All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
hudiat
join:2011-10-13

hudiat to Just_Dan

to Just_Dan

Re: Modem not working right

Do you at least that I am not getting channel bonding?

»imgur.com/Fm6sL

Just_Dan
Premium Member
join:2011-03-24
Denver, CO

Just_Dan

Premium Member

I see that your modem is not bonded, but I do see other modems in your area bonded just fine. I'm not sure why yours isn't bonding. Every other DOCSIS 3.0 modem is bonding the available 6x2 channels.

13/4-2/5 5 6x2 Operational 3.0 5631/ 53M 1 xxxx.xxxx.296c
13/4-2/5 5 6x2 Operational 3.0 1305/2333 1 xxxx.xxxx.c9ba
13/4-2/5 5 6x2 Operational 3.0 5631/ 53M 1 xxxx.xxxx.cba6
13/4-2/5 5 6x2 Operational 3.0 1305/2333 4 xxxx.xxxx.ec91
13/4-2/5 5 6x2 Operational 3.0 1305/2333 5 xxxx.xxxx.6011
13/4-2/5 5 Operational 3.0 3486/ 32M 1 xxxx.xxxx.ca23
13/4-2/7 5 6x2 Operational 3.0 1305/2333 1 xxxx.xxxx.c8d0
13/4-2/7 5 6x2 Operational 3.0 2333/ 16M 4 xxxx.xxxx.67a1

I even tried changing your modem to the 50/5 speed package, and it still would not bond channels. I'm not sure what's going on with it. I can't see the logs since it's not our modem, maybe if you look at the logs you'll find something.
hudiat

hudiat

Only thing in the logs that stands out is "MDD message timeout;CM-MAC=xxxxxxx;CMTS-MAC=xxxxxxxxx;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0"

don't recall seeing that before. Everything else just modem reboots (all from GUI or power loss, none from service loss) and the infrequent T3 timeout. I even did a reset all defaults and same thing.

I blurred out those MAC because I wasn't sure if it was ok to just post them publicly.
hudiat

hudiat

In addition the past day I have been getting my 30 down, but upload is still maxing around 1.75-2. Ping times are I guess OK, but noticeably higher in gaming. So while my connection is performing acceptably and pretty close to what it was, it still isn't ideal.
hudiat

hudiat

The more I gamed yesterday the more noticeable the lag was. I tried moving my modem to a different connection inside, same issue. I then unhooked all splitters and hooked the main line directly to modem. Same issue.

Dan, is this even something a tech could deal with if I schedule something? It just seems like it is more likely a config or setting issue somewhere than a home wiring issue.

Just_Dan
Premium Member
Denver, CO

Just_Dan

Premium Member

said by hudiat:

The more I gamed yesterday the more noticeable the lag was. I tried moving my modem to a different connection inside, same issue. I then unhooked all splitters and hooked the main line directly to modem. Same issue.

Dan, is this even something a tech could deal with if I schedule something? It just seems like it is more likely a config or setting issue somewhere than a home wiring issue.

To be honest I'm not sure what to look at exactly. A good idea might be to have a technician come out with one of our DOCSIS 3.0 modems and just see if it bonds channels when hooked up. I guess that way you could determine if it's the modem or the signal that's the problem.
hudiat

hudiat

Can I swing by the local office to pick up a modem? If so, is billing prorated, assuming it works and I send this surfboard in for warranty is it fine to just use the WOW one for 2-3 weeks while they process and ship the new one?

Just to cover all bases, assuming the wow modem also does not bond, what is the next step?

Just_Dan
Premium Member
Denver, CO

Just_Dan

Premium Member

said by hudiat:

Can I swing by the local office to pick up a modem? If so, is billing prorated, assuming it works and I send this surfboard in for warranty is it fine to just use the WOW one for 2-3 weeks while they process and ship the new one?

Just to cover all bases, assuming the wow modem also does not bond, what is the next step?

You could do this if you prefer. The next step if you picked up a modem and it didn't bond would be to get a technician out to figure out what/where the signal problem is. If multiple modems don't find the other channels, there's got to be a problem with signal somewhere, but only a tech on site with a meter could determine where.
hudiat

hudiat

Just to verify motorola wanted me to just call regular support and ask to have it re-provisioned before they would swap it. After doing this there is now an event in my log that says

Oct 02 2012 15:44:55 5-Warning T203.0 MDD message timeout;CM-MAC=cc:7d:37:39:ca:23;CMTS-MAC=00:01:5c:32:c0:85;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
Oct 02 2012 15:44:38 4-Error E206.0 Improper Configuration File CVC Format
Jan 01 1970 00:00:14 6-Notice Cable Modem Reboot from SNMP ;CM-MAC=cc:7d:37:39:ca:23;CMTS-MAC=00:01:5c:32:c0:85;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

Improper configuration file is listed now, further leading to me guess firmware issue. Motorola is willing to swap it just be sure, but every thing they had me do led them to say they are confident it isn't a hardware problem.

Just to verify, between you posting saying you even tried the 50 to test and me reading the post I did a factory default, so I never actually did see any of the logs from then to verify it was there or not.

Just_Dan
Premium Member
Denver, CO

Just_Dan

Premium Member

I verified from my side it upgraded to the 50/5 package. You wouldn't have been able to really verify that on your side because you couldn't get that speed on a single downstream channel. I reverted it back after I saw the channels still weren't bonding.

The configuration file on the modem does not determine the bonding regardless. The bonding is established between the CMTS and the cable modem. You can have 2/1 speeds and the modem will still bond channels and use them all as it needs.
hudiat

hudiat

So invalid configuration file just means nothing? Just happened to start appearing around this time. Doesn't the configuration file determine how it connects to WOWs network? If it's not configured properly wouldn't it default down to just a basic connection?

Just_Dan
Premium Member
Denver, CO

Just_Dan

Premium Member

said by hudiat:

So invalid configuration file just means nothing? Just happened to start appearing around this time. Doesn't the configuration file determine how it connects to WOWs network? If it's not configured properly wouldn't it default down to just a basic connection?

If the modem wasn't configured properly, it wouldn't work at all on the network. That error was probably caused by the config file download being interrupted or corrupted. The modem most likely re-downloaded the config file and was good after that.
hudiat

hudiat

My upload has also been consistently around 1.75 to 1.8. Is this not the same range everyone who was upgraded to 15/2 was stuck at for a while? I am too busy for at least a few days to stop by and try a wow modem, but in the mean time it just really seems like a firmware issue. Even without channel bonding I should be capable of hitting 3 up no issues.
hudiat

hudiat

I completely forgot and didn't put 2 and 2 together until I was talking to my neighbor and they mentioned microwave issues, but about 2 weeks ago give or take a transformer close by blew up, it was on fire for a few minutes. We did lose power for a while, and at one point there was a sudden spike of power for a split second, so it could be completely possible this fried something in the modem.

So I will be swapping at the office maybe monday or tuesday if motorola doesn't do an advanced RMA, but also is it possible if the electrical company cut corners replacing it that there could be excessive noise on the line? Or possible that this caused damage to the WOW line?

If maintenance is going to be in the area anyway between now and me getting my replacement from Moto, and they didn't know about this any chance they will check it out? it was 3 or 4 poles south from me.

Just_Dan
Premium Member
Denver, CO

Just_Dan

Premium Member

said by hudiat:

So I will be swapping at the office maybe monday or tuesday if motorola doesn't do an advanced RMA, but also is it possible if the electrical company cut corners replacing it that there could be excessive noise on the line? Or possible that this caused damage to the WOW line?

I don't see any noise issues on the downstream or the upstream. I doubt they would have done anything that would have affected our lines, but I can't say I know much about that. It's possible the initial incident caused a power surge that damaged the modem. I've seen incidents like lightning strikes damage modems and routers before, so it's not surprising an exploding transformer could do the same thing. It doesn't appear to have caused any issues on our plant from what I can tell though, probably just a power surge on the electrical side of things.
hudiat

hudiat

Got the replacement from moto. I get 3 downstream and 2 up. It gives a message in log "RTS partial service".

However, my speed tests are now consistently 30/3 and my ping is back down, so losing 1 downstream doesn't effect me at all, just throwing it out there.

I noticed the bonding well after the transformer issue, so I just never thought of it. Could explain my iPhone issues too, it was charging at the time.

Just_Dan
Premium Member
Denver, CO

Just_Dan

Premium Member

Trying something real quick, apologies for the modem rebooting.
Just_Dan

Just_Dan

Premium Member

You should be bonding 4x2 now. There was an issue with one of the six downstream channels in your area. Your modem wanted that channel over working channels for some reason. I worked with the local head end guys to correct the issue with that one channel.
hudiat

hudiat

Awesome thanks. I also got an email about a main fiber in cleveland being cut, is that all taken care of? I never lost service, so was I just not effected from that?

Just_Dan
Premium Member
Denver, CO

Just_Dan

Premium Member

The issues were mostly all resolved around 4:30pm on Monday, but there was fiber work done over night to fully resolve everything that night. As of now, everything is back to normal. It was only affecting one of the hub sites over in the Shaker Heights area.
hudiat

hudiat

Ok, congrats on your new job by the way.

Just_Dan
Premium Member
Denver, CO

Just_Dan

Premium Member

Thanks!
hudiat

hudiat

Dan,

Since the storm and I got power back my modem is doing the exact same thing it did before that you fixed. It has 3 downstream and says partial service.

Connection is reliable so no hurry, but you were able to take care of it last time, so here is to hoping you can help again.

Can I expect the same glitch every time the modem loses power? Or was this just because of the length of time it had no power?

Thanks in advance. I didn't want to start a new post for the same issue again.

Just_Dan
Premium Member
Denver, CO

Just_Dan

Premium Member

said by hudiat:

Dan,

Since the storm and I got power back my modem is doing the exact same thing it did before that you fixed. It has 3 downstream and says partial service.

Connection is reliable so no hurry, but you were able to take care of it last time, so here is to hoping you can help again.

Can I expect the same glitch every time the modem loses power? Or was this just because of the length of time it had no power?

Thanks in advance. I didn't want to start a new post for the same issue again.

The issue had nothing to do with your modem specifically. I'm currently in the process of getting this new billing system installed on my laptop, and the old billing system is gone, so I don't have access to account information right now. Could you send me a PM with your modem's HFC MAC address so I can locate you again? Thanks.