Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

Thane_Bitter to Anav

Premium Member

to Anav

Re: Angry NHL Fans

said by Anav:

... the nostalgic look back at the good ole days when teams were teams and hockey players drank like fish and smoked like chimney stacks.

...and the ice was white, the boards free of ads, and tickets didn't cost an arm and a leg.

For HiVolt's sake, roll back the clock far enough and you would be right when the Leafs last one the cup.

This lockout is good for business, the NHL saw a 30% increase in revenue after the last one, undoubtedly this new lockout-profit pump strategy will be employed so that games are played once every four years, to allow for ample time of new team relocation, arena construction, new jersey design and trolling for public funding.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

said by Thane_Bitter:

said by Anav:

... the nostalgic look back at the good ole days when teams were teams and hockey players drank like fish and smoked like chimney stacks.

...and the ice was white, the boards free of ads, and tickets didn't cost an arm and a leg.

But at the same time the players weren't making a shiny nickel in comparison to what they make today. Most of them had real jobs in the off season (which wasn't just July and August).

It's greed, bottom line, on both parts, it used to be best of 3, then 5 and now they've extended to 7 for the each play off round. Nor did half the league qualify for the playoffs.

I really like how the NFL works, 16 games, 2 divisional rounds,the conference and the Superbowl 20 games tops for a team going to the Superbowl a season that lasts from September to February (and only because the networks want it for sweeps).Unlike Hockey where the potential is to play 112 games (assuming each round goes to 7 games0 to win the Stanley cup.

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium Member
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS

Anav

Premium Member

What I think is best for the kids, in this country anyway - (what they do in the meat factory of US sports $$$$$ is not healthy) is that no hockey player should be permitted in the NHL until the age of 22. That way more kids would go to colleges and University.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

said by Anav:

What I think is best for the kids, in this country anyway - (what they do in the meat factory of US sports $$$$$ is not healthy) is that no hockey player should be permitted in the NHL until the age of 22. That way more kids would go to colleges and University.

Two side of that, just because a kid is gifted athletically, doesn't mean he(or she0 is the brightest pea in the pod. If it wasn't for sports that kid might be working some minimum wage job in a "Right to work state" where they'll never get ahead.

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium Member
join:2005-03-12

Wolfie00 to elwoodblues

Premium Member

to elwoodblues
I agree -- the playoffs are a ridiculously stretched cash grab. You know there's a problem when more than half the league qualifies, and you know there's a problem when the playoffs are still going on as you pack up your swim gear and drive to the beach!
vue666 (banned)
Let's make Canchat better!!!
join:2007-12-07

vue666 (banned)

said by Wolfie00:

I agree -- the playoffs are a ridiculously stretched cash grab. You know there's a problem when more than half the league qualifies, and you know there's a problem when the playoffs are still going on as you pack up your swim gear and drive to the beach!

This has been the norm for the NHL for a long time. In the original 6 days only 2 teams were eliminated after a 50-74 game schedule... The NHL has always considered it more of a tournament then a playoff...