
Brooklyn, NY

said by UnnDunn:

Then the dish was aimed improperly. Yes, DirecTV is susceptible to weather, but in West Orange, a properly-aimed dish should get good signal (assuming relatively calm winds) though all but the heaviest rainstorms.

Bad weather and sporting events often occur simultaneously, as do opportune times to watch TV - when you're indoors finding alternate entertainment due to those inclement conditions. Outages tend to be noticed. I know they were during the years when my family had a professionally installed and serviced DirecTV system.

Strommy

join:2010-04-23
King Of Prussia, PA
reply to UnnDunn

said by UnnDunn:

said by Mac973:

said by celticpride :

On top of that i just read an article where directv said they hope to carry ALL HD CHANNELS ONLY by 2016 NO MORE SD CHANNELS!!!

[/BQUOTE

We had the DISH people out at TWICE to correct the problem and they never did fix it. And of course they charged us for each visit. It was professionally installed and calibrated (aimed or whatever you want to call it) and the problem was only fixed by getting rid of them. I'll never ever go back.
--
Verizon is becoming the new Comcast

Those .tv channels have got to go!!!!!!!!!!

tnsprin

join:2003-07-23
Bradenton, FL
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to nottrue

"ESPN supplied Motorola DSR-6100 integrated receiver/decoders to eligible affiliates." FIOS may or may not been eligable, and may have chosen to use another solution (they had other channels to convert as well and using lots of different equipment costs. And it costs to install and operate them. The ongoing operating costs is not necessarily negligable.

Mahalo

join:2000-12-20
united state
reply to jodhak

The info I got is that 75 new channels are planned in 2013. Didn't get to see what they were or if HD or not. Will have to what 2013 brings.

skohly

join:2009-08-19
Township Of Washington, NJ

said by Mahalo:

The info I got is that 75 new channels are planned in 2013. Didn't get to see what they were or if HD or not. Will have to what 2013 brings.

ON FIOS?

Greg2600

Belleville, NJ
reply to Mahalo

said by Mahalo:

ROFL!!!!!

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA

said by Greg2600:

said by Mahalo:

ROFL!!!!!

WHy? They will probably be channels added to the international tier.

Mahalo

join:2000-12-20
united state
reply to skohly

Yes, FIOS.
Was on a slide presentation for the plans for FiOS in 2013. Not saying that it will happen, just was presenting what they want to get done.

Greg2600

Belleville, NJ
reply to aaronwt

said by aaronwt:

WHy? They will probably be channels added to the international tier.

I'm still laughing. Maybe they're considering VOD channels as channels?

knarf829

join:2007-06-02
reply to Mahalo

said by Mahalo:

LOL. Time to invest in a Rosetta Stone set.

miataman

join:2010-10-27
Chelmsford, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by knarf829:

LOL. Time to invest in a Rosetta Stone set.

No need to do so;
My understanding is that the Ouija Board is a multilingual device.
--
"My hat, my cane, Jeeves".

TitusTroy

join:2009-06-18
New York, NY
reply to Mahalo

said by Mahalo:

only way this happens is if FiOS removes 75 channels from the current lineup...no space for 75 new additions

chitchatjf

join:2008-07-13
Lawrence, MA
reply to jodhak

I say they have something up their sleeve.

JeepMatt
C'mon the U
Premium
join:2001-12-28
Wilmington, DE
kudos:3

1 recommendation

Unfortunately I think the goal was to add 100 channels in 2012 on last year's slide presentation...oh...ummmm....
--
"ONE team - ONE city - ONE dream!!"

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:30

Apparently management's bonuses are not tied to those goals.

nlk10010

join:2007-06-27
Great Neck, NY

1 edit
reply to JeepMatt

I'm afraid there's a distinction between "planning to" and "making people think you're planning to".

What's funny is that Verizon had to scale back even their hype.

tnsprin

join:2003-07-23
Bradenton, FL

You do know those counts of stations being added include all the local stations available in various areas of the country. Not sure how many they actually added but may be more than you think although probably much less than the stated goal.

Acct101
Premium
join:2011-09-20
Bensalem, PA
reply to jodhak

I guess we can get rid of our HD TV's as we don't seem to be getting anymore new channels other the SD.

Man, I get mailings from DirecTV and Comcast every week and it is getting enticing.

bcushman

join:2007-04-01
Warwick, RI

But, if I get rid of my HD TV how will I watch all the HD channels we already get???

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
reply to jodhak

It looks like they are starting to add Cartoon Network today. Someone posted that it is up on channel 757 in VHO5.

davidplatt

join:2003-02-13
Herndon, VA
reply to Acct101

said by Acct101:

I guess we can get rid of our HD TV's as we don't seem to be getting anymore new channels other the SD.

Man, I get mailings from DirecTV and Comcast every week and it is getting enticing.

You are kidding right? I had DirecTV for 16 years and FiOS Internet for the last 7 years and I just switched over to the Triple Play with Verizon.

I was paying DirecTV $157 a month for Choice Xtra Classic, HD ($10 a month), 4 DVRs ($6 each for 3 of them), DVR Fee ($8), Whole Home DVR ($3), HBO/Showtime/Starz ($37) and taxes. FiOS 30/5 service was $55 a month. Vonage was $36 a month. My monthly bill was $248.

I switched to Verizon Triple Play. Ultimate HD TV, HBO, Movie Completer, Multi Room DVR (free for 18 mo), HD Receiver (free for 18 mo), Cable Card (for the 4 tuner InfiniTV in my Home Theatre PC) and 1/2 off HBO and the Movie package for a year. Also 35/35 internet and Freedom Essentials phone. $139 a month plus taxes of about $20.

I then found out that for $20 a month I could upgrade to 75/35 internet and switch to FiOS Digital Voice. With the lower taxes it ends up netting out at $13.50 a month more. So the total bill will be about $170 per month.

So my savings is almost $50 a month with better service (DV is certainly better than Vonage and 75/35 internet is certainly better than 30/5 internet).

And with DirecTV I had outages several times a month due to weather. Now I don't have to deal with the weather issues with DirecTV. I also don't have to deal with the crappy DVR response speeds that I had with DirecTV. No more waiting for a guide to display a full 3 to 4 minutes.

And Verizon has more HD channels overall than DirecTV. Their advertising is just as deceptive as all of the cable companies. 40 regional sports networks in HD that I don't subscribe to and that would give me no benefit is not a watchable channel. Any major league sports shown on those channels is blacked out so their is virtually no value add.

Yes, there a some of the multi-channel movie channels that are in SD on FiOS that are HD on DirecTV (a couple of the Showtimes) but there are also channels in HD on Verizon that don't exist on DirecTV. And FiOS carries the sub channels on local channels - DirecTV doesn't without an over the air tuner and antenna. And I get Cinemax included in Ultimate HD (which I didn't have on DirecTV).

I wouldn't switch back after a week with the FiOS triple play. If you have heavy rain or thunderstorms where you live and get DirecTV, expect a lot of outages.

Greg2600

Belleville, NJ
reply to jodhak

I think the recent additions finally of BBC America and Cartoon Network in HD prove that the lack of HD channels is a space issue. As soon as they got space for the Olympics, they were able to allocate it to those channels.

dcowboy

join:2012-05-10

I can see that.