how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

andrewlef

join:2012-03-30
Providence, RI

100mbps+ at home!

I have Cox's Ultimate internet, which usually gives me 60/10 mbps. So, I got home today and started downloading some files. I noticed something strange, my download speeds were consistently a sustained 12MB/sec, peaking at 15 MB/sec (this is definitely not PowerBoost). I was getting these speeds on 1GB+ files for the entire duration of the download. I'm even getting sustained UL speeds of ~3MB/sec!

I thought something must be out of wack, so I checked speedtest.net. Lo and behold, I tested at 113/27!

Has this happened to anyone else? I was so giddy when I saw this I was hoping it was a speed bump, but the Cox website makes no mention of a speed increase. Needless to say, I hope the speed stays!

bryant313

join:2011-05-24
Las Vegas, NV

yep their is another thread on here

»cox speed bump

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4
reply to andrewlef

Just out of curiousity i tested. got 31/21 so i test uploaded a file to youtube[400mb file]. started out fast around the 20mbit mark and settled to the usual 4.7mbps rate.

if it sustained through the whole gig you're either on "permaboost" or the file was cached by the isp.
--
Despises any post with strings.

bryant313

join:2011-05-24
Las Vegas, NV

in Rhode Island these speeds are official

»ww2.cox.com/residential/rhodeisl···ult_0329

lilstone87

join:2009-04-09
Portsmouth, VA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

said by bryant313:

in Rhode Island these speeds are official

»ww2.cox.com/residential/rhodeisl···ult_0329

Expect this soon to follow with Northern Virginia. As last thursday night a user on here posted, about seeing his ultimate go to 100/20. Here is the link to that thread »[VA] Speed Increases in Northern Virginia!

jayde

join:2012-06-10
reply to andrewlef

This change appears to be live in Nebraska too

I kind of had a feeling they were messing with speeds when I was getting this consistently

thecybernerd
Premium
join:2007-01-05
Great Falls, VA
reply to andrewlef

Still going strong in Northern Virginia!

lilstone87

Portsmouth, VA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to jayde

I always recommend testing speeds via real downloads from trusted servers that can max your connection. Because cable isp's are known for using powerboost feature, which poisons speedtest results. A program called shaperprobe is good for showing speeds with, and without powerboost.

kv2009

join:2009-09-14
Kenner, LA
reply to andrewlef

Ugh, I was so happy when we were bonding upstream channels here around New Orleans, then Cox turned it off in my area. I guess we're back to the last ones getting these official speed bumps.

lilstone87

Portsmouth, VA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

ShaperProbe Results
Click for full size
Verizon Speedtest Results
Well I decided to reset my Motorola SB6180 to factory defaults just a little while ago, and after a reboot. I am know getting 100/20 on ultimate here in the Hampton Roads market of virginia. Here is a couple screenshots of test I ran, after setting QoS on my router at 100/20.

sniperboyz

join:2009-10-30
Portsmouth, VA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

Mine bumped up to 40/4 (not sure but its exactly 38-39 Mbps)

I surprised that Cox finally made it at 100 Mbps / 20 Mbps! It's been while but I'm sure Cox made it lately.

I will bump it later. I'm really in tighten with bills though.

»speedtest.net/result/2293226286.png