share rss forum feed

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:26
reply to travisc

Re: TekSavvy - glorified reseller, not ISP

I think you're trying to simplify things so it fits nicely into a sentence or two. Its no more broken now then it has ever been. I'd even say that it's the opposite and the big difference is that people are more aware. These discussions are important.

Let's be clear. *nobody* will build a third network. It's not a matter of somebody being able to afford it, it's because building a third network means you have to compete for one third of the market but you have to build for all of it. Even in the states where there's ten times the population, it doesn't exist.

This is why the CRTC has to mandate access to their networks. Getting the incumbents to play nice is not an option. it's a must. We need to get everybody saying the same thing and I guarantee you it will change. We all witnessed it with UBB.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

UK_Dave

join:2011-01-27
Powassan, ON
kudos:2
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Bell Sympatico

1 recommendation

Aye.

British Telecom had the same power in the UK. A rival infrastructure was impossible.

In the end, they were forcibly seperated from their infrastructure.

The National Infrastructure is managed seperately now (still a private company), and they "charge out" that infrastructure to the multiple ISP's who wish to provide service over it, using whatever differentiation they wish to market to customers.

I'm not privvy to anything special information-wise, but I've been talking to Vic Fidelli (great guy, Provincial MP up here) about this issue for years... and he's very much in favour I believe.

Cheers,
Dave

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

Unfortunately telecommunications is a federal responsibility, and until Harper is gone, nothing is going to change.

UK_Dave

join:2011-01-27
Powassan, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Bell Sympatico

Right, I see.

We didn't have that issue of course, not having the provincial/federal distinction.

It was the Conservatives who did it in the UK. They did it to introduce the free market into telecom service delivery. It's all still private company operated, just without the monopoly.

It was a huge improvement over the previous years, where it was a National utility.