Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

rick0204

join:2009-05-20
North Bergen, NJ
reply to Jmartz

Re: [iO] New Guide Rollout

Another feature not in the new guide is the date. In the old guide you just pressed info and the date was in the upper right hand corner. Now all you see is the day and no date.

milan22

join:2008-12-17
Newark, NJ
reply to andertrack

said by andertrack:

We still don't have the new guide on our SA box so instead of waiting even longer we are switching back to FIOS. If you haven't seen their guide it is so much better than the "new" Optimum guide

Did ya?

Aaae

@optonline.net
reply to andertrack

Changing channels seems to have gotten slower within past week with 8300 and old guide on longisland.

andertrack

join:2013-03-22
reply to Jmartz

We still don't have the new guide on our SA box so instead of waiting even longer we are switching back to FIOS. If you haven't seen their guide it is so much better than the "new" Optimum guide

milan22

Newark, NJ
reply to milan22

Look at it this way. The new guide is definitely snappier (at least on my SA's) that's a HUGE plus. And the new guide is "prettier" than the old guide.

While adding a couple of useful features, they took away useful features that were discussed in prior post by various people.

AND while I said the new guide is "prettier", I didn't say the layout was better. Why? because it's just not. It's just the plain truth.

Will I get used to it? ... Yes ... But then again do we have a choice? (yes I know I could switch services) There's no option to stick with the old "look", ala like some programs do.

milan22

Newark, NJ
reply to Jmartz

said by Jmartz:

said by milan22:

Bottom line the PAST section is a DUMB, WORTHLESS, and is an UNCREATIVE design FLAW. It takes up precious space that we all crave in the guide.

Can't even image anybody could disagree with this.

So apparently you have not scrolled back through the PAST section to see what happens to that WORTHLESS section when it turns into a VOD menu?

I think that is pretty neat feature.

Yes I'm fully aware of the VOD menu. After you you go back about 2 hours.

Sorry, but what you just stated doesn't make sense. Why would you need a PAST section taking up precious space on the screen to roll back?

Newsflash: The old went backwards too. Yes it only went back about 1 hour, but guess what? NO SPACE TO THE LEFT was needed.

Bottom line it's a design flaw that's useless.

dm145

join:2009-12-12
Clifton, NJ
reply to Jmartz

They could have achieved the same result if they moved the channels over to the end with Archive above pointing left

We would have two hours of guide data on the 4x3 guide and could potentially have at least three hours with a 16x9 guide

Jmartz

join:2000-07-20
Tenafly, NJ
reply to milan22

said by milan22:

Bottom line the PAST section is a DUMB, WORTHLESS, and is an UNCREATIVE design FLAW. It takes up precious space that we all crave in the guide.

Can't even image anybody could disagree with this.

So apparently you have not scrolled back through the PAST section to see what happens to that WORTHLESS section when it turns into a VOD menu?

I think that is pretty neat feature.

civic110

@optonline.net
reply to dm145

I'm on Monmouth (Optimum); no new guide on SA's here yet.

dm145

Clifton, NJ
reply to anonn

No published roll out schedule

I received email about getting new guide weds and woke up fri with new guide loaded

anonn

@optonline.net
reply to Jmartz

So which areas with SA boxes still don't have the new guide? I'm in the Woodbury system and only have SA boxes and still haven't gotten it. Just wondering how long it'll be....

Spence1

join:2013-03-19
Brooklyn, NY
reply to milan22

I agree about showing the season and episode number. It's a good feature.

If only the guide could show some more info about other things like sports events and movie premieres.

Here's what I mean:

Sports Events: The "Search" feature shows where a game or event (baseball, basketball, etc.) is being played and also if it is live. The guide doesn't have this yet.

Movie Premieres: The new guide (and "Search" feature) shows "NEW" on the top for new episodes and events, but not for movies (as the old guide had done). It would be nice to see if a movie is new to a network or not.

It isn't a big deal, but it would be good if the guide had these features as well.

rick0204

North Bergen, NJ
reply to milan22

I like this also. I was not sure if my shows last night were new or repeats and that info in the upper right told me.

dm145

Clifton, NJ
reply to milan22

Yes I noticed that, prior to this I had to check imdb based on ep title
Very nice indeed

milan22

Newark, NJ
reply to Jmartz

Since I have been slamming the new guide right & left, I figure I said a good thing about the new guide.

Don't know if anyone has noticed, mainly because nobody has mentioned it before, but now in description/info of TV programs, it shows exactly which Episode it is.

Example: NCIS S03E18 Translates to Season 3, Episode 18

I think this is freakin FANTASTIC. And it's for just about every show on TV/Cable. Sitcoms, Dramas, Reality programs it doesn't matter. Everything.

Tested it by flipping around the guide. Wanna know which episode/season that particular Storage Wars is from? It's right there in the info guide. Watching an old Law & Order on TNT, and wanna know what season it was from, it's right there.

Oceanside426

join:2012-07-15
Oceanside, NY
reply to SirQAM

You guys aren't the only ones complaining about speed either.. I am too. I have Six Samsung Boxes and I can tell you the longer they are left inactive or powered on the slower they get. I am also noticing the terrible loading times with the spinning circle in the guide, bringing up the guide and the slow channel changing. I have verified signals and that isn't the problem. One thing I did notice is the SA boxes to me also seemed faster I used to have the SA4250's and I only updated because I thought that newer equipment meant an even faster experience.. so far Ive been wrong about that. These samsung boxes need a lot of work and I am tempted to have my Cablevision contact switch me back to the SA boxes when the Onyx guide is finally pushed to my area for SA Boxes.

SirQAM

@verizon.net
reply to dm145

said by dm145:

SirQAM,

I guess you didn't take the time to check out the features. But instead you were quick to post your negative review.

Of course a reboot was required to update the boxes

You can set the guide to only show subscribed channels as well as other choices

You are the only one complaining about the speed so your review has little credibility as far as I'm concerned

Very troll like

said by dm145:

Funny since my sisters Samsung box is noticable slower than my SA boxes with the new guide!

Changing channels
Bringing up guide
Browsing the guide
Tuning within guide

Hmmm... I guess I wasn't the only one complaining about speed after all

majortom1029

join:2006-10-19
Lindenhurst, NY
kudos:1
reply to dm145

said by dm145:

Funny since my sisters Samsung box is noticable slower than my SA boxes with the new guide!

Changing channels
Bringing up guide
Browsing the guide
Tuning within guide

maybe she has a faulty box or a bad firmware? My Samsung box is pretty much instant with the new guide. A lot faster then my sa 8300hd dvr.

dm145

Clifton, NJ
reply to mbernste

Changing channels
Bringing up guide
Browsing the guide
Tuning within guide

mbernste
Boosted
Premium,MVM
join:2001-06-30
Piscataway, NJ
reply to Spence1

I suspect that the guide was "dumbed down" so that they can run somewhat-ok on the not so powerful SA boxes. The guide pictured above might be too much for the SA boxes to handle, though I would think it is a safe bet that a far more advanced guide can be implemented on the Samsung boxes. If I were to go into the "mind of Cablevision," from a support and simplicity perspective it is easier to have the same guide on all boxes post-transition than having to have to support two different interfaces. Likewise I don't think Cablevision wants to deal with people turning in their SA boxes for a more advanced box. This could be a lesson learned from the Sony box experience from ten or so years ago.

Spence1

Brooklyn, NY
reply to rick0204

Instead of telling us to just become used to the new guide as I have read on their website, it's nice to hear them actually admit that they'll make enhancements later on.

At least the guide is usable, and I have found some likeable features about it, such as searching programs on one channel. Also, being able to expand the guide to 7 rows, which allows you to view more listings on one page.

But one of my main issues, as a previous post stated, is the "PAST" section. It shows only an inch or two of information to the left of the channel listings. It seems unnecessary and, to be honest, going back two hours in the same window (as in the former guide) would have worked just fine. What I mean is that the channels might look better on the left side of the screen as before, instead of in the middle.

Another issue, in my opinion, is the dim color of the letters in the "AHEAD" section. If it were all in white, as in the "NOW" section, it would make the program listings more legible.

My last, and probably most important issue, is the lag of navigating through the guide (specifically how information, at times, has to keep being loaded with a loading circle when moving forward an hour or two). If the navigation speed could be improved, then I may be much more satisfied.

dm145

Clifton, NJ
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to Spence1

said by Spence1:

Is it true that Cablevision is in talks of being sold? If so, may I have more information about it?

Absolutely not, pure speculation

rick0204

North Bergen, NJ
reply to Jmartz

There is an email address to send your suggestions about the new guide. I sent one and here is the auto reply:

programguide@optimum.net via wmta2.srv.hcvlny.cv.net

4:52 PM

Please forgive the automated reply but it helps us direct your feedback to the right person here at Optimum faster.

More importantly, thanks for taking the time to send us your thoughts. We will continue making enhancements to the new Program Guide in the days and months ahead and your feedback keeps us focused.

Feel free to keep sharing so we know what you like and what we can do better.

Yours Truly,

The gang at Optimum that likes to make stuff better.

Spence1

Brooklyn, NY

1 edit
reply to kickass69

Reply to: kickass69
And here I am making complaints about the new guide when bigger things seem to be happening regarding Cablevision.

kickass69

join:2002-06-03
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
reply to Spence1

»Citigroup: Cablevision Likely to Be Sold

Spence1

Brooklyn, NY
reply to iotv

Is it true that Cablevision is in talks of being sold? If so, may I have more information about it?

Spence1

Brooklyn, NY

2 edits
reply to guide

Reply to: guide @bloomberg.com
As for the picture I posted before of returning to the old interface, it was just an idea. But this one looks very nice and advanced. In fact it looks similar to Fios, showing all of the info including the channel logo. Do you know what provider this guide comes from (Fios or something else)?

guide

@bloomberg.com
reply to TheWiseGuy

This is what the guide should look like. All the info is within the guide.

iotv

@optonline.net
reply to TheWiseGuy

What will happen to the new guide and DVR+ if time warner takes over? Time warner uses 8300 multi room. My guess is DVR + and the new guide would be droped.

TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-04
East Stroudsburg, PA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to rick0204

I believe the new guide is based on the Rovi guide.

»www.rovicorp.com/company/news-ce···4612.htm

I suspect it was then customized for CV and the boxes they use. So I suspect it is not that they were deliberately removing or changing features but adapting the Rovi and the features that were already there.
--
Warning, If you post nonsense and use misinformation and are here to argue based on those methods, you will be put on ignore.