Re: [iO] New Guide Rollout

Use to be able to hit dvr button on 8300 and see what was recorded or recording
Then hit dvr again to exit, now have to hit exit
frdrizzt
join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY

frdrizzt to dm145

to dm145
I have not had that happen once in the past 5 months on my 8300HD.
milan22
join:2008-12-17
Newark, NJ

milan22 to cousinrk

to cousinrk
said by cousinrk:

I don't know if this was mentioned but before if you entered in a channel number incorrectly you could just hit exit and re-type the channel you wanted. Now if you enter a channel number it goes right to the channel no matter what. It might seem like nothing but its an annoyance.

The new guide to me is a mess, too many buttons to press to do tasks that took less time on the old system. To change to a different date on the guide takes several more steps. Not having a scheduled recorded program blocked out in red is another annoyance among others mentioned here before.

You would think at the very least it would go all red (like before) when it's actually recording. But no, it doesn't. On the top 10 things wrong with the new guide, that's got to be number 2 on the list.

Number one would be the entire PAST section. Awful design flaw. Imagine if you will .... 3 hours of view on the screen. A BIGGER video window on top, and oh yeah in the RIGHT hand side. Logic would put it in the RIGHT hand side.
cousinrk
join:2013-03-28
Hoboken, NJ

cousinrk to Jmartz0

to Jmartz0
I don't know if this was mentioned but before if you entered in a channel number incorrectly you could just hit exit and re-type the channel you wanted. Now if you enter a channel number it goes right to the channel no matter what. It might seem like nothing but its an annoyance.

The new guide to me is a mess, too many buttons to press to do tasks that took less time on the old system. To change to a different date on the guide takes several more steps. Not having a scheduled recorded program blocked out in red is another annoyance among others mentioned here before.
rick0204
join:2009-05-20
North Bergen, NJ

rick0204 to dm145

to dm145
It only happens when I turn off the TV overnight on leave it on channel 1000.
dm145
join:2009-12-12
Clifton, NJ

dm145 to rick0204

to rick0204
said by rick0204:

Another glitch - if you turn off your TV on channel 1000 and turn it back on there is a delay of 20-30 seconds before there is any video or audio. If you change the channel to a live channel before turning off the TV there is no delay.

I can not duplicate on my sa8300
rick0204
North Bergen, NJ

rick0204 to Jmartz0

to Jmartz0
Another glitch - if you turn off your TV on channel 1000 and turn it back on there is a delay of 20-30 seconds before there is any video or audio. If you change the channel to a live channel before turning off the TV there is no delay.

joeses
@myvzw.com

joeses to dm145

Anon

to dm145
Does the new guide work better on the samsung boxes or the 4250s? I was thinking about upgrading to the samsung boxes or should I keep my 4250s and 8300.
dm145
Clifton, NJ

dm145 to Jmartz0

to Jmartz0
Responce to feedback I sent to programguide@optimum.net

Please forgive the automated reply but it helps us direct your feedback to the right person here at Optimum faster.

More importantly, thanks for taking the time to send us your thoughts. We will continue making enhancements to the new Program Guide in the days and months ahead and your feedback keeps us focused.

Feel free to keep sharing so we know what you like and what we can do better.

Yours Truly,

The gang at Optimum that likes to make stuff better.

Elite
Kiss My Ass
join:2002-10-03
New Haven, CT
Synology RT2600ac
TP-Link TC-7650
ARRIS SB8200

Elite to frdrizzt

to frdrizzt
said by frdrizzt:

That behavior does not happen to my box (SA8300HD) which has always been set to "subscribed to". I have been able to exit or "guide" back to the current time without issue. Were those boxes SA or Samsung? Did you try rebooting your boxes and repeating?

Three Samsung boxes (but only 2 affected). I had rebooted the boxes countless times over the past month and a half and couldn't seem to resolve the issue. Neither could CV. Glad I didn't waste my time swapping out the boxes.
frdrizzt
Ronkonkoma, NY

frdrizzt to Elite

to Elite
That behavior does not happen to my box (SA8300HD) which has always been set to "subscribed to". I have been able to exit or "guide" back to the current time without issue. Were those boxes SA or Samsung? Did you try rebooting your boxes and repeating?

Elite
Kiss My Ass
join:2002-10-03
New Haven, CT
Synology RT2600ac
TP-Link TC-7650
ARRIS SB8200

Elite to Jmartz0

to Jmartz0
I FIXED MY GUIDE FREEZING ISSUE!!1

With absolutely ZERO help from useless fucking Cablevision...

After two support calls, and a promised "call back" which never happened, I remembered that I had set the guide to only show channels which I was subscribed to. Went into settings and changed this setting to "View All". Fixed the issue on both my boxes which were affected by the instantly-freezing-and-unexitable guide. Turns out I never changed this setting on my third box, so it was still at the default "View All", and that's why my third box was unaffected.

So, for anyone else who has the guide *immediately* freeze upon opening...

Press "Settings" on the remote.
Press it again to get to the full settings page.
Go to "Guide Preferences".
Make sure it says "View All".
If it doesn't, click "Default List Only" and select "View All".
Fixed!

Fuck you, Cablevision. This feature worked fine for over a month on two boxes, then stopped working randomly one day (presumably after a software update).

On a side note: Changing this setting back to "Subscribed to" will cause the guide to start freezing at launch again. Don't use this setting if you experience this behavior until CV pulls their heads out of their asses and fixes their craptacular guide.
dm145
Clifton, NJ

1 edit

dm145 to Spence1

to Spence1
said by Spence1:

One of my issues before was that the old guide would return to the current program with the "C" button, while with the new guide you have to go to Options and go down to Reset.

But I found out now that all you have to do is press the "Guide" button again to return to the beginning. So much better.

Now if only other feedback posted here about the guide could be taken to mind.

Both Reset and hitting Guide again kick me out and closes guide

Edit- Reboot fixed my issue
milan22
Newark, NJ

milan22 to frdrizzt

to frdrizzt
said by frdrizzt:

It could simply be aligned left with the history there if you go "left" of the channel call sign/logo box and make the most sense without wasting on-screen real estate.

Exactly. Just like the old guide did.
frdrizzt
Ronkonkoma, NY

frdrizzt to Spence1

to Spence1
It could simply be aligned left with the history there if you go "left" of the channel call sign/logo box and make the most sense without wasting on-screen real estate.
Spence1
join:2013-03-19
Brooklyn, NY

1 edit

Spence1 to Jmartz0

to Jmartz0
said by Jmartz :

said by milan22 :

Bottom line the PAST section is a DUMB, WORTHLESS, and is an UNCREATIVE design FLAW. It takes up precious space that we all crave in the guide.

Can't even image anybody could disagree with this.

So apparently you have not scrolled back through the PAST section to see what happens to that WORTHLESS section when it turns into a VOD menu?

I think that is pretty neat feature.

It might look like a nice feature, but what if the VOD (or ARCHIVE) menu was accessible from the Options of the guide instead of the PAST section?

You know how you can select Options, go to "Guide Type", and have the options to search by Grid, Category, Channel, or Most Watched? I believe an option for the ARCHIVE could have been added as well, instead of going back two hours in the PAST section to reach it.

I just strongly feel, as milan22 does, that the PAST section was unnecessary. What happens when you're viewing future programs in the guide and then scroll back? It scrolls backwards, but in the same window. What I mean is that the PAST window is only used for the previous two hours (in which the title of a program could be cut off or hidden due to it appearing at the beginning of the time slot).

I think being able to view the past two hours of programming within the same window (channels to the left of the guide with no PAST section) and to have the ARCHIVE available within Options would have been better.
Spence1

Spence1 to Jmartz0

to Jmartz0
One of my issues before was that the old guide would return to the current program with the "C" button, while with the new guide you have to go to Options and go down to Reset.

But I found out now that all you have to do is press the "Guide" button again to return to the beginning. So much better.

Now if only other feedback posted here about the guide could be taken to mind.
milan22
Newark, NJ

milan22 to rick0204

to rick0204
said by rick0204:

Another feature not in the new guide is the date. In the old guide you just pressed info and the date was in the upper right hand corner. Now all you see is the day and no date.

And the hits keep coming.
blucas00000
join:2005-04-17
Georgetown, TX
·Suddenlink

blucas00000 to Jmartz0

to Jmartz0
I received the following email from Optimum beginning with...
"Wed, 20 Mar 2013 20:17:47 +0000
Optimum
Introducing your new program guide..."

Having the New Program Guide failing to appear, this morning I emailed the following, "Is it real or bogus? Five days after receiving the email from Optimum, I do not see any changes in the programming guide. I have already rebooted using info - vol - vol. Is there a problem on my end or yours? Thanks"

Their response to me in the Throggs Neck Bridge section of the BRONX.
"Dear Valued Customer: "Thank you for having taken the time to email us at Optimum. Since the email you have received from us regarding the new program guide, I'm sorry to advise that we have postponed the launch date for your area. We will keep you posted via email when it becomes available in your area."

A REPRIEVE. I hope the bugs are gone before they push the software into my SA 8300HD. Sorry about those of you experiencing all of these problems. I like the look and feel of the guide on my laptop. A little to big to be used as a remote control. Hope our Dolanites fix the needed code sooner than later.
dm145
Clifton, NJ

dm145 to rick0204

to rick0204
Guide data reaches out 12 days but still limited to setting recordings up to 7 days
rick0204
North Bergen, NJ

rick0204 to Jmartz0

to Jmartz0
Another feature not in the new guide is the date. In the old guide you just pressed info and the date was in the upper right hand corner. Now all you see is the day and no date.
milan22
Newark, NJ

milan22 to andertrack

to andertrack
said by andertrack:

We still don't have the new guide on our SA box so instead of waiting even longer we are switching back to FIOS. If you haven't seen their guide it is so much better than the "new" Optimum guide

Did ya?

Aaae
@optonline.net

Aaae to andertrack

Anon

to andertrack
Changing channels seems to have gotten slower within past week with 8300 and old guide on longisland.
andertrack
join:2013-03-22

andertrack to Jmartz0

to Jmartz0
We still don't have the new guide on our SA box so instead of waiting even longer we are switching back to FIOS. If you haven't seen their guide it is so much better than the "new" Optimum guide
milan22
Newark, NJ

milan22

Look at it this way. The new guide is definitely snappier (at least on my SA's) that's a HUGE plus. And the new guide is "prettier" than the old guide.

While adding a couple of useful features, they took away useful features that were discussed in prior post by various people.

AND while I said the new guide is "prettier", I didn't say the layout was better. Why? because it's just not. It's just the plain truth.

Will I get used to it? ... Yes ... But then again do we have a choice? (yes I know I could switch services) There's no option to stick with the old "look", ala like some programs do.
milan22

milan22 to Jmartz0

to Jmartz0
said by Jmartz0:

said by milan22:

Bottom line the PAST section is a DUMB, WORTHLESS, and is an UNCREATIVE design FLAW. It takes up precious space that we all crave in the guide.

So apparently you have not scrolled back through the PAST section to see what happens to that WORTHLESS section when it turns into a VOD menu?

Yes I'm fully aware of the VOD menu. After you you go back about 2 hours.

Sorry, but what you just stated doesn't make sense. Why would you need a PAST section taking up precious space on the screen to roll back?

Newsflash: The old went backwards too. Yes it only went back about 1 hour, but guess what? NO SPACE TO THE LEFT was needed.

Bottom line it's a design flaw that's useless.
dm145
Clifton, NJ

dm145 to Jmartz0

to Jmartz0
They could have achieved the same result if they moved the channels over to the end with Archive above pointing left

We would have two hours of guide data on the 4x3 guide and could potentially have at least three hours with a 16x9 guide

Jmartz0
join:2000-07-20
Tenafly, NJ

Jmartz0 to milan22

to milan22
said by milan22:

civic110
@optonline.net

civic110 to dm145

Anon

to dm145
I'm on Monmouth (Optimum); no new guide on SA's here yet.
dm145
Clifton, NJ

dm145 to anonn

to anonn
No published roll out schedule

I received email about getting new guide weds and woke up fri with new guide loaded