join:2009-12-12
Clifton, NJ
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to max pl

Re: [iO] New Guide Rollout

said by max pl:

said by dm145:

What does that have to do with new guide?
Are you guys saying you received new guide and it has no data?
Or old guide no data and making something out of nothing?

we're not making something out of nothing.

it obviously means something that as we get news of a new guide rollout, our data in the old guide is gone.

Nope just an outage!
New guide roll out has not started yet.

RemyM

join:2005-02-14
Stamford, CT
kudos:1
Looks like the rollout starts on LI Wednesday.
»www.newsday.com/business/cablevi···66986?p=

Masterchewy

join:2004-11-02
Hartsdale, NY
reply to Jmartz

Re: [iO] New Guide Rollout or just simple Maintenance?

»www.optimum.net/pv_obj_cache/pv_···_web.pdf
Booklet for the new onyx guide

kickass69

join:2002-06-03
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
reply to Jmartz
At 3:30 AM we got the new guide here in the Morris County system. Utterly shocked that we were first for a change. You should just change the topic to just New Guide Rollout at this rate.

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
Same old guide here on the Raritan system.

Jmartz

join:2000-07-20
Tenafly, NJ

1 edit
reply to kickass69
Changed the title. All of my boxes (Samsung) were at the "turn on" mode. I booted one up and it was the same UI. Guess we have to wait another day.

frdrizzt

join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY
kudos:3
reply to Bob4
It's being rolled out in steps. Your area will get it soon enough.

mbernste
Boosted
Premium,MVM
join:2001-06-30
Piscataway, NJ
reply to Bob4
said by Bob4:

Same old guide here on the Raritan system.

If you saw the letter it is on a "per box" basis, not even system. One box in your house could have the new guide while another has the old one. Supposedly they are targeting the Scientific Atlanta boxes first.

kickass69

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
The regular SA8300, the SA4200 and SA4250HDs in my house all got it.

I wish it was full screen HD on the HD boxes though. Plus the double button press was with the iO button and then select to get to the guide. Now you have to hit select twice on the new guide to change to the channel highlighted.

Those are the only downsides to this, everything else works as the Explore Optimum video showed us. Very fast on all the SA box flavors listed above.

cabletecht

join:2012-06-08

1 edit
reply to Jmartz
said by Jmartz:

Changed the title. All of my boxes (Samsung) were at the "turn on" mode. I booted one up and it was the same UI. Guess we have to wait another day.

Depends where you are. The rollout will be complete by Oct 26th.

root

join:2002-12-11
reply to kickass69
said by kickass69:

At 3:30 AM we got the new guide here in the Morris County system. Utterly shocked that we were first for a change. You should just change the topic to just New Guide Rollout at this rate.

On the contrary...NJ is usually the first area in roll outs. iPad live TV app and the new Voice Portal (the one you have currently) comes to mind.

kickass69

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
I guess in years past it always felt like the Woodbury/Islip system got the new stuff first since that's the system where Cablevision's HQ are based (Bethpage).

pil0t

join:2008-03-04
reply to Jmartz

Got the new guide in Port Jefferson, NY

Pos_user

join:2004-08-17
East Hanover, NJ
New guide hit Panther Valley/Allamuchy NJ - sorry for duplicate post.
Non DVR HD box is not fast as hell (it was always faster to begin with), but now the SA HD DVR is moving at more than acceptable speeds. Finallyi IO/OPT is starting to use the legs they were given.

Joey Gooch

@optonline.net
reply to pil0t
Got new guide here in Panther Valley/Allamuchy NJ and it's much much much faster and much more user friendly. It's lightning on a NON DVR HD box (they were faster to begin with), and now on my HD DVR box - it's now at acceptable speeds. Finally IO is starting to grow some legs.

tj15

@optonline.net
reply to Jmartz
Does anyone have the roll out schedule? I live in Rockland County and it'll probably be a few weeks before we get it but does anyone have the date?

pil0t

join:2008-03-04
said by tj15 :

Does anyone have the roll out schedule? I live in Rockland County and it'll probably be a few weeks before we get it but does anyone have the date?

there does not appear to be one..it's whenever it shows up, and should be before the end of the month.

frdrizzt

join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY
kudos:3
reply to Joey Gooch
My wife was impressed with the new guide we got this morning. To repeat though, the email in the OP was unrelated to this (as all boxes, SA & Samsung, need the reboots for the guide - which are done by CV for all boxes which were responding).

Pos_user

join:2004-08-17
East Hanover, NJ
Yes, agreed. That email was for unrelated informational purposes. I guess it was just a coincidence.

The DVR menu and on demand guide are the same old look - they should update that as well also . To be honest, when i'm at my mother in laws house, I love her fios guide. At first its confusing but once you get used to it, its awesome and you have a lot of features right on the main screen and it's very responsive...but OOL is getting there , one baby step at a time.

root

1 recommendation

reply to tj15
said by tj15 :

You asked in the other thread too...relax dude you sound like every freak camping out for an iPhone.

Jmartz

Tenafly, NJ
reply to Pos_user
said by Pos_user:

Yes, agreed. That email was for unrelated informational purposes. I guess it was just a coincidence.

Well at least Cablevision is keeping the overnight crews busy these days.

I would love for ShockTech to explain the process behind sending out software updates. You mention an acronym in the other topic (now locked). What does it mean? I always assumed there was some kind of device at each head-end that the boxes would attach to. Now that everything is digital, does that even necessitate the need for multiple head-ends anymore?

tj15

@optonline.net
reply to root
They deleted the other thread that's why I posted the question here to see if anyone could give an answer.
Expand your moderator at work

root

reply to Jmartz

said by Jmartz:

Well at least Cablevision is keeping the overnight crews busy these days.

Tell me about it..

said by Jmartz:

I would love for ShockTech to explain the process behind sending out software updates. You mention an acronym in the other topic (now locked). What does it mean? I always assumed there was some kind of device at each head-end that the boxes would attach to. Now that everything is digital, does that even necessitate the need for multiple head-ends anymore?

Ok so...there are multiple systems throughout the CV footprint (LI is split, CT, Westchester, NJ North, NJ South etc...there are more within this but you get the idea) Without going into too much detail...CV loads the appropriate UI files onto the DNCS (digital network control system) and carousel that each area reports/connects to.

A whitelist is present which specifies only certain boxes that get the update during this period. This is in case theres an issue and no customers are affected obviously. They then reboot a few head end boxes that are on this system and the boxes now see new files on the DNCS which loads onto the boxes. If all is good they exit a config file in the DNCS to switch over to the new UI data. Run a mass reboot script that reboots all the boxes on that DNCS and they see the new config file and download the new UI.

Hope this is what you were looking for...

RemyM

join:2005-02-14
Stamford, CT
kudos:1
reply to Jmartz
No new guide here in CT yet, but they did run a commercial during News 12 about the new guide coming.
Expand your moderator at work

optimumtv

@optonline.net

The old io menu has been updated as well. Different color square boxes next to the items when selected. Any screen shots of the guide on scientific Atlanta boxes?

root

reply to RemyM
said by RemyM:

No new guide here in CT yet, but they did run a commercial during News 12 about the new guide coming.

You've got a few weeks...sorry.

tiger_scout

join:2010-02-20
reply to Jmartz
Got mine early this morning.

Jmartz

Tenafly, NJ
Thanks for the insight on the process.

Nice to know there is a method to the madness.

I assume the "mass reboot script" affects all boxes? Because I have four of the Samsung boxes and they were all at the "turn on" state around 4:30 when I got up. Unless that was caused by the other work? Can u tell me what is being done on the Paterson system besides the software roll out?