join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS

The Internetz isn't the key to economic growth

Letting people keep more of the money they earn is the key to economic growth.

If fast Internet were the key, France and the United States would have far higher per capita GDP numbers than the US does...and we blow them out of the water despite our highly diversified and somewhat lazy entitlement minded population.

We trounce France in GDP growth as well and are beaten by Japan only because of the post Tsunami reconstruction (they were put back in recession in 2011).

So where is the ECONOMIC benefit of having 45Mb internet over 5Mb internet? The money spent on this stuff says in the US to consumers spending it elsewhere doesn't do anything (except keeping those dollars from going to China or the Middle East for lead based toys and oil). Verizon pays dividends to evil investors like pensioners and old people.

If we are concerned about the cost of things, it would be way more advantageous to "invest" in refining capacity to cut the price of gasoline in 1/2 or end the stupid ethanol subsidies which bring food and feed corn prices down.

I'd love to have my 50Mb service for $30 instead of $100 but I'd rather have cheaper Pringles.
Sukunai
Premium
join:2008-05-07
kudos:1
Reviews:
·ELECTRONICBOX

Re: The Internetz isn't the key to economic growth

Faster speeds and greater data sums to me means watching Netflix and maybe even more than just Netflix actually.

It means a boon to the gaming industry.

I think the foot dragging is because people like Netflix are seen as competition.

It was said well when it was mentioned, there is nothing in it for them. There is plenty in it for me though.

espaeth
Digital Plumber
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-21
Minneapolis, MN

1 recommendation

said by Sukunai:

Faster speeds and greater data sums to me means watching Netflix and maybe even more than just Netflix actually.

How exactly does people sitting around watching video on Netflix boost GDP?

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170

1 recommendation

You can play games and watch Netflix with 5Mb.
Wilsdom

join:2009-08-06
Burden is on you to show how better internet lowers GDP. And if you want cheaper Pringles buy some potatoes and a mandolin...and only work for gold.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS

The burden is on those who want others to spend money on deployment. My point is where is the proof that faster speeds leads to economic growth. That was the claim yet I see no correlation there, in the case of the two cited countries, Japan and France, I see the opposite. Maybe if they had slower internet they would get out and do something productive
big_e

join:2011-03-05

1 edit
Luddite thinking through computing history....

Who needs a PC, my secretary can type everything for me.
640K ought to be enough for anyone.
Windowed operating system!?! Wordperfect 5.1 and Lotus 123 is all I need.
Cell phone? Ordinary people will never afford those. Pagers are perfectly adequate.
Who needs the web or email, my fax machine works just fine.
What kind of idiot buys things online. Your credit card will just get stolen. Shop at your local Borders, Kmart, Sears, or Circuit city.
I hate my new digital cellphone, analog was better. Why would anyone want to send someone a text message?
There is no money to be made in online ads or web search engines.
Windows XP! First WinME, now this piece of garbage.
Only internet addicted nerds need a broadband connection. I'll stick with AOL.
Itunes? When I want to buy music, I go to Sam Goody or Tower Records.
Blackberry? Why would I want email on my phone?
I don't get this netflix thing. I go to blockbuster or hollywood video.
Why would anyone want to watch streaming TV/movies on their computer?
Iphone? I'm perfectly happy with my Blackberry.
Tablets will never catch on.
Who needs fiber optic internet? 5 mb is fast enough.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170

1 recommendation

Re: The progression of technology according to luddites.

Thanks for the non-sequitur. Now show us how 45Mb contributes to GDP growth over 5Mb. I've shown how it doesn't using the example countries provided in this news item.

n1581j

@wildblue.net

You are missing the point. A vast number of people in the US DON'T even have the benefit of 5Mb. The US in comparison to the 14 countries I visit and work every year slows my output taking 2 days to do something I can do in less than 1 anywhere else. It costs me money in time wasted and you sir couldn't afford my hourly rates

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit

Then that should be the discussion, not comparing us to Korea, Japan or France.

The question of "fiber" penetration is irrelevant and while these super speeds are available in Korea and Japan, they're not available in rural areas just like ultra fast speeds aren't available in our rural areas.
Sukunai
Premium
join:2008-05-07
kudos:1
Reviews:
·ELECTRONICBOX
New business is new business.

Anything that creates new business = cash flow.

Anything that impacts all business = noticable effect.

Anything that improves all of the above is going to make all of the above better at doing what it does.

How many people do YOU know that do NOT have broadband?
How many of them seem to really need it?

I never thought I would need anything connected with owning a computer once. I was once an old stick in the mud. Now I am merely old.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS

That isn't the argument being made. The claim is fiber and cheap Internetz is needed for economic growth when in fact there is no correlation shown between fiber and economic growth using the very countries they cite.

Despite higher prices and slower service here we have much higher per capita GDP and even with our crap economy have higher GDP growth (discounting post tsunami construction).

Sure, I'd love to have 1Gb Internet for free, but again, what we want or would like to have isn't the debate.