share rss forum feed

techguyga
Premium
join:2003-12-31
Buford, GA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

[Exchange] RANT/Question - Disabling email access

So first of all, let me preface this with my rant... Our company has recently named a new CEO. As part of his first changes, he has decided that for 3 days, no one internally should be able to email each other. We should still be able to send/receive to/from the internet, just not to/from other internal employees. He says that if we need to talk to each other, we should pick up the phone and call.

Have you guys ever heard of such BS? He thinks that will promote a more "personal and collaborative atmosphere". WTF??? We are a global company, and many of the engineers that I deal with are on the other side of the world...I can't simply call them...they are asleep. Oh, and what happens when I need them to send me a running config off their router? Or what if I need a proposal from a vendor signed by my boss in the UK? Or what happens to all the alerts that are sent by Orion NPM or any of the other dozen applications that are tied to Exchange? Utter horse shit.

Ok, so I'm guessing that a transport rule is the way to go? Reject mail from anyone on our GAL except if sent/received externally and with a custom NDR? Any other suggestions or points I may have missed?
--
My hourly rates:
$35 per hour.
$45 per hour if you want to watch.
$55 per hour if you want to help.
$100 per hour if you already tried to fix it.

lorennerol
Premium
join:2003-10-29
Seattle, WA
Just forward all internal email to the new CEO so he can personally review it for 'personal and collaborative atmosphere".

Seriously though, I see what he wants to do and I frequently suggest to clients that it's often better to make a phone call or walk down the hall and talk to a person, but this is an extreme measure to accomplish that.

techguyga
Premium
Buford, GA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
Yes, I get the idea too, and I appreciate his spirit. I just can't agree with taking a global technology company and throwing them into the dark ages for 3 days.

Oh well, we do what the boss man tells us. Will be fun to see the reactions of everyone.

WireHead
I drive to fast
Premium
join:2001-05-09
Muncie, IN
reply to techguyga
What a crazy request.. to configure the systems to temporarily operate this way!

IDK what version of Exchange your using but I agree, this sounds like a custom transport hub rule.
--
Retired BBR Team Starfire Team Q III Host
Live by chance. Love by choice. Kill by profession.

psafux
Premium,VIP
join:2005-11-10
kudos:2
reply to techguyga
Just a friendly thought to consider. Do with it what you will This internet space is public. Anyone could stumble across it intentionally or otherwise.

The information in your original post is specific enough that it could lead to some untimely job searching at the hands of a critical & unappreciative management team.

If you hold some clout in the company I might suggest appealing to his logical senses with some factual data illustrating why the decision is not in the best interest of business operations, productivity, sales, and those other concerns you mentioned originally.

Good luck.

IamGimli

join:2004-02-28
Canada
kudos:2
reply to techguyga
Start with one day of the CEO and his AA/EA not being able to email each other. Pick a day he's on the road. Make sure you got your next job lined up

You could setup a filter on your internal SMTP server to reject any @yourcompany.com destination.

techguyga
Premium
Buford, GA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to psafux
Not so much worried about this being a public forum. I've not said anything here that I haven't said in person to anyone. And I never refused to do my job, just voiced my opinion.

I have enough pull in the company to get most things that I need, but the CEO is insistent on this one. I've spoken with my boss, the CIO, and we're going ahead with the request.

Funny thing is, I was talking to the CIO about all the exceptions that I planned to make...systems for alerts, systems that relay off Exchange, ERP systems, etc...and he said "no exceptions, if he [CEO] wants to do this, then we're doing it with no exceptions." Awesome! I expect the 3-day lockout turn into about 30 minutes.
--
My hourly rates:
$35 per hour.

techguyga
Premium
Buford, GA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to IamGimli
That would reject inbound internet mail.

The purpose of this exercise is to restrict internal-to-internal communications with no affect on external communications.

I've already written the transport rule (Exchange 2010, btw) to restrict anyone on the GAL from being able to email anyone else on the GAL, and added an exception for email to/from the internet to be excluded. I've created custom text/NDR to be delivered, so we should be okay.

Like I said, this will be fun.
--
My hourly rates:
$35 per hour.

DataDoc
My avatar looks like me, if I was 2D.
Premium
join:2000-05-14
Martinsburg, WV
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Suddenlink
reply to techguyga
said by techguyga:

... Funny thing is, I was talking to the CIO about all the exceptions that I planned to make...systems for alerts, systems that relay off Exchange, ERP systems, etc...and he said "no exceptions, if he [CEO] wants to do this, then we're doing it with no exceptions." Awesome! I expect the 3-day lockout turn into about 30 minutes.

Let us know how that works out for him.
--
Romney spoke too soon? Obama criticized President Bush in 2007 immediately following the killing of a U.S. diplomatic officer in Iraq. I guess that just contributed to a robust foreign policy debate.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium
join:2002-09-10
canada
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to techguyga
This would never fly in my company, there are too many dumb-asses that require connect-the-dots type of communications to get anything done. CYA by way of email is a must.
--
~ Project Hope ~

techguyga
Premium
Buford, GA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to techguyga
Forgot to come back and post an update to this, but the original plan to have a 3-day blackout was "postponed". It was then decided to have a 24-hour blackout instead, and a few small exceptions added so that IT could get alerts, etc. Still, virtually all internal email between employees was blacked out.

We started the blackout at 8pm EST (we have offices globally, so some offices in our APAC region were affected at 10am) and returned things to normal at 10pm EST the next night.

The observation that I made in my office was that most everyone just took it as an off-day and "worked from home". Those that were in the office just sat around twiddling their thumbs. I think the general consensus from my colleagues was the same in other offices. I even checked our phone reporting and saw a decline in call volume, instead of the expected increase.

All in all, I hope this exercise doesn't happen again...I don't think it did anything to promote increased collaboration.
--
My hourly rates:
$35 per hour.