spc
Search similar:

uniqs
ansky
join:2009-05-18
West Orange, NJ

ansky

Record premium channel to VHS?

Is it possible to record a show from Showtime onto a VHS tape, or is that copy protected?
billhere
join:2011-10-21
Santa Monica, CA

billhere

Composite output might work. Why not give it a try? With VOD around I'm not sure why I'd want to put a Showtime program on a VHS tape in the first place.

jjoshua
Premium Member
join:2001-06-01
Scotch Plains, NJ

jjoshua to ansky

Premium Member

to ansky
Copy protection only works with HDMI connections.
zippoboy7
join:2006-06-18
USA

zippoboy7

said by jjoshua:

Not true, have you ever tried to dub a DVD to a VHS using component or composite cables? You will find that the content recorded will mostly be a solid Blue screen with a few screens here and there. This may not be true on all VHS decks but any of the more recent ones (before they went extinct) will see the copy protection and block the video out. I haven't had any reason to break out my old VHS deck and try it but I would suspect the same things would be true if you try it from a DVR.
blue_trooper
join:2007-04-17
Exton, PA

blue_trooper

said by zippoboy7:

I haven't had any reason to break out my old VHS deck and try it but I would suspect the same things would be true if you try it from a DVR.

It's not.

Composite or S-Video should work fine. I don't think I've ever seen a VHS machine with component inputs.

I copy Dexter all the time for friends at work using my VHS/DVD burner machine although I'm copying to DVD nowadays. Haven't touched a VHS in years.

bohratom
My Jersey Giants finally winning again..
join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ

bohratom to zippoboy7

to zippoboy7
said by zippoboy7:

Not true, have you ever tried to dub a DVD to a VHS using component or composite cables? You will find that the content recorded will mostly be a solid Blue screen with a few screens here and there. This may not be true on all VHS decks but any of the more recent ones (before they went extinct) will see the copy protection and block the video out. I haven't had any reason to break out my old VHS deck and try it but I would suspect the same things would be true if you try it from a DVR.

That copy protection was macrovision and it will not have any impact regarding this situtation. Running a composite cable from the DVR to the VHS will be fine as FIOS DVR's to not implement macrovision.
ansky
join:2009-05-18
West Orange, NJ

ansky to blue_trooper

to blue_trooper
said by blue_trooper:

I copy Dexter all the time for friends at work using my VHS/DVD burner machine although I'm copying to DVD nowadays. Haven't touched a VHS in years.

I'm recording Homeland for a friend. I assumed recording to DVD wouldn't work. My friend has Comcast and tried to record HBO onto a DVD and it wouldn't work (that was using a composite connection since he doesn't even have an HD tv). Maybe Comcast receivers are different.
PJL
join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA

1 edit

PJL to zippoboy7

to zippoboy7
said by zippoboy7:

said by jjoshua:

The effects of copy pretection of which you speak come from the DVD media itself, not either the cable type or the VHS recorder. FiOS content does not use the same scheme as a DVD but rather uses copy flags similar to a Bluray disk, and the flags are only passed over the HDMI connection as jjoshua and bohratom pointed out.
blue_trooper
join:2007-04-17
Exton, PA

blue_trooper to ansky

to ansky
said by ansky:

I assumed recording to DVD wouldn't work. My friend has Comcast and tried to record HBO onto a DVD and it wouldn't work (that was using a composite connection since he doesn't even have an HD tv). Maybe Comcast receivers are different.

Comcast Moto boxes are almost identical to the FIOS boxes other than the MOCA capability. It works fine for me using the S-Video out and stereo audio cables into a Lite-On VHS/DVD recorder.

Andy from CA
Premium Member
join:2008-09-05
Anaheim, CA

Andy from CA to billhere

Premium Member

to billhere
said by billhere:

Composite output might work. Why not give it a try? With VOD around I'm not sure why I'd want to put a Showtime program on a VHS tape in the first place.

During the free previews you can tape premium channels to watch later. VOD makes it even easier taping movies & stuff for your archives.

Yea, I know it sounds cheap, but my last day of work was 6/2008. Oh, and I have SVHS (well, JVC's Super VHS ET).
tnsprin
join:2003-07-23
Bradenton, FL

tnsprin to zippoboy7

to zippoboy7
HDMI and Component support forms of copy protected. The HDMi will definitely block. Component should also be blocked, but not all units ever implemented that protection. Composite and svhs may have macrovision old style protections, which some recorders handle better than others.
navyson
join:2011-07-15
Upper Marlboro, MD

navyson to ansky

to ansky
If you have a DVR, can't you just record it on the DVR and then hook up your DVR to you DVD recorder to record it on a DVD.