uniqs
share rss forum feed

treichhart

join:2006-12-12

Goodbye Of trying using Whitespaces for WISP's

Hey Guys
I dont know if you guys seen this or not:
»news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-57522 ··· ireless/

But I think all the mobile carriers will buy all whitespaces before we even get to touch the whitespace area.

raytaylor

join:2009-07-28
kudos:1
I dont see that as a problem - if the buyers were to have a "Use it or loose it, with priority" rule, they may have a statewide licence for a particular frequency, but if they are not using it, the FCC whitespace database will offer it to unlicenced devices that WISP's use.

I remember reading somewhere that the FCC had a database that the whitespace AP's needed to check as well as doing a listen before transmit function.

If they were to put up a cellphone tower that used a frequency the WISP had been using, the FCC database would be updated and your tv whitespace AP would then change channel to another unused one.

Correct me if i am wrong about the FCC database

What I do see as an issue, is that the buyers dont know what bands they are buying in.

It makes no point to a WISP who uses devices that use 600mhz and then finding out they were bidding on a 400mhz block.

wirelessdog

join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD
reply to treichhart
There are already devices certified for production use in Whitespace. The main problem we will have are height and power limitations. Whitespce will certainly not be the end all to problems.

The title of this thread is very misleading IMHO

treichhart

join:2006-12-12
reply to treichhart
Why you think the title is misleading? I forgot to place a ? at the end of the title there wirelessdog?

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

1 recommendation

Maybe because it is totally wrong and there is nothing in your link to back up your unsubstantiated claim?