Olias
Closer to believing
Premium Member
join:2004-05-08
Wayne, NJ

Olias to Jmartz0

Premium Member

to Jmartz0
Just got an email from Cablevision: "Your new program guide is coming. Drum roll please." I have a SA 8300HD and a SA 4200SD; I wonder if they'll upgrade both at the same time. You'd think in the over five months it initially rolled out they would finally get most of the bugs out. We'll see.
dm145
join:2009-12-12
Clifton, NJ

dm145

Just received same email
Funny thing is I never get emails from them about my service
frdrizzt
join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY

frdrizzt to Olias

to Olias
said by Olias:

Just got an email from Cablevision: "Your new program guide is coming. Drum roll please." I have a SA 8300HD and a SA 4200SD; I wonder if they'll upgrade both at the same time. You'd think in the over five months it initially rolled out they would finally get most of the bugs out. We'll see.

All SA box types in an area have been updated on the same night in the prior areas.
rick0204
join:2009-05-20
North Bergen, NJ

rick0204 to Jmartz0

to Jmartz0
We now have the new guide on the SA DVR and the SA boxes. Not sure if I want it but we now have it on all the boxes. Hudson County NJ.
Expand your moderator at work
milan22
join:2008-12-17
Newark, NJ

milan22 to Jmartz0

to Jmartz0

Re: [iO] New Guide Rollout

The guide:

The Bad:

1) The "Past" section on the guide is obnoxious & worthless. Takes up precious guide space. Which now only shows 1 hour and quarter rather than 1 hour and a HALF. Remove the Past section and you will be able to see a full 2 hours.

2) No more color (red) for programs that are set to record. Only "red dot" in the programs section. So now you don't know if you have something already set for recording UNLESS you slide the highlighted "field" to that program field and look for the red dot.

Example: A program at the furthest right just peeking out, which you can ONLY see the first few characters of the program title, you have no idea if it's set to record, UNLESS you now slide over to that "field" ALL THE WAY to the END of the field to see the little red dot.

Before the WHOLE field was RED. No need to slide anywhere. You knew it was set to record.

3) Cannot "customize" recordings to your exact specific needs. It's a 2 step process now. Have to go to dvr section to customize any program.

Example: Want to record a program that's at 8:00pm - 10:00pm. but you ONLY want to record specifically from 8:27 to 9:15pm. You cannot do that now. 2 step process. First just record the whole show, THAN go to the DVR section and adjust it there. Before you could do that right at the initial recording setup.

Yes, I know about adding minutes/hours to the End of the show feature. The Start time feature is blacked out. You can't adjust it at all. (at this present time) Only adjustable from the DVR menu.

Also this is bad, because let's say you have 2 recordings PREVIOUSLY SET (days/hours ago)

One at 8:00pm-8:30pm, One at 8:00pm-10:00pm. And you want to record a New THIRD from 8:00pm-10:00pm. You obviously can't. It will clash. But you CAN record the third from 8:30-10:00pm. (provided you miss the first half hour) .....THE OLD GUIDE. Can't do that now with the New Guide. You would have to cancel it all and work backwards. First do the THIRD recording, than go to the DVR guide to adjust to 8:30-10:00pm ... then got do your other 2 recordings. Before you could do this at anytime, right from the guide.

The Good:

1) It's lightning quick.

2) Descriptions are bigger now. Including artwork for movies. (which could be bigger)

3) You can adjust the guide to only show favorites.
rick0204
North Bergen, NJ

rick0204 to Jmartz0

to Jmartz0
I pressed the guide button on the DVR today and the old screen came up and I had to again click on Guide to get to the new guide. Yesterday it went right to the new guide.
dm145
Clifton, NJ

dm145

Update last night, been poking around

Pressing IO brings up first screen with six choices, channel guide/on demand/explore optimum etc...

Pressing guide button does indeed go straight to new guide
(Maybe your hitting IO by mistake)

Dvr button goes to old looking dvr screen, not sure if that's normal?

georgermct
PERFORMANCE
join:2000-05-12
Fairfield CT

georgermct to milan22

to milan22
Well this just sounds like we're going backwards with features and functionality is worse and not user friendly.
rick0204
North Bergen, NJ

rick0204

I agree completely. It is many more menus to navigate and the contrast makes the words very hard to read. I really expected a much better product then this. And I did press the guide button and nothing happened. After that I pressed the IO button. So now my guide button is useless!
dm145
Clifton, NJ

dm145 to Jmartz0

to Jmartz0
Love all the new features
Being able to customize guide
List Only feature
7 lines in gride
The colors are perfect for me, very easy on eyes and easy to see

Much faster
I have no problem finding what is set to record in guide

Wish it were full screen on my SA8300

Dvr menu is same as well as bar when you pause, ff and rewind

No real negatives yet
frdrizzt
Ronkonkoma, NY

frdrizzt to milan22

to milan22
said by milan22:

The guide:

The Bad:
Also this is bad, because let's say you have 2 recordings PREVIOUSLY SET (days/hours ago)

One at 8:00pm-8:30pm, One at 8:00pm-10:00pm. And you want to record a New THIRD from 8:00pm-10:00pm. You obviously can't. It will clash. But you CAN record the third from 8:30-10:00pm. (provided you miss the first half hour) .....THE OLD GUIDE. Can't do that now with the New Guide. You would have to cancel it all and work backwards. First do the THIRD recording, than go to the DVR guide to adjust to 8:30-10:00pm ... then got do your other 2 recordings. Before you could do this at anytime, right from the guide.

Can't you just use the manual recording via DVR menu to set a manual recording? Obviously wouldn't work with DVR+ (but they can have more than 2 concurrent recordings, so I know you're referring to SA 8300).

Besides "Favorites", "Subscribed" is another great guide menu option.
milan22
Newark, NJ

2 edits

1 recommendation

milan22 to Jmartz0

to Jmartz0
Yes, I wish it was in full/widescreen too.

That would probably show a total of 3 hours (left to right), maybe even 3 1/2 if they would just remove the worthless PAST section.

The colors are nice, but not having a recorded program/field (and during) NOT in total "red" is ridiculous. No reason whatsoever for them to remove that feature. Zero.

In fact it would have looked beautiful in the new guide.

The negatives don't outweigh the positives (much faster guide, that's the BIGGEST plus) but removing features that were time saving and helpful is just plain stupid.

Another negative.

In order to see more guide, (up/down) thus having more lines viewable, it removes the picture in picture. In now gets put faded in the background. It's your choice to turn this off or on.

They could have had a third choice of more lines, KEEP the small picture-in-picture box, ...BUT cut down on the size of the top section.

Can't tell you how many times I guide surf, while watching the channel I'm on (waiting for the commercial to come back, sports, etc..) And I know dam well that tons of people do this everyday.

In other words, I want MORE lines but I want the small video screen in the corner NOT faded in the background. The guide is quite bulky on top. A LOT of wasted design space. It's a good solid 3 inches from the bottom of the last line of info (and bottom of the small video screen) to were the actual first line of guide starts(the times). And almost 2 full inches wasted space on the top of the guide/screen to where the first bit of info starts/top of the small video screen.

Look at Awful left column. Everything from the channel numbers to the left is WORTHLESS space. Precious space. It's like your in the middle. Stupid. Look at the giant wasted gap of space between the video & info above the big NOW.

Not only that if you slide everything on the bottom to the left. You gain huge. THEN you could either make the top left screen BIGGER or make the info area for the programs BIGGER. You could fit the whole dam description instead of having to go to ANOTHER screen to see all the info.

This isn't rocket science. Logic was just not used in designing this guide.
milan22

milan22 to frdrizzt

to frdrizzt

said by frdrizzt See Profile
Can't you just use the manual recording via DVR menu to set a manual recording?

:

Didn't think of that. But it's still no excuse for them to take away a great feature.

SirQAM
@verizon.net

SirQAM to Jmartz0

Anon

to Jmartz0
This was rolled out on the Bergen-Cresskill system early this morning at 3AM. As usual per Cablevision, the converter shut-down, eliminating subscriber ability to view programming during the 10 minute process.

About the program guide:

The full menu function (outside of the guide) no longer works.
The text is small, and the color contrasting is ineffective at resolving this.
Not user-friendly.
Much slower than its predecessor.

But the biggest surprise is that now all of the unsubscribed channels appear through channel scanning with the "You are unauthorized to receive this channel, call Cablevision" message. Before, you could only access those channels manually. How is that useful?

And I'm glad the guy posted that picture of the weird appearance with the wasted space left of center. Thought is was only a problem on my end. Each time I saw that, I thought I was high on something Now I know it was CV who was high when they thought this was an improvement
dm145
Clifton, NJ

dm145

SirQAM,

I guess you didn't take the time to check out the features. But instead you were quick to post your negative review.

Of course a reboot was required to update the boxes

You can set the guide to only show subscribed channels as well as other choices

You are the only one complaining about the speed so your review has little credibility as far as I'm concerned

Very troll like

SirQAM
@verizon.net

SirQAM

Anon

said by dm145:

SirQAM,

I guess you didn't take the time to check out the features. But instead you were quick to post your negative review.

Of course a reboot was required to update the boxes

You can set the guide to only show subscribed channels as well as other choices

You are the only one complaining about the speed so your review has little credibility as far as I'm concerned

Very troll like

dm145,

My negative review has a lot of company.

I suggest you read carefully before you rush to challenge what others have to say, otherwise you risk appearing a little impatient and, perhaps, lacking credibility

I specifically stated: But the biggest surprise is that now all of the unsubscribed channels appear through channel scanning with the "You are unauthorized to receive this channel, call Cablevision" message. Before, you could only access those channels manually. How is that useful?

I was NOT referring to scanning channels through the guide. I was referring to scanning channels by pressing channel up or down. You would have understood this had you read the rest of my comment which referenced the authorization message, which did not ever appear in the guide listings, but only when tuned to the channel.

This issue hadn't existed before the rollout last night, and I have had CV service for well over five years.

WK2
Premium Member
join:2006-12-28
united state

WK2 to Jmartz0

Premium Member

to Jmartz0
Has anyone in Stamford, CT get the new guide?
frdrizzt
Ronkonkoma, NY

frdrizzt

Samsung boxes only in CT at this time.

Jmartz0
join:2000-07-20
Tenafly, NJ

Jmartz0 to milan22

to milan22
So I assume you know that when you push the left arrow into that "useless" space and go back about an hour it turns into a VOD menu showing you all the channels that offer VOD content and lists the shows that are available on-demand, right?
milan22
Newark, NJ

2 edits

1 recommendation

milan22 to Jmartz0

to Jmartz0
Some more things WRONG with the new guide.

2 HUGE problems.

1) The new guide no longer gives you a description (or any info for that matter) of the program that you are watching that you recorded with the DVR.

Example: You DVR'ed NCIS. You are watching it (DVR) You hit INFO, what comes up is zero, nada, nothing. Before it would show the episode info for NCIS episode, the time it's on, the date, etc... Now it show absolutely nothing. It doesn't even say NCIS !!! It only pulls up a info screen that's blank. Just like when you his info using On Demand.

2) We all know, (maybe not, but should) about the replay live tv feature. Basically it's as long as you Don't Change the channel you are watching, You can rewind up to an hour of that program on that specific channel.

Well with the old guide you could record that very hour under the same "rules". The new guide you cannot.

Example: You have the History channel on. (it's been on for hours) But let's say you weren't in the room at the time (or somebody else was watching & you come in). And let's say it's a 2 hour program. It's about 45 minutes into the show. If you hit record and DON"T change the channel. It will record/save from the beginning of the show's start time going forward.

The new guide DOES NOT do this anymore. It now basically works like a VCR. Hit record it records right from the time/spot that you hit the button. It will no longer record the "saved" past minutes from the beginning of the show like it did before.

These may not seem like a big deal, but they are really huge for someone that uses these features all the time.

3) Small problem but still very annoying. While in the guide, if you hit select while hovering over a field/program instead of just going to the channel (like it did before) it now asks for a "confirmation press" by hitting Watch Now. So you now have 2 steps to go to a channel. Annoying.

P.S. - Update on the PAST section on the Guide. Thought I would get used to it ... NO . It's still stupid and worthless. Found out that NUMEROUS times it shows BLANK FIELDS in the PAST section. Why you may ask? Because the title of all shows obviously is in the beginning of the field. Soooooooo , when the show in over an hour long, and you only see a half hour section(in PAST), you will see a BLANK field, instead of seeing any title. So many times the whole left side will be totally blank.

Bottom line the PAST section is a DUMB, WORTHLESS, and is an UNCREATIVE design FLAW. It takes up precious space that we all crave in the guide.

Can't even image anybody could disagree with this.
rick0204
North Bergen, NJ

rick0204

And now if there is 2 shows being recorded and you want to record a third it will not list the 3 shows like before - you will just get a message that there is a conflict and do you want to cancel the 3rd recording.

And some of my shows are not recording at all. I record the news every morning at 6 AM. Ever since the new guide was installed no recording of the news. I have tried all different combinations of recording options for a series but so far nothing has worked.

Can I get the old guide back please?
milan22
Newark, NJ

1 edit

milan22

said by rick0204:

And now if there is 2 shows being recorded and you want to record a third it will not list the 3 shows like before - you will just get a message that there is a conflict and do you want to cancel the 3rd recording.

And some of my shows are not recording at all. I record the news every morning at 6 AM. Ever since the new guide was installed no recording of the news. I have tried all different combinations of recording options for a series but so far nothing has worked.

Can I get the old guide back please?

Never knew that. That's another problem. So it no longer allows you to cancel/replace one of the other 2 programs already scheduled to be recorded? Only to cancel the new third one?
rick0204
North Bergen, NJ

rick0204

Correct. I was trying to set up a new recording of the news and on one of the days there was a conflict with 2 other shows. The new guide only asked me if I wanted to cancel the 3rd recording (the news) and did not list the other 2 shows or let me delete one of those.

SirQAM
@verizon.net

SirQAM

Anon

Even for standard viewing, CV's new guide sucks. In Guide 1.0, when you were watching a channel and wanted to see the program information, all you had to do was push INFO twice on the box and you saw most of the details. In Guide 2.0, you have to push info, then on the remote control push "left arrow", then read some of the description, then push "down arrow" to read more description and sometimes repeat that step. Then instead of the text disappearing after a while, you have to push EXIT to get out of it. I had to practice this routine several times, and I'm still not 100% comfortable with it.

My aunt also complained that it occupies too much of the screen and the huge INFO graphic at screen left when simply switching channels is annoying. I couldn't agree more.
Spence1
join:2013-03-19
Brooklyn, NY

Spence1 to milan22

to milan22
This is a picture I edited showing what I thought the new program guide should have looked like. It resembles the old guide's interface but with the new guide's color and design (It's full screen since I only had a few online pictures to work with, but it's just an example)
milan22
Newark, NJ

milan22

said by Spence1:

This is a picture I edited showing what I thought the new program guide should have looked like. It resembles the old guide's interface but with the new guide's color and design (It's full screen since I only had a few online pictures to work with, but it's just an example)

F'n BRAVO !!!!!

That's what the dam guide should look like. Now just imagine that widescreen showing 2 hours maybe even 2 1/2 left to right.
dm145
Clifton, NJ

dm145 to SirQAM

to SirQAM
said by SirQAM :

Even for standard viewing, CV's new guide sucks. In Guide 1.0, when you were watching a channel and wanted to see the program information, all you had to do was push INFO twice on the box and you saw most of the details. In Guide 2.0, you have to push info, then on the remote control push "left arrow", then read some of the description, then push "down arrow" to read more description and sometimes repeat that step. Then instead of the text disappearing after a while, you have to push EXIT to get out of it. I had to practice this routine several times, and I'm still not 100% comfortable with it.

My aunt also complained that it occupies too much of the screen and the huge INFO graphic at screen left when simply switching channels is annoying. I couldn't agree more.

Or you can hit guide then info

Btw, hitting info twice on old guide did not give you all of the description either and there was no way to expand it

I also did what I described above to make up for this short coming
dm145

dm145 to Jmartz0

to Jmartz0
I noticed that if a program starts before midnight and ends after midnight even one minute after midnight, the description in the guide for that program is No Data.

Programs that end at midnight are fine
Programs that start at midnight are also fine