Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Jmartz

join:2000-07-20
Tenafly, NJ
reply to Jmartz

Re: [iO] New Guide Rollout

I wonder what kind of horrible bugs they found that caused them to stop the roll out... seems now mum's the word from the CV techs too. Not a good sign....

IllIlIlllIll
EliteData
Premium
join:2003-07-06
Hampton Bays, NY
kudos:7

2 edits

Click for full size
IPG
said by Jmartz:

I wonder what kind of horrible bugs they found that caused them to stop the roll out... seems now mum's the word from the CV techs too. Not a good sign....

from the looks of it, the guide data is cached each time you advance into a future date.
each date uses approximately 1Mbyte of memory.
the SA boxes dont have much spare memory to start with, im going to try to keep advancing into future dates until i can get all of the free memory used up by the cached copies of the guide and see what happens.
either the box throws a hidden error or the older cached guide copy is deleted.
the picture attached was snapped on 10/4.
it shows the current future guide loaded for 10/5 (which also includes 10/4 due to the time this picture was taken) (opg_programs_05.zdb)
--
Suffolk County NY Police Feed - »www.scpdny.com
PS3 Gaming Feed - »www.livestream.com/elitedata

cabletecht

join:2012-06-08
reply to Jmartz

said by Jmartz:

After the roll out there were issues with SA boxes in those areas. Some started losing specific channels (black screens), and some would lose audio on all channels. Both issues are resolved by a reboot of the box.

Also an issue where parental controls were being applied to certain channels randomly, and the fix was to reset the pin.

Although they aren't major issues, and quick fixes, these are most likely the reason the roll out was stopped.

IllIlIlllIll
EliteData
Premium
Hampton Bays, NY

1 edit

Click for full size
CCI/EMI
said by cabletecht:

said by Jmartz:

After the roll out there were issues with SA boxes in those areas. Some started losing specific channels (black screens), and some would lose audio on all channels. Both issues are resolved by a reboot of the box.

Also an issue where parental controls were being applied to certain channels randomly, and the fix was to reset the pin.

Although they aren't major issues, and quick fixes, these are most likely the reason the roll out was stopped.

additonally, every channel, regardless of what the content is, the CCI is "free".
prior to the update, the EMI/CCI field would indicate a flag respective to the content being played.
i will bet dollars to donuts 1394 to my pc and using VLC, i can save any content bit for bit without any issues. (i already have this setup but havent used it in a long time)
--

cabletecht

additonally, every channel, regardless of what the content is, the CCI is "free".
prior to the update, the EMI/CCI field would indicate a flag respective to the content being played.
i will bet dollars to donuts 1394 to my pc and using VLC, i can save any content bit for bit without any issues. (i already have this setup but havent used it in a long time)

guess that's a good thing..if it stays that way

IllIlIlllIll
EliteData
Premium
Hampton Bays, NY

i doubt it will.
the fact that i posted this will do nothing but speed the process up getting it corrected (the issue is bound to be discovered eventually anyway, content providers like HBO certainly wont like this if they get word about it)
it also proves that the EMI/CCI flag can be "overridden" regardless of what the content is flagged at from the source.
--

cabletecht

said by IllIlIlllIll:

i doubt it will.
the fact that i posted this will do nothing but speed the process up getting it corrected (the issue is bound to be discovered eventually anyway, content providers like HBO certainly wont like this if they get word about it)
it also proves that the EMI/CCI flag can be "overridden" regardless of what the content is flagged at from the source.

yea. the flag is definitely controlled by the cable provider. I actually have noticed diff. flags when I compared the same channels on cablevision and charter.

least anyone with a Linux based HTPC can enjoy all the channels for the time being until they notice.

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
kudos:1
reply to Jmartz

When might Folks in the Stamford CT area get the new guide, I havent really been following this.

kickass69

join:2002-06-03
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
reply to IllIlIlllIll

I've noticed the regular SA boxes doesn't store each day ahead for too long. When I choose days ahead in those instances it gets stored in the screenshot above for a few minutes then disappears. At most the regular boxes only keep a day's worth in memory and downloads further days to the guide when you request it.

The 8300 and 8300HD DVR boxes download all 11 days and keep them there for recording purposes I gather.

IllIlIlllIll
EliteData
Premium
Hampton Bays, NY

said by kickass69:

I've noticed the regular SA boxes doesn't store each day ahead for too long. When I choose days ahead in those instances it gets stored in the screenshot above for a few minutes then disappears. At most the regular boxes only keep a day's worth in memory and downloads further days to the guide when you request it.

The 8300 and 8300HD DVR boxes download all 11 days and keep them there for recording purposes I gather.

what i noticed, the content currently playing will "freeze" when the new guide data for the future date is being downloaded to the box.
it happens on all the SA boxes i have.
the 8300HD has more free memory to play with (and a faster processor), another reason why i like this box.
--

andrewc2

join:2011-06-05
Matamoras, PA
reply to Jmartz

Surprisingly Matamoras, got the new guide on the SA boxes I have noticed though that the guide seems to lock up right when you open it while it downloads.

longdave

@myvzw.com

I had my DVR ungpluged so I never got the update. Rebooted and still came with the classic edition. To me the guide looked rushed. Still has old optimum logos.

Billowy

@optonline.net

My SA box in riverhead got it earlier in the week.

Exchanged it for a new samsung box and it still has the old guide after a reboot just now

mbernste
Boosted
Premium,MVM
join:2001-06-30
Piscataway, NJ

said by Billowy :

Exchanged it for a new samsung box and it still has the old guide after a reboot just now

They haven't been rolled out to the Samsung boxes yet and probably won't be until the bugs are resolved.

civic110

@optonline.net

Is it worth swapping the SA 4250 HD boxes for Samsung HD boxes? Is this recommended? Ix the new guide in HD on the Samsung boxes?

Haven't gotten the new guide yet, so just wondering how to proceed when I do, as I currently have two SA 4250 HD boxes.

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
Allendale, NJ

I would if I were you. That's just my opinion.

mbernste
Boosted
Premium,MVM
join:2001-06-30
Piscataway, NJ
reply to civic110

I agree. Get the new box. I don't think the guide is in HD, but the graphics quality is much better due to the newer hardware.

civic110

@optonline.net

Thanks for the input...and the Samsung new model boxes are available as HD only boxes? I do not have DVR, etc...

Is there a particular Samsung model number to ask for or are they all the same?

root

join:2002-12-11

said by civic110 :

Thanks for the input...and the Samsung new model boxes are available as HD only boxes? I do not have DVR, etc...

Is there a particular Samsung model number to ask for or are they all the same?

Only one model...hopefully they know what you're referring to.. :P

kickass69

join:2002-06-03
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
reply to civic110

As mentioned above it still uses the old SARA guide and that guide is stretched across the screen vs actual HD. The new Onyx guide isn't true HD atleast on the SA boxes.

tj15

@optonline.net
reply to Jmartz

I guess they started rolling it out again..was just on another site and someone posted that they got the guide yesterday..they did not say where they were from.

Jmartz

join:2000-07-20
Tenafly, NJ
reply to Jmartz

So... any word on when these bugs will get fixed? Kinda a PR killer right now...

momcat1
No Relation To The Bobcat

join:2002-10-21
Wappingers Falls, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to cabletecht

said by cabletecht:

Yes, inquiring minds would love to know!

Esp since Dutchess hasn't even shown any signs of any impending change, EXCEPT for the channels that black out completely, out of the blue, and don't come back up for a few HOURS. BTW, it was not during sun spot times either - I checked.

Yes, I'm shouting, cause I'm mad as hell...

If we're not currently being updated, then we shouldn't have to suffer through the bugs that those who have been updated are going through. There will be time enough when it finally is our turn to update, although after reviewing CV's information page I don't really see the point. It had better be REAL good.

frdrizzt

join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY

If you are not updated with the new guide then you do not have the bugs. Any black screen you see is unrelated to bugs that people with the new software have.

majortom1029

join:2006-10-19
Lindenhurst, NY
reply to Jmartz

One thing I noticed with the new guide is that I cannot get to dvr plus on that box. It comes up with a server error.

anonnn

@optonline.net
reply to momcat1

I'm in the Woodbury system, and none of our SA boxes have gotten the new guide. Oddly enough, last night our boxes automatically rebooted around 4AM and several channels went out for a few hours. Mind you, this is the second time the boxes have rebooted in the middle of the night since the rollout began. Would love to know what exactly is going on with the status of the rollout at this point and why my boxes have been rebooting...

frdrizzt

join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY

There was maintenance in parts of Nassau affecting a number of channels last night. Sounds like you were involved. I don't think it involved any reboots though, that might have been something else.

ilsno

@optonline.net
reply to anonnn

Has anyone anywhere gotten the guide with a Samsung Box? Im itching to get it and keep checking every morning.

momcat1
No Relation To The Bobcat

join:2002-10-21
Wappingers Falls, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to anonnn

said by anonnn :

I'm in the Woodbury system, and none of our SA boxes have gotten the new guide. Oddly enough, last night our boxes automatically rebooted around 4AM and several channels went out for a few hours. Mind you, this is the second time the boxes have rebooted in the middle of the night since the rollout began. Would love to know what exactly is going on with the status of the rollout at this point and why my boxes have been rebooting...

Only the second time? Count yourself lucky. Ours do it 5 nights out of 7. And the blacked out channels have been happening during prime time.

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
Allendale, NJ
reply to ilsno

+1