share rss forum feed

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
reply to mbernste

Re: [iO] New Guide Rollout

said by mbernste:

Has anyone with the Samsung boxes gotten it yet?

No, not me.

IllIlIlllIll
EliteData
Premium
join:2003-07-06
Hampton Bays, NY
kudos:7
reply to Jmartz

the B button is mapped to the "Guide" button for those who dont have the "Guide" button.

optimumtv

@myvzw.com
reply to RickNY

On the 8300 DVR do you have the choice to record to the DVR OR THE DVR +?

An

@optonline.net
reply to kickass69

I really like the look of the new guide, but I am quite disappointed by the fact that they did not make it HD on the 8300HD and the other SA boxes. If this is a cloud based guide, then what's the problem? Can't all boxes run them properly? Are they just trying to make people switch to the Samsung boxes or something? Because, I'm certainly not switching to DVR+ any time soon.

Jmartz

join:2000-07-20
Tenafly, NJ

Wilt posted in the Yahoo group that it has something to do with the graphics plain. I assume that translates into a hardware limitation with whatever process is in charge of the graphics inside the box.

Nothing new on Samsung this AM. Box did reboot again overnight.

IllIlIlllIll
EliteData
Premium
Hampton Bays, NY
reply to optimumtv

said by optimumtv :

you can subscribe to DVR+ on the 8300HD and have both internal and "cloud" storage, but why would you ?
--
Suffolk County NY Police Feed - »www.scpdny.com
PS3 Gaming Feed - »www.livestream.com/elitedata

IllIlIlllIll
EliteData
Premium
Hampton Bays, NY
reply to An

said by An :

I really like the look of the new guide, but I am quite disappointed by the fact that they did not make it HD on the 8300HD and the other SA boxes. If this is a cloud based guide, then what's the problem? Can't all boxes run them properly? Are they just trying to make people switch to the Samsung boxes or something? Because, I'm certainly not switching to DVR+ any time soon.

in order for the engine to execute the guide and SA menus quicker, the resolution of some internal SA execution menus are reduced (this makes sense).
this can be seen when using the # to change the aspect, the small display at the bottom right looks terrible to what it did previously.
--

IllIlIlllIll
EliteData
Premium
Hampton Bays, NY
reply to Jmartz

said by Jmartz:

Wilt posted in the Yahoo group that it has something to do with the graphics plain. I assume that translates into a hardware limitation with whatever process is in charge of the graphics inside the box.

Nothing new on Samsung this AM. Box did reboot again overnight.

yup.
its a hardware limitation.
take a look at all the GUI's loaded (but hidden from user view until activated) in the diagnostic menu.
i would say these boxes are loaded just about to their capacity capability with the hardware.
i cannot imagine how the 4200HD operates now lol.
--

Jmartz

Tenafly, NJ

I would guess that being cloud based frees up memory on the box. So that is why it runs quicker with the new guide. I am curious to know how the Samsung boxes are doing. Wilt said that some areas of LI were supposed to get the update overnight.

IllIlIlllIll
EliteData
Premium
Hampton Bays, NY

said by Jmartz:

I would guess that being cloud based frees up memory on the box. So that is why it runs quicker with the new guide. I am curious to know how the Samsung boxes are doing. Wilt said that some areas of LI were supposed to get the update overnight.

if memory serves correctly (cant check it atm) i believe the IPG is still "cached" by a degree of memory on the box itself but nothing like the old IPG was.
--

RemyM

join:2005-02-14
Stamford, CT
kudos:1
reply to IllIlIlllIll

said by IllIlIlllIll:

said by optimumtv :

you can subscribe to DVR+ on the 8300HD and have both internal and "cloud" storage, but why would you ?

I have both. It's only $5 to add DVR+ if you have a SA8300, but you also need to have a non DVR box too. You can't schedule DVR+ recordings from a SA8300, but you can watch them on it.

The advantages are I can now record 6 things at once and I have more storage space.

RemyM

Stamford, CT
reply to Jmartz

I haven't seen any post on how many days of info are in the new guide. Is it more then 7?

TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-04
East Stroudsburg, PA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to IllIlIlllIll

said by IllIlIlllIll:

said by Jmartz:

if memory serves correctly (cant check it atm) i believe the IPG is still "cached" by a degree of memory on the box itself but nothing like the old IPG was.

When they initially announced it in the original earnings Conference Call, Wilt did say it would be box and cloud based, with some of the data still being stored in the box and some being in the cloud. IIRC, he also said the guide would have 30 days of data.
--
Warning, If you post nonsense and use misinformation and are here to argue based on those methods, you will be put on ignore.

IllIlIlllIll
EliteData
Premium
Hampton Bays, NY
reply to RemyM

said by RemyM:

said by IllIlIlllIll:

said by optimumtv :

I have both. It's only $5 to add DVR+ if you have a SA8300, but you also need to have a non DVR box too. You can't schedule DVR+ recordings from a SA8300, but you can watch them on it.

The advantages are I can now record 6 things at once and I have more storage space.

im not satisfied though with the reaction latency for button presses using the DVR+.
its comparable to the on demand content latency button presses prior to DVR+.
up to 1 second latency (depending on network congestion) is too much for me and is annoying when trying to skip commercials.
with all the "noise" the boxes generate on the network (separate subnet), latency time would be quicker if they were all quiet and stopped broadcasting IGMP/broadcast "who has this & who has that" messages (im not going to divulge how to see this, dont ask please).
if CV can successfully filter out this type of traffic from a subscribers CM (by SNMP), then why not on the cable boxes ?
the option is there, its just not enabled.
the network the cable boxes use is no different than the network cable modem subscribers use, its just a different subnet and uses a proxy for internet access (and doesnt have ports filtered at the CMTS)
--

IllIlIlllIll
EliteData
Premium
Hampton Bays, NY
reply to TheWiseGuy

said by TheWiseGuy See Profile
When they initially announced it in the original earnings Conference Call, Wilt did say it would be box and cloud based, with some of the data still being stored in the box and some being in the cloud. IIRC, he also said the guide would have 30 days of data.

it would make sense to still have some of the IPG data cached on the box, this would reduce guide queries that would create network traffic.
--

kickass69

join:2002-06-03
Lake Hopatcong, NJ

1 edit
reply to RemyM

said by RemyM:

I haven't seen any post on how many days of info are in the new guide. Is it more then 7?

I can look at up to 11 days out with the new guide.

furnace

@websense.net

I love how you can customize your guide to Favorites, just as fios has had for years. But is there a way that when you just hit the arrow buttons to flip through channels all you see is the favorites? Fios has it, not sure if there is a way to create this?

IllIlIlllIll
EliteData
Premium
Hampton Bays, NY

go to settings and set up the guide as default > list > favorites.
then it will display only the favorite channels in the guide when the guide button (or B button) is pressed.
there is no way to just show the favorite channels using the channel button, only the "fav" button.
--

RemyM

Stamford, CT
reply to Jmartz

Wilt said new roll outs are on hold due to a couple of issues.

mbernste
Boosted
Premium,MVM
join:2001-06-30
Piscataway, NJ
reply to Jmartz

Lately I've been seeing a lot of references to Wilt, especially on this particular topic. Didn't he retire from Cablevision like 6 years ago? Did he somehow "un-retire?"

cabletecht

join:2012-06-08

said by mbernste:

Lately I've been seeing a lot of references to Wilt, especially on this particular topic. Didn't he retire from Cablevision like 6 years ago? Did he somehow "un-retire?"

said by mbernste:

He came back shortly after Rutledge and the other executives left.

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey

"Senior Advisor of Engineering and Technology"
»www.cablevision.com/about/leader···rand.jsp

TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-04
East Stroudsburg, PA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to mbernste

He never completely left. He stayed on part time as an adviser and recently went full time again. He has attended at least the last 2 Earnings Conference Calls to answer technical questions.
--
Warning, If you post nonsense and use misinformation and are here to argue based on those methods, you will be put on ignore.

rick0204

join:2009-05-20
North Bergen, NJ
reply to mbernste

Wilt posts in the CV Yahoo group on a regular basis. I have not seen him post here but he may read the posts.

IllIlIlllIll
EliteData
Premium
Hampton Bays, NY

said by rick0204:

Wilt posts in the CV Yahoo group on a regular basis. I have not seen him post here but he may read the posts.

i would think he does read here.
for all we know, he could be a registered member but not identifying himself in ways to be known as Wilt.
he could even be posting as an anonymous user.
speculation, speculation.
--

milan22

join:2008-12-17
Newark, NJ

So how's everybody enjoying having to double press Select to switch to any channel in the new guide.

As opposed to double button pressing to get to the guide on the old guide?

mbernste
Boosted
Premium,MVM
join:2001-06-30
Piscataway, NJ
reply to IllIlIlllIll

said by IllIlIlllIll:

for all we know, he could be a registered member

He is a registered member here and used to post here regularly. His nick is wilth See Profile.

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to milan22

said by milan22:

So how's everybody enjoying having to double press Select to switch to any channel in the new guide.
As opposed to double button pressing to get to the guide on the old guide?

It's the law of conservation of button pushes. If Cablevision reduced the number of required pushes by even one, it could destroy the universe!

Jmartz

Tenafly, NJ
reply to milan22

Have you tried just pushing the "play" button on the remote? I know it's a stretch.

I only suggest trying to because my Moxi makes you push two buttons to change the channel from the guide. It gives you a menu of choices just like the new CV guide. Pushing PLAY skips the menu and just tunes the channel... if it does not already do it, maybe they can enable that?

I know my Tivo lets me skip the extra menu when trying to play recorded programs. In the Now Playing list, just hit PLAY and it just starts. Hitting "clear" on the remote also deletes shows without having to confirm it.

Time for some shortcuts! Although, I think they are just worried about getting it deployed right now...

kickass69

join:2002-06-03
Lake Hopatcong, NJ

1 edit

The DVR boxes from Cablevision always required a double press when recording previously. But now the regular STBs as I said above and milan22 adds, require 2 button presses to switch to a channel from the guide. Makes me not want to use it aside from all the other negatives I mentioned above from myself and my mother.

Let's not forget everyone, to give your feedback 'officially' to Cablevision.

»www.optimum.net/ExploreOptimum/f···56999916

Feel free to give us feedback on our program guide:
programguide@optimum.net