Click for full size
just noticed a cox speed increase in RI i am on the ultimate tier

lilstone87

join:2009-04-09
Portsmouth, VA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

Yeah codydog See Profile mention this already in his thread. »[RI] Anybody notice slightly higher speeds today?
Still no exact word on what the exact increase is, as a speedtest result doesn't show an exact number. Running a program called ShaperProbe is good at giving you a number after powerboost.

betterdan

join:2002-03-20
Portsmouth, VA

You can also try »testmy.net for more accurate results

Shadowdane

join:2000-11-02
Fairfax, VA

Yah I'm on the Premier Package (25/3.5) and seeing higher speeds here. Seems to be 35/6.5 I'm getting now!

ShaperProbe
Estimating capacity:
Upstream: 23464 Kbps.
Downstream: 40098 Kbps.

Checking for traffic shapers:
Upstream: Burst size: 4194-5762 KB;
Shaping rate: 6493 Kbps.
Downstream: Burst size: 16949-18252 KB;
Shaping rate: 34897 Kbps.

ikyuaoki

join:2011-04-12
Wichita, KS
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

~here's my shaperprobe stats~

Estimating capacity:
Upstream: 5787 Kbps.
Downstream: greater than 100 Mbps.

The measurement will take upto 2.5 minutes. Please wait.

Upstream: Burst size: 3142-3189 KB;
Shaping rate: 4442 Kbps.

Downstream: Burst size: 10064-12777 KB;
Shaping rate: 53872 Kbps.

ajwees41
Premium
join:2002-05-10
Omaha, NE
reply to corey389

Cox doesn't have an Extreme Teir highest is ultimate.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
kudos:2
reply to corey389

Holy crap!

digiblur
Premium
join:2002-06-03
Louisiana

said by skeechan:

Holy crap!

That's what I would say if I saw my bill with extreme on it

Rob_
Premium
join:2008-07-16
Mary Esther, FL
kudos:1

Hasn't hit here yet

When will this be across the Cox network, not just RI?

-Rob

lilstone87

Portsmouth, VA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

Well Rob_ See Profile this is something very new, and something cox hasn't even announced yet. So you can't even get anyone from cox to comment on this, as it will only be a topic they will discuss once cox makes an official announcement. Which seems like at least for the cox RI market, ultimate has went from 50/5-8 to 100/20. I can see this expanding to more markets with upstream bonding in place, as it will be needed for the 20mbps upstream.

Rob_
Premium
Mary Esther, FL

I hope they will increase the caps.

lilstone87

Portsmouth, VA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

said by Rob_:

I hope they will increase the caps.

Well if ultimate ends up becoming a 100mbps down and around 20mbps up tier. I can see there being adjustments to caps, but don't expect immediately changes, if/when cox starts to increase the ultimate speeds in all there markets. Which it looks like the RI market ultimate tier is a legit 100/20. I also think this change, is the one that there was a thread, and a couple users on here discussing not to long back. Not Cox recently announced in the LA market the two new 80, and 100mbps business tiers.

I wonder with this most likely change happening to there ultimate tier, what kind of changes are they gonna make to there premier tier. As there would be a big gap from 25-30mbps premier tier, and ultimate 100mbps tier. Makes me think if there gonna kind of follow comcast recent changes to there top two tiers. What I mean by that is there like 25/4 tier went to 50/10, and there 50/10 tier went to 105/20.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Rob_

Cox rolled out HSI here in Orange County as one of the very first markets in late 1997ish but we seem to be the last ones to get the speed increases. We're still on triple bonding down and no bonding up while many others are doing 4 or more channels.

bryant313

join:2011-05-24
Las Vegas, NV

here in Las Vegas we are on 8 down stream channels and 1 up stream channel and i believe that not all of Vegas is 8 downstream yet

i know that like maybe one part of Vegas has 64QAM on the upstream but that is it

ikyuaoki

join:2011-04-12
Wichita, KS
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to corey389

Click for full size
getting 100Mbits now. wow!
additional picture info what i am getting at.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170

Rolling out quickly. Sugoi!

lilstone87

Portsmouth, VA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

said by skeechan:

Rolling out quickly. Sugoi!

I dunno about that, as he posted a shaperprobe result on the 28th showing he was getting 53/4 in this thread. Now showing a 125/8 speedtest result, would be nice to show some results with a more legit way of testing speed. Like shaperprobe, and/or testmy.net downloading/uploading of larger test files. I still see this reaching other markets with residential ultimate tier internet offered, but only time will tell on how long. I would expect cox to make some kind of an announcement regarding this, some time this month. If this is indeed a speed increase, they plan on pushing across all market's that offer ultimate.

andrewlef

join:2012-03-30
Providence, RI

Here's my shaperprobe results:

Estimating capacity:
Upstream: 23149 Kbps.
Downstream: greater than 200 Mbps.

The measurement will last for about 2.5 minutes. Please wait.

Upstream: Measurement aborted due to high packet loss rate.

Downstream: Burst size: 14257-14694 KB; Shaping rate: 106437 Kbps.

Not sure what the deal with the shaperprobe upstream results is, but these results are consistent with what I get on download speeds. When fully saturated, my dl is a steady 12MB/sec, bursting to 15MB/sec (and higher). UL is a steady 2.5-3MB /sec, bursting to 4MB/sec.

lilstone87

Portsmouth, VA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

Well shaperprobe can be funny depending on the server it test from. As every time you test, or retest shaperprobe test from a different server then the previous test. So sometimes it may be worth running a couple test to see if the upload or download side completes. As I see that happen at times due to the server it is testing from. From what I see, it looks like your now provisioned at 105/20.

andrewlef

join:2012-03-30
Providence, RI

said by lilstone87:

Well shaperprobe can be funny depending on the server it test from. As every time you test, or retest shaperprobe test from a different server then the previous test. So sometimes it may be worth running a couple test to see if the upload or download side completes. As I see that happen at times due to the server it is testing from. From what I see, it looks like your now provisioned at 105/20.

Yeah, that sounds about right. There seems to be quite a bit of fluff.

Rob_
Premium
Mary Esther, FL

Why the hell is this just in RI? Damn you verizon for not offering FIOS on a nationwide basis..

Rob

lilstone87

Portsmouth, VA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

said by Rob_:

Why the hell is this just in RI? Damn you verizon for not offering FIOS on a nationwide basis..

Rob

You mad bro? :P Anyways I am sure this will probably spread to other markets in the near future. But just like with any of the upgrades, they have to start somewhere with them, and it appears RI market was the starting point for this. It will be nice once cox makes some kind of an announcement regarding this, as it will give everyone wondering a good ideal with what there intentions are.

Rob_
Premium
Mary Esther, FL

I just feel like were dead last on everything down here.. maybe we can get lucky!!

-Rob

lilstone87

Portsmouth, VA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

said by Rob_:

I just feel like were dead last on everything down here.. maybe we can get lucky!!

-Rob

Well Rob_ See Profile, Most the time when upgrades are first done. They try, and pick a smaller area to test it on. So if problem's occur, it only affects a smaller number of people. We really don't know what's going on with the RI ultimate upgrades, except there was a speed upgrade. But if it is something cox plans to expand to other markets offering ultimate, it's something they first wanna do a good bit of testing on how the network holds up with these changes.

I want a speed upgrade as much as anyone, and feel ultimate does lack a bit for the monthly cost, and speed provided. That's with me paying $90 a month for ultimate, as I am on a 2 year contract for ultimate for $90 a month. Once it's up cox better be able to offer price around same or lower. Because there is no way I will pay the regular set price of $110 a month for 50/5, just not worth it at this point.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4
reply to Rob_

Why do you say that everytime theres a speed boost?
caps are set to where its a break even point with cord cutters.
--
Despises any post with strings.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4
reply to lilstone87

said by lilstone87:

said by Rob_:

You mad bro? :P Anyways I am sure this will probably spread to other markets in the near future. But just like with any of the upgrades, they have to start somewhere with them, and it appears RI market was the starting point for this. It will be nice once cox makes some kind of an announcement regarding this, as it will give everyone wondering a good ideal with what there intentions are.

Trust me. it won't roll where the best competition is centurystink.
--
Despises any post with strings.

Cynagen

join:2010-02-02
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536, all the locations that have gotten the 100mbit roll-outs so far are test beds, and locations with higher speed access available from a competitor.

In Rhode Island (Reminder: Test bed), they always seem to get upgrades earlier than most markets, this is because they have FIOS to compete with. I would expect Kansas to get upgrades because of Google Fiber, test bed or not. I do know that as living in the Phoenix test bed, I will at least see 100mbit before the rest of the country does. We got 50mbit after SD but not much longer after they did, and they got it after the east coast test beds did. We're completely turned on now for the 50mbit plan, 8 down bonded, 4 up bonded, now we're just waiting for the throttle to be kicked open a bit, but we'll definitely be last because Centurystink (formerly Qwerst) BARELY catches up over a year after the speed increases to Cox. They only turn us up to keep market dominance here, but that also means we'll still get it sooner than later.